• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How many cars?

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
While my kids were visiting we were reminiscing about different cars I've owned and it prompted me to add up all those I've had and turned over. I was amazed! In 43 years of driving (shows my age) I have had 56 cars. Not including my wife's cars, not including my kids' cars.
That's 1.3 cars per year!
Anybody crazier than me? (cars you've actually owned and licensed/titled, and not as a salesperson)

G

OK, I'm 35, been driving for 18 years, and I've had 11 cars. That works out to .6 cars/year. Sorry, I can't come close to you yet jayhawk, guess I better get on the ball and catch up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyone have the phone number of a good divorce lawyer?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
27 (that I can remember!) in 37 years of ownership - 40 years of driving. Of the 27, three were projects that were never quite finished ('59 MGA, '59 Alfa Spyder, and '53 Mercedes 220 sedan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif), so they really shouldn't count.

Mickey

Steve_S

Yoda
16 years of driving, 8 cars and 3 motorcycles. The sad part is that 5 of those cars have been MGs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
In 43 years of driving (shows my age) I have had 56 cars.

[/ QUOTE ]
In 45 years of driving, I have only had 21 cars and trucks and one motorcycle, so you are way ahead of me. But there was a 10-year period from the mid-'70s to the mid-'80s when my kids were young and car build-quality was pretty poor that I only bought a couple of cars. However, I have also owned several of my cars for periods ranging from 17 to 31 years.

I guess it can depend on how long you keep a car or how many acres of parking you have behind your house! Or maybe how long you have been married to the same woman? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
J

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Steve-- yep the wife finally gave up- I never used "household" money for the "extra" cars and they came in handy when the driver cars needed maintenance/repairs-- that kept things pretty congenial. Finally also convinced our little suburban city to let me build a 2-car garage behind the house so if they were in the "mighty ugly" stage they could be hidden away. There are still lots of interesting cars available (I've also had 5 MGB's and am on my second TR-3)

Steve_S

Yoda
I just realized, I've only sold 4 of the 8 cars I've ever owned. And only one of those cars I sold was British. However all the cars I kept are British.

A

aerog

19 years since I had my first car, in all I've had 8 - still have 3 of those now.

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Yikes! Looks like 44 years and 46 cars/bikes, or 1.04 per year. To make matters worse, I spent half of those years driving company cars, so most of the owned ones were toys.

OP
J

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Man, you guys are great-- Can't wait to tell my wife and buddies who think cars are just appliances that I'm in good company with people who love cars and can't wait to experience the next one. Sounds like some cars are hard to let go tho.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
In 52 years of driving, I have had 17 cars, 3 RV's, 4 motorcycles, & 3 trucks. We presently have 2 cars, 1 RV, 2 motorcycles, 1 truck & purposely "no room for any more". The cars are 4 & 48 years old, the RV is 5 years old, the truck is 20 years old, & the motorcycles are 35 & 21 years old.
D

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Been driving for 11 years... Borrowed dad's car whenever it was available for two years [1984 Olds Cutlass Supreme 4-door, 305 engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif], then nine years ago (spring 1995) - with dad's help - purchased my first car [1987 Chev Cavalier, 2.0 4-cylinder with delightful 5-speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif], owned it until 11 months ago. Had one car for three months until the clutch gave up [a Chev Beretta, car I'd rather forget], then acquired another car which I'm still driving right now [1990 Plymouth Sundance, could be for sale if an older small station wagon could be tracked down, must be a 5-speed though!].

So that's three cars in 11 years of driving and 9 years or car ownership - nothing in collectors status yet (see signature below).

So as you can see I'm pretty loyal to my stuff... And my good friend here in town purchased his 1981 Camaro at least 12 years ago now (his first car) and he still owns it nd still drives it regularly as his only car...

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Off the top of my head, about 50 in 50. More interesting ones: 6 Vets, 2 MGB, 3 Spit, Jag XK140, 2 Tiger, 1 Alpine, 1 Cobra replica, 4 corvair, 4 Mustang, 2 AH (large) and a couple dozen regular transportation. Bob Oops, forgot the Elan, Miata should not be in with the regulars either.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Ahh! The most interesting. Another story. In roughly chronological order:
40 Chevy convertible with 400 inch V8
BN2 Austin Healey with V8
58 Chrysler 300D
New 69 Kawasaki Triple motorcycle
79 Mustang with high pressure turbo & nitrous oxide
85 Mustang V8
New 83 Triumph TSS 8 valve motorcycle
Another BN2 Austin Healey "without V8
D

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
I'm 57 and I've been driving since I was 14 (ok so I lied to the DMV)I've been driving for 43 years. I've only had 19 cars (Some were pretty unique though,Cobra 260 Slabside, Bentley S1 and a few others), I tend to keep my primary car between 5 & 10 years. I currently have 3 Jensen Healey's and a 2002 GMC 1,500 ExtraCab-Long Bed.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
In the first 15 years I owned 7 cars, but in the last three I went through an additional 15.

So I'm at 22 in 18 years of driving.

Bret

Yoda
Good question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I've "owned" 24 vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs, minivans and motorcycles) in the past 29 years of driving. This list includes company cars and personal vehicles that I used as “daily” drivers and/or sit in my garage & driveway. .

The question of “how many cars” got me thinking about how many vehicles I have ever driven in my life time thus far. That said I’d have to say the number falls well into the hundreds, but I can’t really recall with 100% certainty the exact number. However that’s “only” counting the vehicles of work associates, friends & family. As well as the occasional test drive while car shopping the real number would be much higher.

And that is where I made the big mistake and my head really started to hurt. I tried to figure out how many rental vehicles I've driven over the years. Just taking into account the last three years with my current employer - I figure a conservative estimate would be about 45 - 50 per year over the last three years with my current employer. On average I rent about one vehicle a week and sometimes mutable vehicles depending on how many cities I fly in & out of.

Except for the more exotic and/or luxurious vehicles – I’d say if you can name it - I’ve probably driven it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Cheers,