• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front End Suspension Bushings

NC Mike

I'll soon be ordering replacement bushings for the 1974.5 MGB-GT I'm working on.

Existing bushings are original equipment rubber, dry-rotted, and partially extruded from their proper place in the world.

I've seen that a number of materials are available, and am wondering if those of you who have changed your bushings might have any suggestions.

I'm undecided between the V-8 style originals, nylatron, polyurethane, and Prothane sets.

I'd prefer to do it right the first time, hence the inquiry.

Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
When my car was more of a street car (than it is now), I fitted the polyurethane bushings. Lots of folks warned me that they would be too harsh, but I found them to be fine for the street. They are much easier to replace when worn than the rubber bushings (which some folks has needed to drill out or burn out. I still have those bushing in the car now (5 years later) and they are still in good shape with no slop. Aluminum bushing are also available, but they are not intended for street cars.

OP
N

NC Mike

Definately don't want aluminum. Not going for the high performance race set up.
Just looking to restore correct function without the deterioration aspect of the original rubber bushings.

Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but nylatron would be a bad way to go since it's hard to install and will transmit a lot of vibration. rubber is cheap and transmits less vibration, but it wears quickly and is generally low quality. i think poly is the way to go, reasonable compromise between performance, comfort and reliability......

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I had heard from several sources on here that the way to go was the V-8 bushings. I bought a set but was unable to get them (with the steel liner) onto my somewhat pitted shafts on the pivot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you have a paypal account and want to make me an offer, let me know...they are still in the opened bag, but never used.

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
N

NC Mike

I've been leaning toward the polyurethane bushings, but I'll keep your offer in mind Bruce and let you know.

Thanks,

Mike

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Mike,

I replaced the rubber suspension parts on the front of my MG a few years ago with polyurethane. I have not noticed an harshness in the ride. As Nial mentioned the installation is very easy compared to rubber bushings which usually need to be forced into place. I've been to a some club tech sessions where several club members struggled all day push tiny rubber bits into place. My son and I did my MG in about half a day, the hardest part was removing the old rubber. The polyurethane pieces literally slide into place. IMO polyurethane will give you good service, not deform as rapidly as rubber and keep front suspension geometry consistent.

Safety Fast,
Dave

Todd16

Mike,
I would agree with the choice of poly bushings. I have been looking to do the same with my 69 C. In England most of the shops have done away with anything but poly bushings. MG Motorsports (www.mgmotorsport.com) recommends Superflex poly bushings. I have also seen Polybush (www.polybush.co.uk/) as a popular manufacture along with Energy Suspension sold by Victoria British. You are fortunate since all of these suppliers make parts for the B. I’m forced to go with Superflex as the only supplier for the C. Not that this is bad, but choices are nice.
I have heard conflicting opinions on the use of poly bushings. Some swear by them, others say their to hard, others they don’t last, others they squeak. I think it comes down to personal preference on ride, and quality of product. Since they are quite a bit more expensive than rubber, I think some of these guys are buying the cheapest ones available. Thus the poor reliability and performance. My opinion is if you'er going to do it do it right. I hope this is helpful. Please keep us posted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif