• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More fun

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I bought this 30 dollar can of Red Kote stuff to line the gas tank and take care of a few pin holes. Its supposed to be the best like radiator shops use. I'm cleanin out the tank and find one drawback. I cannot get the fuel pickup line out of the tank. I llok in with a light and mirror and see that the line goes to a strainer that is held in place by a metal bracket and the tube is flared on the end going to the outside of the tank. I cut a hole in the top of the tank that I can patch with a metal plate and gasket. I got to think on it a little before I do anything else. I WILL get that tube out even if it destroy the tank, I would have to get a new tank anyway at that point. I know that sealer would stop up a strainer.

Biff

Jedi Trainee
If you remove the inner tube you will destroy the tank. PERIOD

Coat the inside of the tank and before the coating sets up blow air through the tube from the outside of the tank, in other words re connect the fuel line that comes from the tank and blow air through it. The wire screen may be clogged but the fuel line won't be. Sounds like you have already did a good DPO on the tank already.

Biff

Jedi Trainee

Coat the inside of the tank and before the coating sets up blow air through the tube from the outside of the tank, in other words re connect the fuel line that comes from the tank and blow air through it. The wire screen may get clogged but the fuel line won't be. You can then poke holes in the strainer again or do what most do remove it. Sounds like you have already did a good DPO on the tank already.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

Coat the inside of the tank and before the coating sets up blow air through the tube from the outside of the tank, in other words re connect the fuel line that comes from the tank and blow air through it. The wire screen may be clogged but the fuel line won't be. Sounds like you have already did a good DPO on the tank already.

[/ QUOTE ] Good idea. I will see if I can remove that strainer and leave the line in there. I know the strainer wasn't working anyway because of all the crap that used to get into the inline filter I installed. Wish I had talekd to you sooner I could have done without the hole. I think I could have torn out the strainer with a piece of hard wire. I know I can patch the top with a plate and gasket. I would be very nervous about blowing air through the line. the red Kote papers say not to even blow air into the tank to speed drying because bubbles in the liner will cause it to fail. That sealer is not going to stop up a 1/4 in line anyways, but I might find a way to block it from the inside that can be pulledout through the hole.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is ok to give the line a shot of air to make sure it is clear after the coating and before it hardens.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I made a patch plate for the hole I cut in the tank today and then removed the trainer leaving the line in place and then sealed the tank with two coats of red Kote. I think it is going to work out ok. Man, that stuff has some strong fumes, but I have enough stuff left to do another tank in the future if need be.