• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lowering 1500 where to purchase parts in USA ?

Thor

I am thinking I would like to lower my 1500 about an inch. In the Moss catalogs from Europe you can purchase this stuff but it runs about $500 dollars. I don't see any stiffer coils or springs in the USA Moss or even BV catalogs. Does anyone know a place one can purchase such parts on this side of the pond?

Thanks

Bugeye58

Yoda
Just change the front springs to the chrome bumper version, and install the 1" lowering blocks in the rear.
Moss P/N for the springs is 264-615, and VB has the block kits, P/N 5-9995. There is also an inexpensive kit from VB for the front, P/N 5-9994.
Jeff

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Don't even get the blocks - cost me $60 to get the rear springs dearched an inch - and that is Canada labour prices - also left the spacers off under the bolts at the front of the rear springs. - And yes, 1275 springs up front - I pulled them out of an old car.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Good call, JP. I've never used the blocks myself, but since the question was aimed at the source for parts...............
Jeff

OP
Thor

Thor

I am trying to understand the suspension logic and what negative effects just switching to a 1275 spring and coil would bring, if any.

It make sense to me that your car is lowered due to the fact that the 1275 suspension was designed to hold less weight. Thus the springs and coils are compressed more lowering the car but doesn't that mean your suspension travel is limited and you would bottom out more?

The coils I saw in the Euro Moss catalog are lowered plus had a rating of around 340lbs verses the standard that is rated at 270lbs. I assume the rear suspension is similar.

I know the ground clearance on the 1500 (from ground to exhaust) is about 1.5 inches. Lower then the 1275 I am figuring. Have any of you using the 1275 suspension in the 1500 had clearance problems and/or handling problems?

Bugeye58

Yoda
The 1275 springs are shorter, thus lowering the car. There are springs available in different rates.
I have no direct experience with the rubber bumper cars, so can't answer your exhaust clearance question.
Jeff

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Moss does have 400lb lowering springs. (Meant for the 1275) so it'll put it down about 1 1/4. Good price too if I remember correctly. In the back you can take the spacer out from under the front perches for a cheap 1/2 drop.

You can also use spacers and longer bolts on the spring bucket in lower control arm to lower the front end.