• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My first LBCS ... Caution unbiased opinion

RaserX

Hey guys,
Finally, My much anticipated first Little British Car Show!

Keep in mind, I still know very little about these cars.

I arrived at Harbin Park (Fairfield Ohio). It a well maintained municiple park on the outskirts of the city. There was a five dollar a person gate charge (kids were five bucks too). My wife daughter and I parked in the lower lot and walked immediately up to the midget section. Not really knowing what to expect I was suprised by the variety of cars. We walked past a clean red 1970ish tilt nose Saab. Very interesting car.
As we approached the music was blaring and many people milling about. We first met a friendly gentleman named Chip. He was extremely accommodating and offered to let the wife and daughter sit in his green 74 midget I'm amazed how small these cars really are. But, the wife said it was nice sitting in a seat with the foam and webbing I good shape. Note: I need to replace all but the frame on my seats.
Unfortunately there were only three street midgets and one race version. I did get an idea of what the interiors should be like. Suprisingly, my interior is not much worse than many of the cars i saw. I may have too high an aspiration for my car. I honestly thought a car show would be full of A Class freshly restored cars... Let's just say I'm still naive. These people obviously drive their cars.... Alot... And that's a good thing.
Also, some of the paint jobs where really disappointing... Again I'm naive. These cars are forty to fifty years old. It really was an eye opening experience ( in a good way). As I saw many types of vehicles I had never seen up close before. My wife fell in love with a 53' (?) morgan(?). It was burgundy and black and absolutely gorgeous.
All in all we had good time and met an interesting mix of people and vehicles. Some ( lotus guy) a little over the top.
The most disappointing parts was the lack of swap meet material ( I need a hood). I think there was one guy with a few odds and ends at the swap section.
I plan on visiting the Dayton show which should be fun and maybe get a ride in a midget. I will post a pic later of the wife ( traitor) in the 2011 white jaguar ( sport?)
Thanks for reading guys. Hope I didn't offend anyone

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sounds about right. First observation, everyone comes to car shows and no one wants to hear that their baby is ugly. Sadly the shows on TV show only the best of the best (or the richest of the rich depending on your point of view) these shows are pretty good and mostly just car guys who like to swap stories.

You are correct about most midgets. Remember these were the throw away cars when they were new and even now are really not worth a lot. It's a great entry level car and many are survivors or patched survivors.

You will almost never find a top at a swap meet partly because most meets are American Iron and partly because if it is worn out on yours, it's worn out on theirs.

The really good news is that since your wife fell in love with a Morgan, show her what one costs and she will let you buy whatever you need for the Midget.

Oh, and Nelson lives in Dayton IIRC. If he is there, get him to drive you. His is one of the best around. BTW, the biggest British show in North America is outside Toronto in September. Come up for that

OP
R

RaserX

Hey JP,
I'm far from thinking the midget is ugly. However, It is definately a base model no frills car when compared to.... Well almost all the other cars... Lol. I still like it though.

I would love to catch up with Nelson.

And the the wife hmmm 2011 jag or Morgan... Tough choice :[

On serious note. I did find one MG (B?) convertible in dark purple with biscuit interior ... Looks like I'm going that way and I think I will go with the chrome wire wheels. The cars I saw them one looked good. I'm not sure how to go about the engine. Probably stock. But, the plain flat black everything is not really appealing.... Decisions decisions.

My lord... I just checked the jag xkr is only 100k and the Morgan 40ish K. O..0

Country flag
I wasn't able to make it to Cincy. My kids had their swimming championship meet today. I guess I can try to make it to Dayton. Honestly, car shows (for me) are just an opportunity to hang out and talk about cars. I have a stack of meaningless trophies. My favorite car events are ones that involve driving tours of twisty backroads or even a low key autocross (I'm not interested in competitive SCCA autocross). TSD rallies are not fun for me. Gimmick rallies are OK and endurance runs are sort of cool.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Nelson is from Cleveland Area not Dayton but he indicated several months ago that he was planning on coming for British Car Days. Bugsy will be there and if you want a ride I'm sure I can arrange. I know John Kuzman is coming with one of his BE's and Skip Jackson from Cincinnati is always there. You'll find 12-15 Spridgets of all varieties in attendance although they separate Sprites and Midget into different classes. It's a great show plan on coming.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
RaserX said:
Hey JP,
On serious note. I did find one MG (B?) convertible in dark purple with biscuit interior ... Looks like I'm going that way

NOW you're talkin'!

