• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reasonably priced car cover?

Country flag
Unless I am mistaken my 1980 MGB's antenna is fixed and only goes down partially. So if I were to try and get a cover to fit it, I'm not sure what to do.
I think I have seen covers for other cars with an opening for antennas before, but those are probably custom fit types that are pricey.

What are you guys using to help keep your cars in tip top shape when they are outside?

OP

Country flag
I was just told tonight that my antenna is not stock so I guess a replacement is in order. Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like, and where would I find one? For that matter, maybe I should get an aftermarket one that retracts if they make them for our cars.
Any suggestions?

I'd also still like a car cover suggestion if someone has gotten one that fits our small cars.

TIA

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I know that radios were a dealer installed option for Midgets and I suspect it was also true for Bs. So, there really is no such thing as stock. You can buy them to go all the way down.

A

aerog

I've found you get what you put into the covers. I had an "evolution" cover for my Saturn years ago. It was cushy enough that it offered some protection from things bumping into the car, falling tree limbs, etc; unfortunately it turned into a waterlogged mess after any amount of precipitation. It was also <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> bulky.

When I got my Miata I started using Weathershield covers. The lightweight version (Weathershield HP) looks like a nylon cover but water tends to roll off it and doesn't penetrate the fabric. It will leak slightly in the seams but not much. Weathershield HP is very lightweight, smooth, doesn't scratch paint, and can be rolled up to fit in a small plastic grocery bag for travel. The only downside is it can be difficult to control in high winds.

The weathershield HD is a heavier-duty cover that offers excellent rain and UV protection. The fabric is <span style="font-style: italic">much</span> heavier than the HP version and is a lot easier to use in winds - plus it doesn't tend to billow out as much as the HP in storms. Like the HP version, rain just rolls off the fabric.

I have a medium-weight indoor cover for my MGB when it's in the garage, and a Weathershield HP for when it's outside.

The medium and higher priced fabrics come custom fitted to your car from Covercraft. I've been very happy with the fitting on both the MGB and Miata. <span style="font-style: italic">All</span> the covers come without holes for antennas but they come with plastic grommet reinforcement kits for you to put the antenna hole in yourself.

My Miata has always had Weathershield HP or HD. The car is 9 years old, has always been parked outside in direct sunlight. I ripped my first HP cover pretty badly and replaced it with an HD, that one finally got eaten up by the sun and was replaced by another HP last year. The paint isn't perfect but it's a darn sight better than most cars parked outside in Florida for nearly 10 years :smile:

<span style="font-style: italic">Taken at work, the only time the car gets parked inside</span>

The bottom-end decent fabric covers should run $80-$100, aren't custom fitted, and aren't the best except for occasional use - but they're better than the $50 autoparts dust covers. A custom Evolution-fabric cover should run in the $155 range. The Weathershield HP around $245, and the HD another $50 more.

I and several friends have had good luck dealing with Car Cover World. They have a good description of the fabrics available here, prices and options for custom covers are here.

Awhile back I took some pictures of my weathershield cover in a thunderstorm. This water repellent nature will tend to diminish as the cover gets worn out, but this should give you an idea of how well it works. Except where there is some minor leakage around seams, the paint under the cover will be dry. Moisture generated by condensation evaporates through the fabric and seams quickly:
Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

In general you get what you pay for (an HP cover lasts me about 4 years, so $60 a year for decent protection is reasonable to me - your mileage may vary).

Lynn Kirkpatrick

Jedi Hopeful
aerog
I got lost in your explanation, which cover are you showing on the Miata in the storm? How old is it in the picture? How long do they last? Do you know if they are compatible being outside the frozen north? (Sorry for all of the questions)
Thx

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Try California Car Cover,

They have quite a selection of covers

too choose from.

A

aerog

Lynn Kirkpatrick said:
aerog
I got lost in your explanation, which cover are you showing on the Miata in the storm? How old is it in the picture? How long do they last? Do you know if they are compatible being outside the frozen north? (Sorry for all of the questions)
Thx

Weathershield. The HP and HD work the same way, the HD is just heavier material that holds up to sunlight and wind better.

Check with the Covercraft website about using them in the snow/ice. Rain flows off them like balls of mercury, but frozen precip might just freeze right onto it.

The warranty is at least 4 years on both of them. Used daily in the Florida sun that's just about what I'd expect out of them.

The cover shown in the picture was fairly new, around 6 months or less.

A

aerog

CZ_Dave said:
Try California Car Cover,

They have quite a selection of covers

too choose from.

They do but be a cautious buyer: the two covers I bought from Cal Car Cover were nothing more than rebadged CoverCraft covers.

The first cover I got from them was their "softweave" cover, the second was what they now call "superweave" (I could have sworn it used to be called "stormweave" but those fabrics are obviously different than what I got - their current "stormweave" appears to be CoverCraft's "evolution" material).

Anyway, I compared their top-end cover to the "weathershield" cover from CoverCraft and they were absolutely identical, right down to the tags on the cover. The only difference was Cal Car Cover put their logo on the front of the cover. Adding the logo completely ruined the weatherproofing characteristics of the fabric where the logo is. The logo thing annoyed me enough that I won't buy one from them again.

Their service was good and their current prices are exactly the same as the typical CoverCraft vendor prices though.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
As far as an antenna interfering with a cover, I put this electric one on the wifes B. PJ