• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Major Problem-65 Fuel Tank

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
I decided to refinish the inside of my fule tank as it was not looking too good for future use. Purchased a tank cleaner and resealer kit from Eastway. Took about an hour, removed all the connections except the one on the inside of the tank which connects the fuel tube to I guess the bottom of the tank (did not know it existed when I started). I have to tell you the inside of the tank is absolutely beautiful and ready for clean fuel but. The sealer covered the opening at the bottom of the tank where the fuel is sucked up to the pump.

I do not know what else I could have done to prevent this. Anyone else make the same stupid mistake? Short of cutting the bottom out of the tank and cleaning out the port any other suggestions? Prettiest inside of a fuel tank in central Ohio, truly a museum piece at this point.

Mark

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Mark,
Man, I wish I could help out..I boiled my tank..or at least that is what I thought I paid $40 for..it still had crud in it. I then flushed the daylights out of it with water, let it dry for 2 days then started the POR treatment: Marine clean and metal prep..but now I am in debate for what you just said..I am skeptical of putting the sealer in for fear that I clog the pick up tube. It sits in that little depression, no way of not getting the sealer on it. I was thinking if I seal it, I could try to blow compressed air through the pick-up bung before it sets..but then I'm guessing if that works, I'll blow some sealer away from the tank bottom underneath the pick up as well..

I was contemplating cutting off the bottom of the tank, sealing and then re-welding, but I'm sure the heat will destroy the sealant around the weld area..so..that is out unless I cut the top off..

Maybe if we keep them full when parked???

Interested if you come up with a solution.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Find an old speeedo cable insert, cut the end at an angle and put it on a drill and see if it will clear the blockage worth a try.

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
You could also rig an air line from a compressor at maybe 2 or 3 PSI, just enough to keep the passage open. Positive air flow will keep the tube open and probably help the sealer dry better. I was lucky in the fact that my tank was almost new so I just rinsed it out with water and cement floor cleaner, let it dry and it worked great.

Country flag
Have someone with small hands cut the end of the screen, then place a filter before your pump.

OP
HAN8L1965

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
Trevor,
I guess you are telling me that there is a screen at the end of the tube and that is now blocked. Do you know how far above the tank floor the screen is? I was also thinking of rigging something up on my dremel as mentioned in one of the other posts and try drilling it out but did not know if that worked that the new opening would be big enough. Either way I will be installing a filter before my pump.

Mark

Country flag
Mine had a screen on the end of the tube. I cut a hole in the bottom of it after I sealed the tank. It has worked fine for several years, but I do not know which years had the screen.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not for sure, but think they all did.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Make sure what ever you us to poke out the screen that is flexable speedo cable whatever. if it is not fleable enough you could streses the piont where the tube goes from horz. the vert in the tank and risk cracking the solder joint. Symptom of this happning is running out of gas and the tank is 3/4 full so be careful or you may endup seeing the screen from a cut out hole in your tank and you dont whant to go there. Dont sweat loosing you tank screen. Of the 5 people that I know who have sealed there tanks 3 plugged there tank screens it no bigge. slap on a filter before your fuel pump (we all should have one there anyway) and forget about it!