• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help! Billowing white smoke??

spankyway

Alright, I rebuilt the distributor and carburator on my 75 MGB. I still am having a hard time setting the timing as my timing light blew the bulb. I am holding 58-60 degrees of dwell and I set my timing according to my vacuum guage, th engine holds about 20-22 pounds of vacuum at idle. I took it for a test drive today and I was ableto get it up to about 3500 rpm's before it started sputtering in all gears. I pulledof the road and started tinkering with the timing when all the sudden it started blowing a LARGE cloud of white smoke. When I go in the car and cleared the engine ofthe smoke it drove fine and I was actually able to get my rpm's up to about 4500 with out a problem. The car seems to have decent power even though I can't getany rpm's without sputtering so I don't know what the problem is. My fuel pump seems to work fine and just sitting in the driveway I can rev the engine up to redline with no problems, it's only when I drive it. Any ideas of whereto start?
I also have the opportunity to buy a running engine from a 70 model Midget for $300.00 would thisbe a good swap or not.
Steve

dklawson

Yoda
The color of the smoke is important as is the smell. Blue/white is generally oil and can be from wear and blow-by. Black is unburned fuel (rich mixture). White and sweet smelling is generally antifreeze and indicates a blown head gasket. White with a bitter smell is typically brake fluid that gets into the intake from a damaged vacuum brake booster.

Keep an eye on your car's oil and coolant over the next few days of driving. Look for any signs of oil in the water or water in the oil. If none shows up, keep an eye on your brakes and brake fluid (assuming you have a brake booster). I like getting an idle vacuum around 20 inches. There's nothing wrong with higher vacuum as long as the car is driveable, but your slightly higher reading may have allowed the car to suck in something like brake fluid on the wrong side of a vacuum brake servo.

OP
S

spankyway

I don't drive the car to work because I can't get it to run smoothly. I did notice that while the engine is runing if you pull the oil dipstick out the car runs smoother. I put my finger over the dipstick hole and there is a pretty strong suction. I don't know if this sheds any more light on my car or not. Also some one has removed most of the emission junk. I am frustrated with the engine and am considering a complete rebuild or buy a good running engine to replace mine. I love the car and really want to drive it but it does not run well enough and I don't know what to do to make it run better.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The vaccume is supposed to be in the crank case on "B" engines. The white smoke, momentary or not, is room for deep concern. Also, redlining a 30 year old engine that you know nothing about, isn't really a cool thing to do! PJ

dklawson

Yoda
How do they create the constant negative pressure in the case? I'm only familiar with cars outfitted with the Smiths PCV valve. That valve only allows negative pressure under the right conditions.

Steve_S

Yoda
Clean out your PCV valve and crankcase breather. Too much vacuum can suck oil into places it shouldn't be. Had a similar problem once where acid dipping the breather solved it. Good luck!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
I also have the opportunity to buy a running engine from a 70 model Midget for $300.00 would thisbe a good swap or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for an MGB - its a totally different engine

Does your white smoke smell or taste sweet...there should be some moisture left on the tailpipe that you can taste

OP
S

spankyway

I don't remeber what the smoke smelled like, all I can remember was it was white, came on VERY quickly, and there was alot of ot, it looked like the car was on fire. Once the smoke cleared I did not see any more coming from anywhere. It was fairly quick, all within say less than one minute.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Next time it does it, jump out quickly & taste the liquid at the exhaust pipe.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Next time it does it, jump out quickly & taste the liquid at the exhaust pipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moonshine?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is a valid test.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I say it'd be sufficient to just *smell* th' cloud... but that's just ME. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
If it's got antifreeze in it, it'll taste sweet. Why do you think dogs and cats love so much to drink it? I seem to remember back in the late '70s or early '80s a mass producer of wine getting busted for using glycol as an ingredient in their wine. That's just not right! Anyway, if it's sweet, you've probably got a busted head gasket.

Dave

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
cats & dogs are stupid - they drink it...you're going to put a little on your tongue, get the taste, & spit it out!

not quite up and this but, He did say he rebuilt the carb. Now isnt that a water choke carb? is it possible that it isnt together quite right and the choke leaked a little freeze into the carb? Migh also account for the lack of enginge R's as well?

just thinking.....

mark

OP
S

spankyway

I thought my son was going to cough to death when it happened, he was still in the car and trying to get out. That was pretty funny.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
SADIST!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

*seriously*... the smell of coolant will be "sweet" without the need to ~taste~ it... Your olfactory sense will let you know if it's coolant or not.

OP
S

spankyway

[ QUOTE ]
not quite up and this but, He did say he rebuilt the carb. Now isnt that a water choke carb? is it possible that it isnt together quite right and the choke leaked a little freeze into the carb? Migh also account for the lack of enginge R's as well?

I did build the carb but the water choke is not on the car, when I got the car is wasn't on there,I had to go find one and I haven't put it on because I am not sure how it all hooks up and I have been considering a manual choke or a dual carb conversion.

I have smelled steaming antifreeze and honestly I can't recall what the smell was. I am starting to think it was brake fluid.

just thinking.....

mark

[/ QUOTE ]