• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Miata seats

donandmax

Subject: 1979 MG Midget
I have ordered a pair of Miata MX-5 seats to fit the 79 Midget. Is this a PITA job ? Or is it pretty much of a drop in. On another forum the poster said the rails fit almost exactly with just a little work from a file to get the holes to line up. What yall think.
Don M

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Don,

Been gathering info on this subject myself. Hope this helps. At the bottom of this post is a link to pics of a '79 currently up for sdale with Miata Seats installed NFI of course, included here for reference purposes. Here are responses from two folks who have gone the Miata Setas in s Spridget route. General consensus watch where you drill the mounting holes. Gas and brake lines are under there.

My question to Neil this Spridget Owner
Can I get some more info on using the Miata Seats.
1) Comfort vs. Spridget Seats?
2) LegRoom vs. Spridget Seats?
3) Seat Frame Rails, did you redrill holes or modify to fit existing Seat Frames Mounting Points?
4) My Roll Bar pushes against headrest on my '68 Spridget. Look like you've got lots more recline available vs. standard seats wit hbig fat Spridget Headrest. Not sure how rollbar will affect as Miata Seats appear thinner than Spridget Seats especially in the headrest area. Also narrower at the top so the will not be banging against the side of the rollbar.
5) $120 is just about the going price on Miata Seats in OH as well.
6) Fabric Insert, definitely cooler than the faux vinyl on standard seat.
7) I have a tonneau cover off of a '69 that used similiar pointy headrests. Hoping that this Tonneau will fit with Miata Seats ok. My other tonneau off of a '68 headrest pocket is not near as big.
8) Speakers in headrests. Do they work well? Present setup is a set of 6 x 9's in rear deck and little tweeters up front from Radio Shack simply used to load speaker outputs on CD player. Cranking up load enough to hear at speed = distortion big time. Curious on headrest speaker quality.

Response
Way more comfortable, increased leg room, nice adjustment.
Came with rails, so drilled the floor to match.
Tonneau should fit, but i don't have one to try.
Speakers in headrest are nice and can handle high power.
(Note:Headrests have zippers on side and speakers can be installed)
I did mine based on the classic article, very pleased.
I'll see what I have for pics, but do not have any of mounting brackets. Thye were easy to fit, but watch where you drill on pass side, fuel / brake lines may be in teh way!
Good luck
Neil

Similar responses from David Lieb of Chicago
1) You said you did not like the Miata Seats in your car and went
back to
> Spridget Seats. Why, oh why?

My Midget seats are pretty well worn and I am almost sitting on the floor pans. I actually like that. The Miata seats raised me enough that the top of the windshield was in my way. I was also a little less than comfortable with
the seat angle, but I did not figure out exactly why. Also be aware that the brace across the floor behind your heels restricts the motion of the seat and the adjuster. Somehow I just didn't have the "part of the car" feeling that I love about my Midget. Of course I don't get that in the Miata, either, so it could be the seats ;-) Or me.

> 2) Sticky pleather seats on Bugsy are extremely uncomfortable and even though seat bladder and lower cushion have been replaced not exactly comfortable for any type of long term driving. Cloth seats can sort of breathe I would think.

Trish loves the cloth seats in her Miata. I prefer leather, but it is her car. For that matter, I would love to rip out the sun visors on her Miata, too. At least you do not have Bugeye seats which get uncomfortable by the time you are out of the driveway. You are right, the cloth seats do not
stick to you. You can also buy seat heaters for them ;-)

> 3) Bugsy has a rollbar installed. Right now headrest bumps against rollbar and I've lost some recline in the seat back. Miata seats seem to be narrower in the headrest portion and I think I can get additional recline back to make seats more comfortable once again. Any comment?

I had not yet installed a rollbar when I had the Miata seats in the car. I agree that the bar compromises seat position and I frequently wish it was not there. I do not know how the Miata seats will interact with the bar, but
it is possible that the thinner seats in the newer (2000+) Miatas might fit better.

> Also have windblocker installed that bolts to top of rollbar and back > sides on rollbar so it sits on an angle. Does not appear this would interfere with Miata Seats.

I have the windblocker that attaches to replacement brackets by the hinges for the top bows. I have removed it because it really didn't do anything for me.

> 4) I've got a tonneau from a '69 Spridget that used the pointy headrests. Doesn't really fit my headrests so I bought another that fits properly. Think condom post coitus and that is how the '69 tonneau fit the headrests. I'm thinking that this just might be the ticket with the more
pointy Miata Seats.

My Miata seats fit my stock 1972 tonneau cover. Sometimes I had to adjust the seat-back position to line them up. I now use one of the gray cockpit covers and my tonneau sits in a corner of the garage.

> 5) Frame Rails, drilled new holes or fabricate a bracket?

I drilled new holes in the floor. A bracket would simply exacerbate the issue of seat height. I think that it would be easier to cut off the locating spikes on the bottom of the Miata rails next time rather than try to drill six precise holes per seat. Beware of brake lines, fuel lines,
and emissions return lines before drilling!!! The Midget seat holes ALMOST line up...
David

Another Note: Need to install Pass Side seats on Drivers Side so seatback recline lever in in the center same as Spridgets do now.

Pics of Spridget with Miata Seats installed

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/car/410815983.html

bugimike

Yoda
Another alternative to consider that I have found satisfactory are these seats from a Corvette. I do not know the year they are from as they were given to me, but they are a drop-in fit (I did have to drill 2 holes per seat to get everything attached) with plenty of room, fit the standard head-rest pockets in a late-model Sprite tonneau cover and have the cloth inserts which are perfect in the Fl. heat! I mounted them without slide-rails as I am the only driver and placed them to my liking (which is as low as possible and as aft aspossible!), but it would be a simple matter to adapt the Spridget seat rails to the bottom of the Vette seats (there would be approx. 5-6" fore and aft adjustment possible!) The seat backs release to drop forward with a button in the back of the seat.

Attachments

• 7450.jpg
    7450.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 141

scott421

I have these MX5 seats in my TR6 . I fabricated brackets so as to use the MX5 runners but do not need to drill the floor . The speakers work well , even at speed . the seats are far better for both comfort and support . I am looking for another pair just not to fit to my wifes Midget which I am starting to respray now.