• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Garage plans?

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Anyone have any advice or information on getting a garage built? Would like to do a 3-car garage in the backyard to hold the 3 Triumph cars and the Triumph motorcycle.

Thanks!

Scott

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Make it BIG. With a heater and A/C . A fridge and bathroom. The rest will follow.

OP
HerronScott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
lol Thanks Dan!

After restoring my original TR4A in a barn with a gravel floor, I'd just be happy for a concrete floor and some walls that didn't let the cold winter wind blow through!

Scott

PeterK

Yoda
HerronScott said:
Anyone have any advice or information on getting a garage built? Would like to do a 3-car garage in the backyard to hold the 3 Triumph cars and the Triumph motorcycle.

Thanks!

Scott

Where would put the rest of your stuff? Make it bigger, with a loft for parts storage.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Check your zoning laws. See what you're allowed to get away with. I.E. In some places installing a bathroom makes it "liveable space" and is taxable as such.

If I had my druthers here's what I'd do. Make it at least 1.5 stories tall (preferrably 2) and double the car length deep. Get a working lift at one end and a four post storage lift at the other end.

Add plenty of working counter top, and storage (I like the chrome baker's shelves). Put in a mammoth air compressor and run hardline around the building with quick couplers. Heating & A/C are *very nice*. Make sure you've got plenty of outlets wired and *lots* of good lighting.

The nice amentities are fridge, coffee maker, wireless internet, couch, and flatscreen TV. :smile:

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
You might want to check the garagejournal.com forum. :yesnod:
I agree check the Zoning law. I was supprised how helpful the zoning office was. Who would have expected that!!

Country flag
My two cents is build as big as you can for the lot and what your pocketbook will allow. I piece built the one here at home. Got one guy to do the concrete. Another one to do the blocks, bought pre form rafters and had someone do the roof (metal). I did get a lock and key price up front. Figured I came out about $2500 ahead. But that was 10 years ago.

Marv

Lewis_McDorman

rlwhitetr3b said:
You might want to check the garagejournal.com forum.

Yup. I've been on that forum for a while.

Ask specific questions at the zoning office. One of the guys on garagejournal had to stop construction on his 2-story garage, after the roof was on, and have it cut down to a 1-story because the moron at the zoning office failed to tell him that a detached garage can't be taller than your house in Anne Arundel County, MD. It ended up costing the homeowner about an extra $40,000.

Anyway, if I had a heated garage, the bay on the end would have a perimeter trench drain and be closed off with a big shower curtain so I could wash cars in the Winter.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My thought on the roof. Get preformed foam sections like this.
Roof

That way you can get extra height.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JodyFKerr said:
Check your zoning laws. See what you're allowed to get away with. I.E. In some places installing a bathroom makes it "liveable space" and is taxable as such.

If I had my druthers here's what I'd do. Make it at least 1.5 stories tall (preferrably 2) and double the car length deep. Get a working lift at one end and a four post storage lift at the other end.

Add plenty of working counter top, and storage (I like the chrome baker's shelves). Put in a mammoth air compressor and run hardline around the building with quick couplers. Heating & A/C are *very nice*. Make sure you've got plenty of outlets wired and *lots* of good lighting.

The nice amentities are fridge, coffee maker, wireless internet, couch, and flatscreen TV. :smile:

That's a w** dream.I wish I could do that.

- Doug

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Make it as big as will fit and not visually compromising the house / curb appeals. I'll send some projects over :smile:

Exciting stuff Scott. (The garage that is)

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Scott,

How about one like this? "NO"; Its not mine but I sure wish it were. If I recall; This one was posted sometime ago by a BCF member. I hope it comes out OK.

Best Wishes on Your project,

Russ

PS: The darn thing did`nt work.

big6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
After many web searches and purchasing several garage idea books I ended up designing my own. My garage is 30’ X 36’. I started by digging the footers and poured 3000 pound concrete in the footers and the 6” thick floor at the same time. I have two 12’ X 8’ high garage doors located on the 30’ side so I did not have to worry about sag at the doors due to being located on the non-load bearing wall. With the 12’ doors I have two feet on each side and two feet in between the doors. The side walls are 10’-0” high with vinyl siding. I used trusses for the roof having a 6 – 12 pitch on the outside and a 3.5 – 12 pitch on the inside and asphalt singles on top. With the “Cathedral” ceiling allowed me the height to install a two post lift that has the hydraulic lines and balance cables on the top. I did not want a lift with the hydraulic lines and cables on the bottom requiring a drive-over and in the way of my tool cart. I have storage and benches on the three non overhead door sides. I installed two windows each centered on the two 36’ walls high enough to prevent looking into the garage or easily climbing into the garage. On the 30’ side opposite the garage doors in the cathedral area I installed two exhaust fans. Not only do the fans remove fumes but also aid in cooling. I installed electrical outlets on the walls approximately 4’-0” apart having ground fault outlets connected to two other outlets as per code. The outlets are 4’-0” off the garage floor also per code. I have planned for three runs of 96” florescent lighting switched separately. I have one florescent lighting run presently installed in the center. The local building inspector stated that my garage is built better than most single family dwellings that he has recently inspected. After the inspection signoff, I had the power company bring 200 amp 220 VAC power service to operate the power garage door openers, lighting, lift, air compressor, machinery, welders, and future HVAC system. I can easily park four cars inside.

