• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car Cover reviews

King_of_England

Freshman Member
Could not find any threads on this topic.
I'm in the market for an outdoor car cover for my spitfire.
Anyone have a recommendation? Hope to keep it around $100.
Must hold up in the S Florida sun.
Thanks bunches
Gary Maue

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I've got 3 for my TR6's and this one is THE BEST. If you do a search for "Wolf Car Covers" you'll be able to check the prices.
carcover.jpg

G

There are alot of good ones for $100.

Just a word of warning: DO NOT TOW YOUR CAR WITH A COVER ON IT. Regardless of the type or price of a cover, even a custom-made one, the flapping and/or vibration will ruin your paint.

I bought my car in Baltimore, had put 3 covers and 42,000 shock cords on it, and was leaving the next morning to tow her to Dallas. I got a panicked call that night from the RRTC president, warning me NOT to tow her with a cover, that the damage to the paint would be worse than any water damage that I might get. Water will dry, abrasion will not. He was ready to cite me a bunch of horror stories. So, I took the covers off, and the tow home was a piece of cake.

I must admit that, even with all the shock cords, I wouldn't have been 20 minutes on the interstate and I would have had canvas flapping and vibrating all over the place.

BTW, I was told that if you want to tow a car with a cover on it, first cover the entire car with soft bed sheets, then completely stretch-wrap the entire car.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I wanted to pass this along to you. If a whole bunch of folks disagree, so be it.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If I heard it again, I'd recognize it. Let me do a search.
BTW I had a similar experience as George. It was heartbreaking what it did to a great paint job.

tomshobby

Yoda
Saw one in a recent magazine, think it was from Moss. The cover only protected the top and windows. It was home made and had to be well under $100. It was made to be held in place by the rear of the bonnet and the front of the boot lid. On the sides it had Velcro straps that fastened to the door handles.

Many years ago I had a full cover. It was great when the car was very clean but the least amount of dirt and it left scratches just from the breeze moving it around. Only used it a couple times.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
TR3BGeorge said:
There are alot of good ones for $100.

Just a word of warning: DO NOT TOW YOUR CAR WITH A COVER ON IT. Regardless of the type or price of a cover, even a custom-made one, the flapping and/or vibration will ruin your paint.

I bought my car in Baltimore, had put 3 covers and 42,000 shock cords on it, and was leaving the next morning to tow her to Dallas. I got a panicked call that night from the RRTC president, warning me NOT to tow her with a cover, that the damage to the paint would be worse than any water damage that I might get. Water will dry, abrasion will not. He was ready to cite me a bunch of horror stories. So, I took the covers off, and the tow home was a piece of cake.

I must admit that, even with all the shock cords, I wouldn't have been 20 minutes on the interstate and I would have had canvas flapping and vibrating all over the place.

BTW, I was told that if you want to tow a car with a cover on it, first cover the entire car with soft bed sheets, then completely stretch-wrap the entire car.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I wanted to pass this along to you. If a whole bunch of folks disagree, so be it.

Hm... ...maybe its just a Dallas thing. We bought a $50 cover for our jetta. It was windy, so any time the cover moved it would rub. The pain on the rocker panel start to get rubbing marks before we gave up.

Those $50 ones are crap. They always tear. Ive resewed them up so many times! One of my cars came with one, and it also was torn. They come with little air pockets for the car to "breath" But this just means that humidity gets in, and gets trapped! I used one of a car with a leaky top, when I removed it, all the windows were fogged up with condensation.

Oh, and if its REALLY windy. I mean <span style="font-weight: bold">REALLY</span> it will find some magically way of blowing off and traveling a block away. We lost the lock long ago, but we still tied the thing down. I'll go back to that jetta. That was the newest car weve ever owned. One day the cover was completely off, but the cord was still wrapped around it, now rubbing the roof.

Its a size small, so it fit the jetta, and my 80s BMW fine. But is too big for my mustang or husbands neon. It barely fit my brothers RSX. I used it on the GT6, and it was WAY too big for the car! I had to lay spare rims on the cover to keep the front from blowing off.

So just so you know, those universal ones are crap! And if youre going to spend $100, it better no tear or do any of the things I mentioned.

jjw

I have to keep at least one of my cars outside during the summer months (so I can get easy access to all), so I needed to buy a good cover for one. I learned the following from shopping and asking around.

- the cheap ones are just that... cheap. They will not hold up and will probably do more harm than good. Stay away.
- no cover will be water proof... and that's not what you want anyway... Covers that try to be water proof will only trap moisture and promote rust and mold. You want a water resistant material that "breathes".
- get a fitted cover. The one-size-fits-many will flap around in the breeze and ruin your paint.
- having a cover on your car will never be as good as keeping it in a garage.

I got a fitted cover made from the "NOAH" brand material (google it). Quite happy. Plan on spending 2x that 100 bucks.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Geez, if your gonna spend $200 on a cover, why not buy this instead?
https://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=10x20+%...t&_osacat=0

You can get them with walls. That way if it hails, youre cars still protected. Reminds me of when a tornado came through my town. Sky was all green, and I had just parked my car when the sirens went off. I dropped everything and ran inside. After the storm I went outside to check the damage. I noticed that during all that my neigh had draped a tarp over his car. 1st Im thinking, really? you risked your life for that? 2nd Im thinking, and you honestly think that will protect your car from hail, tree limbs, and projectiles?!?

Last hail storm threat (real reason I even bothered with a cover) was to keep the comforters on the car. If its golfball-baseball sized, your windows will all be gone, forget body work. But parking it under a canopy will protect it. Its faster and safer. Obviously, it would have to get secured properly, like pipes cemented deep in the ground or something. As Im sure some of you have seen how well they do at car shows. Hopefully, none of you were parked near them.

As far as wanting a cover to breath, I just expect not having to deal with soaked floors and seats... ...other wise, why cover it at all.

Oh, and to me, $50 is a lot of money, not cheap. I can only imagine all the parts for my GT6 that I could buy with that $50

jjw

UmmYeahOk said:

Those type of shelters typically have a low SAF*... particularly if put in the driveway...

* (S)pousal (A)cceptance (F)actor :smile:

alfa33047

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I live in Arizona, lots of dust, I have several cars, I have to have car covers for my cars or the paint would go to crap. I buy original car covers for Porsche Boxters, off of Craigslist USED. I just have to inspect them for tears, they are silver and the realy good ones have a lining inside. Usually for sale from $35. to $75. Remember they are used and I can get 2 to 3 years off each cover, but they are very durable and water proof. They say PORSCHE on the front and if that is not on there then it is not original. I also buy Porsche 944 sunroof bags for the storage of the side curtains for my TR-3s. Usually $25. to $35. Used. Good Luck, Bill C. Mesa, Az.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:

Oh, and to me, $50 is a lot of money, not cheap. I can only imagine all the parts for my GT6 that I could buy with that $50

Not that many, I bet.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
I bought a car cover from Wolf for my Spitfire a couple years ago and am very happy with the fit and durability of the cover. I think I bought the block it 380.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
jjw said:
UmmYeahOk said:

Those type of shelters typically have a low SAF*... particularly if put in the driveway...

* (S)pousal (A)cceptance (F)actor :smile:

Well, I was assuming you would have it in a side yard, fenced off from public eyes. Basically a temporary barn, not some ghetto car port that your neighbors would be complaining to the town about.