• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Flipping the tub

crew43

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'm looking for the best way to turn a tr3 tub upside down for repair work to floor pans & sills . Suggestions ?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Tush had a great rotary if you do a search. Others have too. I just used a wood dolly screwed to the outrigger mounts and tipped the tub on its side to work under it.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tush had a great rotary if you do a search. Others have too. I just used a wood dolly screwed to the outrigger mounts and tipped the tub on its side to work under it.

Wasn't me :highly_amused:

I went the low tech route. I braced the doors with some angle using the hinge points and the door striker plate for pickup points. I had an old futon mattress. I simply rolled the tub up on its side and then over on top of the futon...easy peasy.

Cheers
Tush

OP
C

crew43

Freshman Member
Country flag
Flat on the grd. A couple guys to help and just roll it over slowly. UNLESS it is that rusty.

Marv
Thanks to all for the suggestions . The tub is in good shape except the bottom of the left sill . I'm repairing that before I remove the body . Any idea what the tub weighs ?

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I put cross braces across the door tops, with a central brace between the two braces. I used a come-along to a rafter to lift the tub off/on to the frame. Since I was doing this in half my garage (alone), each time I needed to work on the chassis or tub, I pulled the tub off. I used some 6" to 9" threaded rods into the mounts to make dropping it back onto the frame easier and got to where I could get it off and/or on in less than 30min. To work on the underside, I simply held one side of the tub up, while I lowered the tub onto some tires lying on the floor. I don't know the weight, but a completely stripped tub is light enough to hold with one hand while working the come-along with the other. -It's too bulky to try to lift, but it's really not that heavy. I was more worried about denting/bending the new rockers, or other body panels than weight. I supported the tub with 3 wooden bar stools while painting the underside or when welding in the new battery box.

Attachments

• flippin_TR3.jpg
    flippin_TR3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 83

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I'm not sure of what it weighs, but it only took three of us to lift it off the frame and onto two sawhorses, one guy on the front and two on the back. I also had the doors off.

OP
C

crew43

Freshman Member
Country flag
Flat on the grd. A couple guys to help and just roll it over slowly. UNLESS it is that rusty.

Marv
Looks like I may be over thinking this . I'll be doing this in a limited space also , so simpler is better . Ya don't know what ya don't know ! Thanks again

OP
C

crew43

Freshman Member
Country flag
Another question , where the rocker meets the dogleg , I assume this was leaded at the factory ? There is a good sized channel when the lead is removed & I'm curious if body filler is ok to refill it . It looks like they used lead to finish the door opening in the rear & since I'm not really good at flowing lead , I'd hate to ruin that line .