• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dynamat ?---or what interior insulation??

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Im going to install some new sound and heat insulation and not sure what to get, I know some of you have used Dynamat and I remember someone here with pictures of a neat looking Dynamat installation but I cant remember who. What is the best---Dynamat or other?. which package of Dynamat will give complete coverage?

roofman

Jedi Knight
I used a product called fatmax which is a dynamat clone. It installs easy and if I ever get my dash wiring situated I will let you know my driving impressions. It can be found on ebay, and is quite a bit cheaper than dynamat. I have seen dynamat and this is very similar.

roofman

Jedi Knight
Sorry it was fatMAT, not max

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I used the HomeDepot insulation under all the carpeting. Noticed a definite improvement in heat transferance as well as sound proofing. As it's heat resistant, I also used it as a hood (bonnet) liner.

Do a HomeDepot.com search for "Reflectix". It's $15 for a 25 foot by 16 inch roll.

Looks like aluminum foil on both sides of a kind of plastic bubble wrap. Has an R value of around 10 (I think).

Tom

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I purchase some 1/4 inch insulation with foil on the back and works great at least I think so, I bought it at an auto upholistry shop not too expensive

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I've used McMaster-Carr Polymeric Mastic Adhesive-Back Damping Sheets (code 9709T39) for noise only, they don't help for heat. It bis cheap and easy to work with, and it arrives (for me anyway) the next day.

warning - I am not responsible if you end up with a garage full of stuff from McMaster Carr. Lots of interest stuff there....

The Home Depot material references worked great under my Spit's transmission tunnel to stop baking the interior and helped with noise also.

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
all i have to say is that some cheap stuff has some unhealthy ingredients. i'm thinking mostly of the stuff from home depot that has tar in it. sounds like most of you are using other stuff though.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
tdskip:

Did you glue it to the underside, or under the carpet?

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Flinkly, the https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com that you listed above just about says it all. The Rammat that you are using is rated the best value, Dynamat(regular) got a low rating, Fatmat was slightly higher than Dynamat. Dynamat-Xtreme along with some others got a high rating but too expensive. So Rammat came out the winner based on price and quality. Rammat also gets great reviews on other forums. The bottom line was that the more rubber butyl the product has the better, the lower rated and cheaper products had more asphalt in them especially the home improvment type stuff.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I glued the reflective sheet from Home Depot <u>under</u> the transmission tunnel cover. The cover was a new poly cover from Vicktoria British so it was very easy to do.

It really makes a difference - cheap and easy upgrade.

077578023335_3.jpg

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I've used Dynamat and it works very well.

I also have used the 'bubble wrap' insulation on my last TR3 plus on the inside of my old Ford E350 cargo van. The bubble wrap is very inexpensive but it doesn't apply as nicely as Dynamat. It does, however, really reduce the amount of heat transfer to the footwells on a TR3.

I will use Dynamat on TS1203LO this spring. IT's really much easier to work with and the results are pretty professional looking.

On the floor carpeting I'll apply it to the carpet rather than stick it to the steel floor. That way I can remove the inevitable wet carpet and and allow the floors to dry completely.

FWIW...My friend, who does some high-dollar hot rod upholstery jobs, has also graduated from bubble-wrap insulation to Dynamat...for the same reasons.

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
dynamat is pretty much at the high end of damping products, but it is also the high end of cost. if you've got the money then it's the product to get, but for everyone else there are cheaper and other very nice products. i might use some raamat in my tunnel too, hadn't thought of it yet.