Attachments

• 29201.jpg
    29201.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 86
OP
R

RaserX

Yup, that would've awesome bugsy. Would love to meet up. Really want to get daughter and wife on a ride. They would get jazzed up riding in the little car. I'll be there.

Mickey,
We're you at the show? That's the car I saw. Looks good in dark tulip.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
RaserX said:
Mickey,
We're you at the show? That's the car I saw. Looks good in dark tulip.

No - a bit out of my way. Plus, the car's at the shop getting some paint issues touched up (actually, a respray).

Black Tulip was not on my radar until I saw one at a show. Janet and I are LSU grads, and we had to go with purple and gold!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
When you say you are looking for a hood are you talking American Englisg or British English. A Convertible Top or a Car Hood? Kent Miller in Cincinnati might be able to help you with some spare Spridget parts he has availableif you are talking a physical hood not a convertible top.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rust issue on leading edge problem or missing hood period.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
RaserX I sent a note to Kent Miller in Cincinnati on your behalf. He lives off of Colerain Ave. in Cincinnati.I believe he may have a hood available. He's on here sometimes but mostly on Spridgets Autox page. He goes by cosmicmag1380

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
RaserX I sent a note to Kent Miller in Cincinnati on your behalf. He lives off of Colerain Ave. in Cincinnati.I believe he may have a hood available. He's on here sometimes but mostly on Spridgets Autox page. He goes by cosmicmag1380

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
RaserX said:
Hey JP,
I'm far from thinking the midget is ugly. However, It is definately a base model no frills car when compared to.... Well almost all the other cars... Lol. I still like it though.

I'm not sure how to go about the engine. Probably stock. But, the plain flat black everything is not really appealing.... Decisions

Not suggesting that Midgets are ugly - I love mine! (and have a thing for ugly cars BTW) but, the point I was trying to make is that people generally don't want to hear their car needs paint or carpet or whatever, or they don't care.

In terms of the engine, doesn't have to be black.

Attachments

• 29212.jpg
    29212.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 251
OP
R

RaserX

Hey JP,
I would never insult a persons car. Nothing is ever perfect. More of an observation vs what my preconceived notion was. I'm glad everybody drives and uses their cars. To me that's far more important that a show queen. Admittedly, show cars are beautiful. But, they are kind of like beauty queens... Good to look at but impossibly high maintenance....

As for the engine bay... I'm thinking subtle wrinkle voted valve cover and low key highlights. Your bay looks good and clean.... Nice.

Bugsy.... Thanks for the lead on the hood. Hope to hear from him. If it weren't for the fact that my shoulder is going under the knife Thursday, I would be starting my tear down. I believe I'll weld up a rotisserie from harbor freight engine stands and have at what patching needs done.

Anybody, recommend a local paint dip/strip place? I'm thinking a pretty dep resto project... Maybe an e coat primer dip... Just not sure of price.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Flapper wheel on an angle grinder. You can do it all pretty quick. Others on this list have submitted their Spridget to a dip/strip procedure only to find nothing left. Not the way you want to go.

OP
R

RaserX

Nothing left!!!??? That. It the way to go for sure.... Old metal and stripper... ?

Eastwood has the rust converter... Might try that

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
I must say I truly enjoy the shows, a lot of people want to talk cars and what you and they have done. While my 65 may be called an entry level type car there are not a lot of them out there, you usually find more Bug Eyes and later Midgets. So if you have an early Sprite don't be bashful spruce her up to the best of your abilities and go have some fun. What really draws the interest is what is under the hood. Make it pristine, make it show well also clean up your interior, suddenly bad paint fades away. Most of all enjoy the day and never be embarassed.

Mark

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Right. Go enjoy and do not be embarrassed. This is a shot of my Prefect at its first all British car show. We didn't give much competition to the Rolls, Bentley and Sterling in our class but we probably drew more spectator interest then they did. Definitely something different from the usual Brit sport cars that show up.

Attachments

• 29221.jpg
    29221.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 145