My next project is interior insulation, finished walls, and HVAC. I am presently researching duct size and placement. A 2 ½ ton heat pump appears to be the correct size for the garage area.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Minimum ceiling height of 10 feet if you want to install a lift. Don't make the depth just shy of what you need to double park your cars. I see lots of garages that are 28 feet deep. That allows one car and tons of unused space. I went with 32 feet deep so I can double park on one side and work on the other. Added a rolling four post lift to the parking side, so now I can park three cars on one side. The other side has room to work on a car, a bench, shelves, and the staircase to the wood working shop on the second floor. If you go two floors, strongly consider an open floor plan using LVLs or TGIs instead of conventional framing with posts that get in your way. Install one of those whole house fans in the ceiling/attic.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and what's the emoticon for jealous?

ArcticOne

As a professional engineer and an auto enthusiast I offer four pieces of advice:

But first and foremost, figure out what you want in advance. Is it for vehicle storage only? Is it for repairs or restoration? What do you want the garage to do for you? Do not consider what the 'next guy' might want - we are all different and the 'next guy' will change what you do.

1. GET DESIGN ADVICE FROM A PROFESSIONAL (OR AT LEAST SOMEONE WITH LOTS OF KNOWLEDGE). Ties in with # 2, but in reality professionals do know what they are talking about. Errors come solely from miscommunication.

2. DO NOT BE CHEAP. Shrinking the size or leaving out key elements now will only come back to haunt you in the future.

3. BUILD IN FUTURE ADAPTABILITY OR EXPANSION. Example - compressor and air lines as mentioned above. You may not be able to afford a wonderful system today, but some point in the future you will be able to do so - design the garage to allow you to add it in later and minor additional cost.

4. DO NOT BE EXTRAVAGANT. Unless you plan on living in the garage what value are flat screen TV's and a couch, etc. in a garage? Include what you need, but forego the extras until needed.

jb

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
ArcticOne said:
4. DO NOT BE EXTRAVAGANT. Unless you plan on living in the garage what value are flat screen TV's and a couch, etc. in a garage? Include what you need, but forego the extras until needed.

We're spending someone else's money - this is the <span style="font-weight: bold">perfect</span> time to be extravagant!

(good points BTW)

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Floor drains. Power and light on separate circuts. Exhaust fan in peak. Have fun...

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I to am designing a house. The garage is of particular interest for me.

Making a garage 3 or 4 feet deeper during construction is minimal cost. If it works with the design, go 30 feet or more.

The lists are interesting, but I keep coming back to an issue my friend has with his. he bought it, put his Mini on it and raised it up only to drive the garage door opener through the cars top. If you have (or will add) a lift, the ceiling is not the limiting factor unless you can live with a manual door. The garage door opener hanging down will be the concern.

Another item I am considering is Spancrete. I will be on a hill and can actually add a Spancrete floor with a "second" garage below. A simple two car garage grows to a four car unit and proper ceiling heights below would allow for a lift :smile:

Plumb for anything and everything when before the sheet rock is attached!

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
ArcticOne said:

I don't see that as being extravagant. You're talking a multi-thousand dollar budget here. What's a couple hundred for a flat screen and 20 bucks for a goodwill couch?

The real extravagance of it is space consumption. I work in my little 2 car garage and it's being progressively filled with crap from my wife and 2 kids. I'd *love* the space for a nice comfortable place to sit.

I don't know about anyone else, but even on good days I get sore and tired and need a good sit down periodically. SWMBO won't let me within 20 feet of her couches until I've scrubbed and changed. There is one grease stain on her couch and I have to hear about it every time I come inside.

The other recommendation I have: Hot water! When I replumbed SWMBO's laundry room I added a hot and cold line into the garage. Having that hot water comes in *very handy*!

Jody