• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Top of steering tube looking for alternative to felt

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Has anyone done something more lasting then the original felt? I'm thinking of a nylon or brass bushings. Any thoughts?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I got aggravated at the felt, and stuck a custom Delrin bushing in there. Unfortunately, I didn't record the measurements so I can't tell you much else. Seems to work well so far, though.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I reused the old felt when installing my R&P steering. Seemed OK at first but after only 3,000 miles, I have some steering column play that I would love to be tighter. Can anyone explain the install process for the replacement felt. I bought the replacement from TRF but didn't know how to make it fit (seemed like it was going to be exceedingly tight). I'd also be interested in exploring the Delrin bushing. Randall, want to explain how you would go about obtaining and fabricating that bushing? That would be very helpful.

I need to pull my steering column soon so it would be a good time to make this repair or upgrade.

Thanks

Pat

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'd also be interested in exploring the Delrin bushing. Randall, want to explain how you would go about obtaining and fabricating that bushing? That would be very helpful.
The Delrin originally came from MMC as a 3' length of 1.25" bar (previously bought for some other project). Not necessarily the best choice, just what I had handy.
https://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#standard-acetal-homopolymer-rods/=zmgcqf

I measured the id of the tube, and the od of the shaft where it passed through the original felt, plus the length of the tube above the constricted portion. Then I machined a piece of Delrin to those dimensions. Delrin machines really easy if your tools are sharp. Have to keep the surface speed down though, or it melts and gets sticky. A coolant system would no doubt help that, but I don't have one. I started the hole with a series of twist drills, then finished with a boring bar held in the tool post.

I wasn't sure how much clearance to leave so I started with none on the theory that the Delrin would compress slightly. That was too tight, so I went back to the lathe and took a couple of thousandths off the inside of the bushing. Since strict concentricity didn't seem critical here, and I only needed a very light cut; I just lightly clamped the bushing in the 3 jaw chuck (so it didn't distort much) and ran the boring bar through it again. (I also don't have a collet chuck, and setting up the 4 jaw to run concentric is too much like work.)

Sorry, I'm afraid that still isn't very helpful if you don't have a lathe available. I don't use mine enough to justify the cost (or the space it takes up), but it's a fun toy and occasionally useful.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What would you think of brass or bronze? Would need a good sticky lube which I have so it doesn't work it's way out becuse I wouldn't want to wear out the column.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
What would you think of brass or bronze? Would need a good sticky lube which I have so it doesn't work it's way out becuse I wouldn't want to wear out the column.

I'm not sure you would gain anything over Delrin. Many machine shops carry a bit of it and it is easily gotten on line. You can also get the stuff mixed with Teflon that requires no lubrication.
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=203&step=2

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
To me, sticky means it will attract dirt and dust. Around here, dust is very abrasive (broken sand particles from the desert), so what you wind up with (after some years of service) is almost lapping compound. The Delrin works fine with no lubrication, although using the PTFE filled stuff would lower friction.
Delrin is also a lot cheaper than brass.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for all the info Randall. I'm going to look into this and see if one of my friends with a lathe will help make it, or if I might coax my machine shop to help me out.

I appreciate the detail and the quick response!

Pat

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I just left it a snug fit in the tube (enough so that I had to tap it into place with a length of pipe), and a loose fit on the shaft. No glue or screws.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ok got my Delrin and made up a couple of bushings last night. Should press in nicely and a perfect fit on the shaft. I have a adjustable steering column and the depth of the bushing housing (where the felt would go) is about 1 1/8" was wondering if the top of the tube for a non adjustable column was at same depth as a adjustable one? Any one know?