• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Cost for Chroming TR3 bumper

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Anyone have a clue as to the cost of re-plating a TR3 bumper. It is in fair shape with the usual dings and scrapes. Remember I live in the boonies of central TN so don't have any of that type of resource around here. Also has any one had any experience with any of the new bumpers from the major suppliers? Fit, quality, heft, etc.

Thanks, Tinkerman

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
In 1989, I had almost every chromed piece on my TR3A re-chromed. They charged me $1200.00. They had a lot of work to do straightening my bumper. About 8 years ago, after about 50,000 miles, my bumper had some deep scratches caused by a dump truck which had shreaded a tire and a section got flung at the front bumper where the wires sticking out the tire did the damage to my bumper. The same shop wanted $1000.00 to re-chrome the bumper.

This was a chrome shop run by some really nice Harley guys but new environmental disposal laws had forced them to increase prices. Ask bikers in your area who does nice re-chrome and a reasonable price.

As for the new retro bumpers for the TR3A, they are not the same as the originals. If you have an original, get it re-chromed. You say it's for a TR3 and they only have the repros for the TR3A. The original bumpers have the curved wrap-around where it curves to conform to the curve of the fender and it curves all the way around. The repros curve but not enough. They stick at each end out like wings. They look good to the ordinary person but if you are serious, you will see the difference.

Mine is the black one.

Attachments

• 5607-Bumperoriginal.jpg
    5607-Bumperoriginal.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 5608-Bumperrepro.jpg
    5608-Bumperrepro.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 111

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Advanced Plating in Nashville TN is one of the best chrome shops in the area. Give them a call. I may be stupid, but I can't see it costing that much. Please let me know, cuz I need to get my Spitfire bumpers rechromed. At that price though, I won't.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I paid $1,250 to have show quality triple plate done to my TR6 front and rear bumpers along with the license frame this spring. The price is now $1,500 due to the constant surge in Nickel, one of the most expensive alloys on the market at this time. Environmental issues do not help matters either.

I did get a quote last year and it was just over $1,000, but I waited three months and the price jumped.

If anyone is waiting for prices to come down, you will never get the job done. And don't settle for any shortcut offers. You get what you pay for and make sure you see what they are going to do. Shop tours are NOT uncommon.

https://www.74tr6.com/bumperrechroming.htm

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I got a quote from Northstar. $336.00 plus tax for my TR2 front bumper. Triple plated show chrome. They do not offer any other style of finish (contrary to what I said earlier...). 10 to 12 weeks for delivery right now.

This includes straightening and repair. They do real quality work.

It would be silly to buy a Taiwan bumper for $200.00 plus when you can get your OEM bumper done for this kind of $$$...IMHO.

Call 800-432-3720

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
YankeeTR said:
...It would be silly to buy a Taiwan bumper for $200.00 plus when you can get your OEM bumper done for this kind of $$$....
Uh, yeah. Not only are some of the repros thinner gauge and otherwise "not quite right" from the start, but odds are they'll need to be PROPERLY plated immediately or within a year or two. Maybe things are better than they were in the late 1980s, but I have a friend who went through two TR2 bumpers from a major vendor before finally getting a third one that didn't already have peeling plating (yes, all three were brand-new repros)!

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Andrew Mace said:
YankeeTR said:
...It would be silly to buy a Taiwan bumper for $200.00 plus when you can get your OEM bumper done for this kind of $$$....
Uh, yeah. Not only are some of the repros thinner gauge and otherwise "not quite right" from the start, but odds are they'll need to be PROPERLY plated immediately or within a year or two. Maybe things are better than they were in the late 1980s, but I have a friend who went through two TR2 bumpers from a major vendor before finally getting a third one that didn't already have peeling plating (yes, all three were brand-new repros)!
Andrew,

Most new bumpers are simply nickel plated then chromed. They almost never do copper-nickel-chrome...too expensive.

A nickel-chrome bumper will rust in the wrapper...

I've also read that, due to EPA regs on waste disposal here in the US, shops now do nickel-copper-nickel-chrome. The extra nickel plate helps the copper to stick...a neccessay step now that most shops don't use cyanide in their process anymore.

I can also assure you that parts coming from 3rd world countries are plated in plants that don't meet any environmental regulations...something any 'green-leaning' enthusiast should consider.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I bought a TR3A bumper from the gut who sells them on eBay (Jorge over in San Diego). Still looks fine after about 3 years - time will tell. I have not looked to see how the ends compare to the ones in Don's photo.

This guy's prices have gone up (like everything else) in the years since I got mine (might have been $190) but he claims to do his own metal work & plating. Given the location (just north of the Mexican border) he may have access to labor & plating processes that are not under EPA/OSHA/etc oversight.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Geo Hahn said:
I bought a TR3A bumper from the gut who sells them on eBay (Jorge over in San Diego). Still looks fine after about 3 years - time will tell. I have not looked to see how the ends compare to the ones in Don's photo.

This guy's prices have gone up (like everything else) in the years since I got mine (might have been $190) but he claims to do his own metal work & plating. Given the location (just north of the Mexican border) he may have access to labor & plating processes that are not under EPA/OSHA/etc oversight.
I've been looking at his early TR2 bumper guards...but I probably won't buy 'em unless I restore my car...and that's years away.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Thanks for the info folks! Yankee, I did call North Star and found out they are now Keystone, as I,m sure you found out. (Check your PM's I have a question for you.) Same price as they quoted you. Guess I'll suck it up and send it up there this week.

Thanks for the info about the new bumpers, I thought Don's pictures and comments were particularly of interest.

Regards, Tinkerman

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Keystone bought Northstar several years ago. My friend Tracy worked for them as a route sales guy for several years.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe it was all this talk about chrome but I stopped by my chrome place to get a price on the TR4. Here's what they said --

Front Bumper -- 200
Rear Bumper -- 250
Overriders -- 65 each
Taillights -- 90 each

They strip all, straighten dents, use copper on the taillights (they're pot metal), etc.

They are the most highly regarded in the area and there are a lot of hot rodders & bikers in Tucson who are particular about chrom. I also used them for some TR3 parts and thise look fine 6 years later.

Anyway, that looked like a good price (and he warned me that when Nickel goes up his prices go up) so I just finished soaking every bolt in PBlaster and will begin the undoing when things cool down.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Wow, those seem like pretty reasonable prices for quality work. Are they "standard" prices or specific to your parts (i.e., would they charge significantly more for overriders with dents needing to be worked out as opposed to a straight but pitted overrider)?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Those are excellent prices compared to costs in New England.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
He quoted after looking at my parts. Both bumpers have some minor straightening needed, one front overrider has that piece on the backside bent... said they would take care of all that. All parts are solid, no welding, etc.

Got up at 3:30 am to beat the heat and had everything unbolted and in their hands by 7:30.

The guy ahead of me looked like he had completely disassembled a truck and was having EVERYTHING chromed. No idea what his bill will be.