• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Lowering my MGB

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Hello gents, I have some money to complete some winter projects, and I intend to lower the MGB, install the '78 sway bar, and give her just a tic of toe-in and negaive camber. These are what I plan on ordering later this week. Am I forgetting anything? Should I make any changes?

480 lb./in. springs 264-385
Rear spring lowering kit 264-140
Rear spring pad set 281-600
Rebound straps 267-565
Shortened bump stops 266-590
Negative camber wishbone arm set 264-038
Polyurethane A-Arm bushings 280-485
Link, RH, sway bar 264-840
Link, LH, sway bar 264-830

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I would go with the 550lb springs if your not changing the rear springs out as they are more than likely quite low already. Whats the height of the rear wheels center of the wheel to the bottom of the chrome strip. Save your money on the bump stops. I installed a set and the fit was well lacking and if I where to do it again I would just mod the stock ones.

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
There's no sag in the rear that I can see; however, the car has been given a tube shock conversion (I'm restoring the car back to lever shocks before I lower it, don't worry). Will the stock bump stops be sufficient, then? I do want to replace them. As for the springs, Moss has two listed, "Road/Sprint" and "Road/Lowered." Which would be better for handling? I'm not much for comfort, so no worries there.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Ride on mine is smooth with the 550 springs and poly bushes. My car handles on rails with very little body roll. Making the change from stock 4x4 height without a sway bar to lowered with sway bar is incredible. You will swear its not the same car.

The bumpstops in the front is fairly simple and achieves the same result as the lowered one from moss. I would do a search to be sure but I think it's as simple as unbolting the stock one removing the alum. spacer from the bottom of it, cut the spacer in half and then remount the bump stop with the alum. spacer on top of the crossmember instead of below it.

The rear while it may not be noticeably sagging if the spring are original odds are they are already decently low. If your rear end measuring as above is around 15.5 to 16" adding the blocks should put your B about level with the 550 springs.

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Hmmm, I thought those bump stops I listed were for the rear, as the catalog recommended new rear bump stops for older springs.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
It shows up as the front bump stop. For the rear I would just go ahead and cut a half inch off and if you do hit cut a little bit more off. I did a half inch off the back and I have yet to hit them. New rear bumpstop is 266-530 Another thing to check are the pedestals on the axle. If they have hit the bumpstop a few times they may have slightly collapsed If they have you will not be able to remove the old ubolts or install new ubolts. The part number is 266-540.