• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car Cover advice

wifegonnakillme

Jedi Hopeful
I have a recently restored TR3 (restored to a driver, not concours) that doesn't have a garage...while i do winter storage, i need to have it covered during the spring and summer rains (at least until i can convince my neighbor to let me build a garage). The cover i purchased is a Simmons and although it is tauted as a weather "blocker" water still easily passes through. The first cover wan't cheap and before i go and invest in another, do any of you folks have advice on a good (or the best) cover for rain? Thanks in advance,
Kerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

R6MGS

Yoda
The is no such thing a 'weather blocker' car cover. Any car cover that you use MUST be breathable, in order for a cover to be breathable it has be made of a material that will let air(and water) through it. If a cover isn't breatable moisture will be trapped underneath and cause further damage to your car. The best thing to do is find a light very breathable outdoor cover that will block the sun from ruining your paint and interior. Then whenever it rains really hard, once it stops take off the cover and let the car dry out.

R6MGS

Yoda
I've been tempted to getting one of those shelters, but local bylaws won;t allow it in my driveway....so it would have to go to my parents(were 1/2 my cars are stored) and I'd feel kinda bad leaving a giant silver tent in their driveway.
Right now I've got the MGB LE(blocked up and winter stored using my 'outdoor storage techniques") TR6, and Caddy outside.....I have the TR6 at my home driveway under a quality outdoor cover, just tonight I uncovered it, got inside and could barely see through the windsheild...all the pollen in the air went through the cover and when it rained coated the enite car with a nasty film. I guess my son's got a job this weekend :p

A

aerog

Get a Weathershield cover by Covercraft. California Car Covers sells theirs calls "storm weave" (I think) - it's the exact same cover, but with their name on the front and a higher price.

Weathershield covers shed water so well they don't even stay wet after a heavy rain, water beads and rolls off it like freshly waxed paint. The covers still breath and some water will leak in where the pieces of the cover are stitched together (it seeps through the stitching), but that's it.

The covers are the thickness of a single layer nylon jacket, roll up into a tiny bundle, and work great. The only problem I have is mine tend to lose their ability to bead water after about 18 months because they're subjected to a lot of dust and sun, but they still keep the water out.

They also make a cockpit cover made of the same material that will keep water out - PERIOD - but they still roll up small enough to fit in a ziplock bag.