• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Good News and Bad News

G

I have been assuming for the longest time that my rear main oil seal on my crankshaft was leaking because I always have a little driblet of oil on the weep hole in the bottom of my bell housing. Now that I have everything apart, I noticed that the front of my old flywheel was dry as a bone and yet the inside of the bell housing is nice and moist with oil. Hmmmm. I tipped the tranny up on it's end and an hour later, oil. Now, I did indeed drain the thing overnight before removing it but there is always some residual oil left inside. And, in the photo you see what I discovered. It was my front oil seal and gasket. Slow me down! I had to call Moss and get them to rapid-ship so I can get back on this next Friday.

The good new, is I got the primer coat on my new floorboards, finally. Tomorrow, I will put the finish coat (Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black) with a brush. It will all be covered with carpet.

Also, I drilled a 1.75" hole into both front rocker end plates and with a strong flashlight was able to see that there was only surface rust. My custom-made brushes work, I am coating the insides with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator paint. I have used this on various parts of the frame over two years ago and it works!

rename.jpg

oil.jpg

You can get a glimpse of the aluminum flywheel on the back of the engine. Also, in the bottom right, the only SnapOn tool I own, my torque wrench.

swift6

Yoda
Wow. I thought tha bad news was going to be worse than that. I guess that is telling of how my day has been so far. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Not too bad of news if it should be fixed with a new seal in the tranny. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Snap-On money wisely spent there, Bill. Good that the front trans seal "puked" as it did. Otherwise you'd be PO'd at yerself for not just DOIN' it as 'insurance'. Floors look beautiful, BTW. Your 'application dusters' are clever. I've used pressurised bugsprayers in the past, may start "rollin' my own" as per your description of the 'puffball' ones.

...I just "panned right" to see the torque tool... It's still IN THE BOX!!! geez!

...oh, and just so's ya know: the heater control valve ya have there is the same one used on the Lotus twincam 1600's. In case ya need to "elevate" your car's pedigree when some schmuck points to it and laughs... Where's my ~DEVIL~ icon?!?!

OP
T

Tinster

Hey Bill,

I knew my oil seal was leaking so I bought
a new one and have it. Took off that piece
the oil seal sits inside of.

I turned the tranny on bell end this morning
looking for the comm #.

What a frigging mess of oil gushed out.

d

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill,

I bought the Eastwood Red Inhibitor to brush on my frame after I use their cleaner to clean and remove any surface rust that may be there. Is that what you primed the pans with? I'm also going to paint the frame with the Extreme Black.

OP
G

Hey Paul, no, I used regular ole red lead primer that I bought from a marine paint store. The same kind they use on the bottom of boats. The kind they say is not available anymore. It is. The whole body of my car was orginally primed with red lead primer. Wherever this wasn't removed, there is no rust at all.

OP
G

TR6BILL said:

Notice that I also welded over my new floorboards' "jacking hole". Believe it or not, the Heritage floorboards are not the same gauge as the original, in spite of their claims. By my measurements, the new floorboards are a bit thinner than the original sheet metal. Yes, I measured without paint. With a micrometer. I welded two plates, one first from the bottom then one on the top. I figured that I increased the overall "stiffness" of the new floorboards by a measurable amount, albeit a very small one.

Today I will lay out some seam sealer and overcoat the whole thing, if my wife doesn't revolt.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Lookin' good! My "home-made" floorboard in the Spit is actually made out of the back door of the Discount Tire I worked at about 6 years ago! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Definately thicker than original! Same metal wound up in both of my "Challenge" cars...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Musta been some big door! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

That work is lookin' spiving, Bill! Niiice!

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Bill,

All of your leakage problems will go away if you'll just send ME that worn-out O/D transmission and let me exchange it for a trouble-free non-OD box.

Everyone knows that you will be MUCH HAPPIER with higher revs on the highway...women will flock to you with your louder exhaust note...the sounds of a 3500 rpm TR6 is a certain aphrodisiac!