• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car Cover

zauimaui

Freshman Member
I looked for info on car covers but couldn't find anything. TRF has a sale this weekend on car covers and I'm thinking I should get one. I'm going to get an indoor/outdoor. Any advice on where to get it? Quality of TRF covers?

Thanks!

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
TRF sells the Covercraft brand, which is a leading maker of car covers. I bought the indoor/outdoor Technalon cover (most expensive) during last year's sale and I have been very happy with it.

The car is garaged mostly, but the times it has spent outside, I have been happy with the results. The cover does well in the commercial washers and dries very quickly in the sun.

You can find the same cover for a little bit cheaper and in different colors (my cover is tan) direct from the mfgr (try google), but it is nice to support our vendors so I did not mind. I may do it differently for the next round, though.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
I have mixed feelings about using a car cover indoors. I have a dust cover, but did not use it this winter (car spent the winter in covered storage) as I noticed that quite a bit of condensation was building up underneath the cover, even though it is supposed to be "breathable". I think this may have been due to fluctuating tempratures overnight in the fall. Anyway seems to me if you are storing indoors, probably no cover is best rather than something thats going to trap moisture. Anyone got a different oppinion they could share?

Rob.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've tried a couple different covers over the years, but they all seemed to hold condensation underneath. Not good.

Think I'll stay with my garage - or the open air in those rare instances when the garage isn't handy.

Tom

jackag91

Jedi Warrior
when the car is running I keep it outside under a cover I picked up at pepboys. It was $75 and seems to work pretty well.

The one I got is breathable and I haven't noticed any condensation under it.

It isn't a custom fit but it fits well enough.

PeterK

Yoda
I like the Technalon covers. Got one on my Audi that is almost always inside covered and never had condensation problems. Nice thing about the Technalon material is that it is thick enough to deflect injuries from unavoidable bumps from walking around the car.

On the 3A, we've got a cheapie thin cover (that came with the car) and all the dust goes right through it. Worthless IMHO. We'll be getting another Technalon for it soon. The only downside as I see it is that the Technalon is bulky and not easily fit in the trunk.

I think that covercraft has specials on 2nds now and then but you have to call them directly to get the deals.

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
I'll second the absence of condensation with the Technalon Evolution cover indoors. I have no experience with a garage that sweats since mine stays dry, but it can get dusty, which is why I use a cover. ; ) I have not noticed any dust build-up under the cover.

I also like having a cover on the car in the garage as an extra layer of protection when I am running around.