• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Exhaust systems

79MGB16

I need help choosing an exhaust system for my 79 B. Do yall have any suggestions? I am only looking for a "cat back". How is the stock system? and compared to the monza system and what do you think about it? Also what are your opinons on the peco systems? I heard they fall apart-- is this true? I don't have an exhaust really. Someone welded a pipe all the way back and put what looks like a 1 1/2 foot long cherry bomb for a muffler. Its rather noisy and I definately think there is a problem with the quality of the system. Any suggestions ??
Thanks
Robert
I did a search on this topic on the forum, but found nothing, If i am just an idiot tell me and link me to the post.

adam90009

Jedi Warrior
my opinion go to a muffler shop tell them you have a 74mgb(or before) so you dont have to have a cat on it and get them to custom make you just what you want and make it sound great. it will be cheeper or aobut the same and you will have someone else doing it for you too.

G

I agree with Adam, a good local installer can build you a system that is as loud or as quiet as you want it to be. since you have a 79 and want to keep the cat, you don't have to tell them it's a 74

G

I have had the Monza system on my '72 for around 15 years and like the additional power and the tone. Although it has gotten a little louder over the years. When I first installed it, I noticed a definite improvement on I acceleration. It used the existing header pipe but I don't know if it leaves the cat for the later "B"s.
Bob

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
I agree with Bob, My Monza system is only about 5 yrs old but Has a great tone, some power improvement ant can be passed off as a period improvement.

Mike

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Same thoughts. Seriously look at the Monza system. Nice looking and sounding.

Still wish Abarth was around.

NC Mike

[ QUOTE ]
my opinion go to a muffler shop tell them you have a 74mgb(or before) so you dont have to have a cat on it . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't speak for North Alabama (Adam's stomping grounds), but in North Carolina there are laws that give the State grounds to refuse Title or Registration (translation: control over your ability to drive your favorite auto) if the original-equipment emission controls are removed.

Specifically related to exhaust systems, NC General Statute 20-128, Exhaust System and Emissions Control Devices, reads in part;
"c) No motor vehicle registered in this State that was manufactured after model year 1967 shall be operated in this State unless it is equipped with emissions control devices that were installed on the vehicle at the time the vehicle was manufactured and these devices are properly connected ."

79MGB16 is well advised to keep his cat if his local laws are similar.

Adam, you might want to think twice about asking your local shop to perform such a modification, especially if you like the folks that work there. In NC, the shop can lose its license to perform Vehicle Inspections and can face civil fines for eliminating the catalytic convertor or for passing a vehicle that was originally equipped, but no longer has one installed.

Food for thought.

Mike

ps. It's nice to know someone else thinks that the MGB mufflers look like cherry bombs. I was beginning to wonder if I was just getting old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Do they still make cherry bombs? I had two of those on my dodge and couldn't hardly hear the radio and had to shout to hold a conversation but they sure sounded off great when you backed down the engine, especially from high RPM. They also looked great on my corvair powered dune buggy.
Bob

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Where does one get a "cherry-bomb" for an MGB???

My muffler has a tear in it, complements of my In-laws jagged driveway apron and I like the sound, but the rattle (the torn metal rubbing together) sounds terrible...but a nice cherry bomb might be cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
Where does one get a "cherry-bomb" for an MGB???

My muffler has a tear in it, complements of my In-laws jagged driveway apron and I like the sound, but the rattle (the torn metal rubbing together) sounds terrible...but a nice cherry bomb might be cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I never put a cherry bomb on my MG but they were sold by the input tube size and output size plus the length of the muffler. The last time I bought a cherry bomb was back in the mid 70's for my dune buggy. I did buy a woody glass pack at a local store that way before I put the Monza system on it and it worked OK for awhile. I had trouble with it coming loose and leaking though.
I think a cherry bomb would hold up better than the woody under a MG because of scrapeing things. My Monza exhaust has been done that way dozens of times and is still holding up fine and it is bullet shaped like a cherry bomb.
Bob

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Word of caution (I assume ). Be careful doing web search for these. The results won't be what you expect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
Word of caution (I assume ). Be careful doing web search for these. The results won't be what you expect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and don't flush a lit one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

adam90009

Jedi Warrior
I've always wanted to flush one but I don't have any where to do it. I could do it at home but my mom is already tired of me and stuff I do for my car. Trying to bake ceramic in the oven, rebuilding my carb in my room, having more parts in my room than furnature. She says my room smells like the garage.

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and don't flush a lit one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sure, now ya tell me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

adam90009

Jedi Warrior
This reminds me of something I did the other day. cleaning out my car I found this little plastic gun that has a red roll and you put it in the gun and pull the trigger and it is a loud pop. anyways I got a whole roll of them, layed it rolled up in the drive way and hit it with a hammer!!! my ears were ringing all night and I couldnt hear anything at all for the next 10 mins!! do not try at home.