• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

help with keys

M

Mike_Bouse

1969 Spitfire (<span style='font-size: 8pt'>w/ GT 6 engine</span>). I have no clue how many previous owners, and the last one....although readily available is clueless to answer almost EVERY question.

So, i was handed a key ring with two keys on it. one is ignition and the other apparently was for someone's padlock or something. PO doesn't know either.

the ignition key fits both door locks and, if worked gingerly, will activate those locks. However, that key will not go into the trunk (?boot?) T-handle lock. Sorry, my British speak is still new.

Should i have two keys, one for the ignition & doors, and another for the trunk?

And, secondly, where is the best place to begin looking for blank keys. I am quite paranoid about misplacing this one and only key that activates that sweet sounding GT 6 engine.

OP
D

DougF

The Roadster Factory carries an assortment of Triumph keys.
You will have to get the number off of you trunk lock to have it cut. TRF catalog has diagrams to help you determine what blank you need.
Don't be concerned about door locks. I would guess that hardly anyone locks their doors, it's easier on the convertible top.
You will probably want to get a spare ignition key while you're at it.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I know of 2 sources for precut keys for our cars... Pete Groh and George Richardson. A Google of their name with 'British' & 'Key' should get you info.

They buy up the original precut keys from defunct dealers, junked cars, etc and sell them by the code.

Not sure where the (3 digit) code is on a Spit boot lock but yes, it will have a separate key (possibly the same as the key for the cubby box [glove box]).

I have purchased keys from both these fellows (sometimes one has what the other doesn't). They try to make a little money on these but really they are performing a valuable service to our hobby... they're certainly not getting rich selling keys.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Assuming the original boot lock, it should be a Wilmot Breeden "Union" FS series (single-sided) key. You should find a three-digit number stamped on the square shaft of the assembly after you remove it, in which case your key code will be FS920 (or whatever the number is).

Chances are either Pete or George can provide an original, numbered Wilmot Breeden key if you so desire, or they can cut you one from that code. But if you're in a hurry, try a good, established locksmith in your area, who likely also can cut a key by code.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Thanks guys. Just getting started in this project. First British vehicle as well. My sources are a bit limited. That's what makes this forum great.

Share the resources!

My dash is in a shambles, literally. Am I supposed to have a locking cubby box? '69 Spit, ?Federal? dash....

And, I'm not new to convertibles. I fully understand not locking the doors.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Mike_Bouse said:
My dash is in a shambles, literally. Am I supposed to have a locking cubby box? '69 Spit, ?Federal? dash....
No locking cubby box, at least not as standard equipment. I know there was an (AMCO?) accessory lid kit available for the earlier Spitfire dash; offhand, I don't know if it would've fit the "Federal" dash. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Looks like there is just the remains of an open box underneath the dash .. five sided box .. where one would normally expect to find a glove box.

no sign of any hinges having been in use, so i doubt a lid, or cover was in place at any time.

does this sound correct?

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes, sounds right. Really more of a 'package tray' than glovebox. No front cover. Usually made out of modern high-tech pressed cellulose (i.e. cardboard).

You can get these boxes from the major parts suppliers if yours is really ratty.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

LOL ratty would be a compliment. more like bashed in on one side and kicked in from the bottom.

the whole dash looks like an elephant attempted to smush it about.

anyway, got the boot latch out. and found the three digit code.

and, my one and only ignition key has the following:
EN13 and FO249

do these look like good code numbers for a reversible ignition key?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Mike_Bouse said:
and, my one and only ignition key has the following:
EN13 and FO249

do these look like good code numbers for a reversible ignition key?
I don't think so. I think one or both refers to the key BLANK number on a replacement key. Does the key have a name on it, such as Ilco or Taylor? The typical original key would have Wilmot Breeden and Union on it.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Nope, no such names. and yeah, i think those may be codes for the specific blank. I've sent an email to Pete Groh. Hopefully he will be able to use that information and find me the correct key...mine is pretty worn.

and, that boot latch is not very sturdy, is it? i guess the saying is true...locks keep out honest people.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Mike_Bouse said:
Nope, no such names. and yeah, i think those may be codes for the specific blank. I've sent an email to Pete Groh. Hopefully he will be able to use that information and find me the correct key...mine is pretty worn.
Pete will get you sorted out for sure! He was very good to me last year in quickly and reasonably providing me not only an original "Union" key for my Herald but also a duplicate (nonoriginal blank). I didn't even want to try to get copies locally, mostly because the only key I got with the car was a well-worn duplicate!

Mike_Bouse said:
and, that boot latch is not very sturdy, is it? i guess the saying is true...locks keep out honest people.
Ha! You think that one's bad? You should look at the latch on most GT6s and Spitfire MkIV and later models. The catch part is a nylon(?) block! At least everything's metal on the earlier Spitfires!