• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The non-garage garage

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Suggestions requested!

I have no space to legally build a real garage on my property; my "free space" is too close to adjacent property and septic leach field. But I sure hate to leave my old car (presently a Rambler) outdoors; New England rain, snow, dust, summer sun, and critters cause problems. I only have a gravel driveway and parking area; can't have a concrete slab or driveway, due to nearness of neighbor's septic leach field.

From experience, I know that "all weather car covers" don't protect much, and can lead to mold or even *more* critters inside, not to mention scratching the paint when putting on and taking off the cover.

I don't want to rent a garage (ca. $200/mo) over a mile away - even if I could find one. I've done that before, and working on the car is next to impossible.

So I'm considering single-car versions of carports like:

View attachment 46355

View attachment 46356

View attachment 46357

I'd have to keep the gravel parking surface I have now, but enclose the carport sides with solid walls (provided by manufacturer). It's really frustrating to see acid rain spots and bird droppings eating away at the paint - not to mention trying to work on the car with sun blinding me with glare.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
you see a lot in Northern Ontario - as long as you don't expect a "real" garage, you should be fine - and, I expect you get what you pay for.

Might also be worth considering finding a place to store for the winter as you (we? as we get older) aren't likely to be crawling around outside anyways. I found a spot in a condo undergound parking lot (ABarth69's sister in law) for a great price. Ask around and you might find an empty garage.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You also should check zoning laws for temporary structures.
I do agree with JP.... Check around and you just might find a suitable space at a reasonable price.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks J-P and Elliot. I've been looking for a local covered parking space for over five years. Nothing - believe me, nothing. Closest I found was a $600/month "small warehouse", on private property, in a "dubious" neighborhood.

I'm checking manufacturers for snow load, warranty, etc. Have to carefully balance the need and size, to what my free space and the local regulations permit. Every county has slightly different regs and definitions.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You should also inquire about UV inhibitors for the material. The ones that are not protected won't last long.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just a thought : You might double-check the local codes to see if unoccupied structures still require the same set back from the leach field as a home does. Sometimes the rules are different (or even non-existent) for small out-buildings; especially if you can get away without pouring a footer. Usually there is a 10 foot setback requirement for the leach field to the property line, so even if you build to the line, you should still be 10' (minimum) from the field.

If you can clear that hurdle, it might be possible to get a variance for building a garage to the property line.

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Check zoning for possible shed without a permanent structure base. We can erect sheds with plywood floor as long as not permanently affixed. I placed mine in concrete blocks buried in dirt and exposed about 2 inches above ground level. You could also use railroad ties as base. In our town as long as the structure can be moved it qualifies. Can not has to be movable.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks gents. Fortunately the county *will* accept a non-floored structure right up to the septic leach field. However, the town won't accept *any* structure that's within 10 feet of another property line.

So my (admittedly last ditch and laughable) idea is to find a "carport" which will fit between my workshop and the leach field. Here's the area:

View attachment 46364

Needs to be relatively flush with workshop on left, but not block the doors, and extend only to the right where the gravel stops. Edge of gravel marks edge of septic field.

Green shed is lawn stuff. So there's about 20 feet left to right, and 20 feet from rear of Rambler to back of green shed. Carport can't extend any further toward where I'm standing, as the supports would interfere with parking the other car.

(Sometimes it seems there are way too many puzzle pieces to wrestle with ...)

By the way, see all that nice flat open space beyond the green shed? It's not my property ....

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I cannot see how the town allowed a leach field so close to someone else's property.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Short version: the two properties were originally one piece, owned by one person. My house was built on that property in 1826 - the only house there. But the owner in 1972 decided to build a modern house, and rent the original old house. When she died, her family split the property into two properties and sold them separately, to two different people.

So the property line between the two properties came into being *after* the two leach fields were put in.

Nothing is simple ...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Another thought - is there someone near you,
that'd let you park a storage container on their property?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I can't add anything beyond the suggestions already given. But I like your Rambler. My grandson has a '60 Classic that he is slowly trying to rejuvenate.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I can't add anything beyond the suggestions already given. But I like your Rambler. My grandson has a '60 Classic that he is slowly trying to rejuvenate.

More Rambler photos. Really runs well now, even the "Flash o matic" 3 speed automatic.

https://s224.photobucket.com/user/freemangarden/slideshow/1958 Rambler American?sort=6

When I was a kid, we had a 1952 Nash Rambler wagon. Then moved "up" to a 1956 Rambler Cross Country wagon, then a 1961 Rambler Classic wagon.

T.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Grandson's Rambler was bought new by my wife's grandfather and has been in the family ever since. So it has a lot of sentimental value too. Do you have any suggestions of parts sources for him?