• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Felt bush replace in steering column

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am replacing the felt bushings in the steering column, and the lower one seems like it might be a bit tricky to replace. Any tips on this?

johntennyson

Country flag
I did mine about ten years ago and as I recall, it helped to oil it before shoving it in there, but I also seem to recall needing to shave it a little thinner to keep it from binding. The amount it binds also depends on how tightly it's coiled around the inside of the tube and how hard you shove it in there. I remember it as being a bit of an oily mess and a PITA to get right. You might want to get a couple of them to play with/try different thicknesses as you do the job.

HTH

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks, and suggestions on the oil to use? Or a light grease?

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I ended up pulling the column and working the felt in... yes a little lube is nice...but...use something that won't smell like your work shop...how's about good old bedroom vasoline???

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
alright, I used some 5wt. shock oil for mountain bikes, and the thing feels like crap and squeaks. The upper had to be shaved down substantially as well. Why do most simple projects with these cars turn me into an alcoholic for a day????

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
alright, I used some 5wt. shock oil for mountain bikes, and the thing feels like crap and squeaks. The upper had to be shaved down substantially as well. Why do most simple projects with these cars turn me into an alcoholic for a day????

Just a day???

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
No kidding. I had to shave down the upper felt about 1/3, and use bicycle bearing grease to get it all together, now hopefully it will break in and not be so stiff. Such a simple project, such a PITA. But now my horn works normally.

nomad

Yoda

I've noticed over the years that mechanic's in general tend towards alcoholism!:highly_amused:

Kurt.

markberry

Jedi Trainee
I did mine about ten years ago and as I recall, it helped to oil it before shoving it in there, but I also seem to recall needing to shave it a little thinner to keep it from binding. The amount it binds also depends on how tightly it's coiled around the inside of the tube and how hard you shove it in there. I remember it as being a bit of an oily mess and a PITA to get right. You might want to get a couple of them to play with/try different thicknesses as you do the job.

HTH

X2

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Does steering rack possibly need shims changed or adjusted. I had this issue when I changed out pinion gear on the rack. Did you do any work up front or only to the felt? I learned real quick about steering rack sticking. A scary thing.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
There are shims in the rack that are used to adjust play. Get the manual out but this is a major safety issue. Not at all hard to fix. And shins can be made from hobby store copper sheet if needed but they are like .005 and .010 thick. Too tight and rack will freeze up on you. I had it happen.