• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Cost of New TR3

mountainman

Jedi Trainee
What was the cost of a new TR3 bought in the USA? I am wondering if I will have 10x that cost in mine when the complete.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The first production model of the TR2 had a delivered New York price of $2345. (From an article in <span style="font-style: italic"> Collectible Automobile </span>, August, 1987)

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have at least 10x times that amount in my TR3, But worth it!
So much fun and you meet so many great people. Kids love the TR's to.
Dan

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I never really understood how restorations could end up being 20, 30 or 40K when I started this whole thing, but I sure do now...

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I have files on most of the stuff I have purchased over the years. Don't even look at them. Don't count my time either. Restoring my car keeps me off the streets and out of the bars. PLUS I have met some really fine folks both in person and through the BCF.
A friend of mine brought his cousin over to look at what I have accomplished on the car so far, his cousin put it real well. He told my friend that "Dick is a hobbiest, because of that he can take the time to rebuild a car from scratch", I submit, that is what we all are, hobbiests and that is why we do what we do and enjoy doing it.

For what its worth, Tinkerman

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I wound up dumping in about $16-$18k in my TR3 restoration, but could have done it for alot less if I decided to stay stock. The Toyota trans conversion, rack & pinion steering, engine work to add some ponies added about an extra $5k to the project.

Of course, except for the machine work on the engine, I did ALL of the work myself...including painting the car in the garage. If you don't do all of the work yourself, the costs will start to add up at a staggering rate.

There was alot of restoration work that I had never done before this project, but managed to learn by the school of hard knocks...most of it being the body work, which is the real killer of money if it get's farmed out.

So get that MIG welder, learn how to make patch panels and fit in replacements, get the hammer and dollies going, and maybe even try your hand at lead work. I found body work to be sometimes very frustrating, but when things finally turned out good, it's VERY rewarding.

Now that the car is done, it's sort of an anti-climax...what do I do now??

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
martx-5 said:
Now that the car is done, it's sort of an anti-climax...what do I do now??
I don't mean to jinx you, Art, but...
1) Drive the car.
And, if you do that...
2) Repair the car -- likely, sooner and more often than you would think reasonable, given all the recent work it's had...

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
martx-5 said:
...Now that the car is done, it's sort of an anti-climax...what do I do now??
Sell it to me at a huge loss and start all over again

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I took Moses' advice and went for a drive! :driving:

A wonderous carcophony of sounds that you just don't get in modern vehicles. I'm just wondering if all of them should be there. I detected a slight pinging, but noticed that it occured under partial throttle when the air fuel ratio went toward the lean side. I'll enrichen one flat and see if that quells it. I may have to go to different needles. If not, I'll back off the timing a couple of degrees. I set it statically at 4 degs, so don't think that's the problem. Yes, I'm running 93 octane. The pinging is the only sound I'm concerned about at the moment.

So, as Moses says...drive it and you'll have things to do! :laugh:

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
:lol:

Now THAT made me laugh!

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
One needs to keep in mind, that in 1954 the average income for all families was only $4,167 (2006 $26,649). So $2345 was a lot of money for a toy.

In 2006, the average income was $58,407.

The TR2 in 1954 would have represented 56.3% of the average household income.

The cost of a TR2 in 2006, adjusted for inflation, would not be the $14,997 one would expected, but much higher. If made in 2006, and the cost of production was based on the percentage of average income, it would put the 2006 cost at $32,883.

There, that should make you feel better.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TR6oldtimer said:
... If made in 2006, and the cost of production was based on the percentage of average income, it would put the 2006 cost at $32,883...

No wonder I didn't buy mine new. My allowance was 25 cents per week. Oh, and I was 9 years old.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Geo Hahn said:
TR6oldtimer said:
... If made in 2006, and the cost of production was based on the percentage of average income, it would put the 2006 cost at $32,883...

No wonder I didn't buy mine new. My allowance was 25 cents per week. Oh, and I was 9 years old.
Yes, in 1954 I could sleep on the floor in the front, on the passenger side of a '53 Merc. Oh, I did not get an allowance. Every time I asked, my Dad asked it I was willing to pay for my food and lodging. The first regular money I got was from mowing neighbor's lawns with a push mower.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I was 20 years old when I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new. I paid $2350.00 plus $150.00 for overdrive, $15.00 for the windscreen washers and $35.00 to have it undercoated. I paid cash for it from my savings. When I finished high school, I worked in the shop and then in Tool Design at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Engines.

In 1990 I finished a 3-year restoration that cost me $13,000.00 in new parts, $5000.00 for the painting - all parts separately done - and I put in 1150 hours plus my neighbour gave me another 350 hours free. It has been appraised and insured for $30,000.00 every year since then.

During that time, I have driven 100,000 miles and I'm still 20 years old again, every time I drive it.

Attachments

• 17290.jpg
    17290.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 242

mikecyc72usa

Jedi Trainee
My father bought a TR3a new in 1959 in Beacon, NY. I think it was a Chevy/Triumph dealer on route 9D. He said after tax, etc, he paid $2885. That was steel wheels, no o/d, heater, wipers, and Michelin X radials. He drove it and raced it from 1959 to 1965, clocking 88,000 miles on it. as for average income, he made roughly $90 a week in 1958, $110 in 1959 working at the Texaco research lab in Beacon. He was 20 at the time and has said he made more money than most adults he knew at the time.

Fast forward to last week and he just bought a 1980 TR7 convertible in almost perfect shape save for a slight paint imperfection on the passenger door. now he bugs me about getting my 78 Spitfire on the road. Upstaged by a 70 year old again...lol!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF, Mike! I must say your dad has great taste, acquiring the Wedge- he's gonna love it! :thumbsup:

Now, get that Spit on the road! :wink:

:cheers:
Mickey

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Art dont forget to read your plugs,a hotter engine can benefit from a cooler plug,this used to be the old L92y champion,but there are now so manny great plugs on the market....NKG,Bosh.....long list.just a thought since gas is not cheap.
MD(mad dog)

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Good thought MD. I have standard heat range plugs in there now, and with the changes I made in the engine, it should benefit from a colder plug.

Thanks

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Since we are talking prices here......

I bought a 9 year old MGA in 1967 for $199. It ran pretty well, but I rebuilt the engine later on.

Around '69 I bought a reasonable 11 year old TR3 for about $175 at Reedmans in PA.
They had a decent, running XKE there too, but it was $900 so too dear for me!
The following year I bought a 4-speed trans with overdrive for the TR3 at Stucker's in Staten Island (for $100).

Around '67 or so a local car dealer imported about 4 or 5 MG T series cars.....I guess trying to make a buck on them. I remember he wanted $750 for each of them. They were all in similar, decent shape and at least one was a TB. They sat there a long time.

I'll tell you what I'd do with a nice, restored Brit roadster: race it! :devilgrin: