• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help with unplugged unidentified wire please.

JerryL

Freshman Member
Hello, I have a 78B with a 76 motor and radiator (no electric fans)

My wife bought the orig 76 in about 78 then about 81 rust brought on the switch to the 78 body, we have had this car nearly forever. I have not been driving the car much the last few yrs since my wife passed. But decided to start driving it more so that brings us to today, car runs great, webber, header, no smog stuff.

But with storing the car the water pump was leaking, replaced it last night cleaned the radiator ect.

So the temp sensor wire / sensor just under the t.stat in block, that wire has an additional wire in its "harness" (2 wires only) it is green, heaver gauge and has the black plastic protection sleeve on it that has a set that leads it back towards the coil, back of alternator?? wire has an insulated female spade connector on it and it is about a foot longer than the temp gauge wire.

Any Idea what this is to, I do not remember it as a "spare", it is not hot with ignition on or off, does not check to ground, car starts, gauges work, checking V at the batt looks to be charging when running.

My first thought is I knocked it loose when dropping the alternator to remove the water pump.

Anyone know where this wire should go, I appreciate your help. I would post a pic but new at the site and dont see a photo link for up load.

Regards

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome! Just looked at a schematic for a B from here https://www.advanceautowire.com/schematics.htm it appears to me that there are only two spots that a straight green wire goes to under hood without a connection and a green + another colour wire connecting to the actual "thing" It seems like it is either the wiper motor or the washer pump. My money would be on the wiper motor since I seem to recall it has spade connectors.

See that you are from Black Mountain - I have many fond memories from Montreat and envy your proximity to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We also have a member with a Midget from Asheville (regularman)

let us know and pics are great!

mgnewbie

Welcome! Sorry to hear of your loss. I have a 80B and it too has a loose thick green wire in the same bundle with the temp sensor wire. I am guessing it may have been part of the original ignition system, but became redundant when the ignition system was upgraded to an optical pickup system. :confuse:

I too wud like to know what its real purpose is.
YB

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Could be for the EGR service counter & lamp, which in turn goes to the seat belt module, WR on the ignition switch and W1 on the starter relay. If this car isn't up to it's original factory setup, this wire would more than likely have no use, as this wiring is not for a 76. 78s had a complete different setup. JMHO. PJ

OP
J

JerryL

Freshman Member
Thanks, Have been traveling, will look at the vid on posting pics. Will look at the washer pump , but from memory it may be too far back in the corner to reach, not the wipers as they work.
The harness was the 78, I need to look more as I really dont remember it as a spare (like the plugs for the fan set up)
I am running a Pirtronox (sp/) But dont think that changed that BUT I dont know for sure.
The EGR stuff (crap) is gone and from memory again (which I have proven is failing) I am thinking all I hav was vacuum line(s) that i removed.

My first thought was the distributor the way the wire was formed, but started & runs, maybe left over from the pritronix?? will pull the box with the points stuff in it and look at the instructions & see if thre was a wire to be left off.

Again thank you for the replys.

Regards