• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Pictures of my own Garage Find TR3

boxofparts

Country flag
I bought this back in 1990. I worked hard on it for a few years and then got busy with life. This is the third garage it has called its home under my watch. Along the way I found an TR4 OD trans and a hardtop. Engine has the big bore kit and D cam. Lots of new parts.

Every time I uncover it I get the urge to start working on it. It appears to be in a stable state but I would love to get some primer on it to really buy me some time. Any thoughts?

IMG_6675.JPGIMG_6676.JPGIMG_6677.JPGIMG_6678.JPGIMG_6665.jpgIMG_6679.JPGIMG_6680.JPGIMG_6683.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6663.jpg
    IMG_6663.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 143

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Since it appears that most of the hard metal work has been done, I'd strip off the existing surface rust and get some primer on it. It actually doesn't look like you're that far off on getting the body done (lots of filling and sanding, but with the exception of a couple of small dings, the heavy metal work has been done.)

The fact of the matter is that the values of these suckers have gone up enough that it is very much worth getting the project moving forward. There are plenty of things you can do here and there: recover seats, get the head done (if need be)...just start moving forward. It will be an awesome car when you're done.

Any decision on what color you'll eventually paint it?

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Been there a few times over the years. It's either hoe in, or send it out. Upside is overcoming the challenges and seeing it take shape. Downside is a diminishing wallet. Bliss is the first time you hear engine noise. Double bliss is first drive around the block.

Many people aspire to respore a classic car. Few achieve the dream.

Viv

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
That is a great looking project. Much, Much better than I have seen quite a few people start with. Looking forward to seeing it completed. Cheers, M. Pied Lourd

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
...Many people aspire to restore a classic car. Few achieve the dream. Viv

So true. Restoring a car from ground up is a major undertaking, even a simple TR2/3. I am approaching the 90% point, and I swear it will be my last. Then again, I said that after my first ground-up too.

In your case, it looks like you have a very nice starting point - trust me - if you hang around this board long enough you will be amazed at some of the projects some people have started with. My advice is to lay out a realistic time line based on your free time and disposable funds, and then set a goal of achieving certain milestones. And then...the hard part - start going at it. There will be set backs and major financial layouts, so be sure to have a few small subassemblies that are not expensive (foot pedal box, heater etc) to restore on the go for satisfaction. Learn to distinguish what you can reasonably do and what should be farmed out. There is also a certain satisfaction to taking an old piece of crap part to the mail box and have it come back ready to go (speedo, tach for example). But, before you pick it back up, be sure you are all in. No sense throwing money at it and then bailing out a year from now.

The car as it sits (if complete with all parts) would probably bring $5k to the right buyer (taking over a partially finished project is only for a small subset of enthusiasts). You lose the satisfaction of building it, but perhaps the financial gain and elimination of the long road ahead may also be a good way to go.

OP
boxofparts

boxofparts

Country flag
My time line on this project started over 20yrs ago. It started from a failed restoration attempt and here it sits again. I feel that it may have been scrapped if it were not for my work. I installed new inner and outer sills, rear dog legs, rear valance, front inner fenders and floors. It was is really bad shape.

After a good clean up of the steel and some metal prep, what is the best base paint to preserve the project to the next step? I have heard of self etching Epoxy Primer and POR15. I figure I can do a lot of the inner stuff without a lot of expensive tools. The painting thing and these primers scare the heck out of me.

It would be ideal to get some local shop or fellow car guy to prime it after all the dirty work.

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
I have been there too...
The reward of taking a risk…what’s the greatest threat to the pursuit of happiness? Doing Nothing…

My advice would be to take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have it stripped and primed professionally. I had mine mineral blasted, rust repaired and primed in a high build epoxy primer. It wasn’t cheap ($2,450) but in the end it saved me time and money while I worked away on other stuff knowing I had all the rust issues under control. I am on year 23 of the restoration project and still married! Also I created a restoration plan that outlined what needed to be done and identified if I would do it or if it would be done by others that really helped me organize myself.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
My time line on this project started over 20yrs ago.... After a good clean up of the steel and some metal prep, what is the best base paint to preserve the project to the next step? ...

You are at the cross roads and it's time to spend some money. Get the tub re-cleaned and primed. I'm sure the shop that shop that cleans the tub will know some local shops who can prime it. Then finish the body work and then its tub paint time. Here's a good starting point, there may be shopes even closer to you but this one is not too bad: https://www.stripitallblasting.com/contact.html

Load the tub up onto a rental Penske truck and away you go.... you might find this thread of interest (post #15) . WHile I went chemical stripping instead of dry, a lot of the steps are the same. https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?66091-TR3-Body-Stripping-Bare-QuikStrip-Allentown

TR6BobNF

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Been there a few times over the years. It's either hoe in, or send it out. Upside is overcoming the challenges and seeing it take shape. Downside is a diminishing wallet. Bliss is the first time you hear engine noise. Double bliss is first drive around the block.

Many people aspire to respore a classic car. Few achieve the dream.

Viv

So very well said Viv! Great line. Those of us who have accomplished the task have truly had a life-changing experience.
Cheers,

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
I believe you have a diamond in the rough! Rule of thumb is that you need to buy the best body you can find as that is the most expensive area to repair.....you already have a GREAT LOOKING body to start with after your prev work. Today's paint systems are very complex . Be sure that each component will work with whatever "system" you choose .....1 part, 2 part, epoxy, etc. BE VERY CAREFUL as some are not compatible with others and expensive paint work can be ruined if each part is not part of the "family". This includes primer, filler, paint, etc. You have done all the heavy lifting.....time to get it a set of new clothes and not look back......it will be a beauty!