• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car cover recommendations

fad64b

I am looking to buy a fitted car cover for my TR3 that I can use outdoors as well as indoors. Any experience and recommendations would be appreciated.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I have a Wolf brand. Had it for 2 years. It has several layers and it's supposed to let moisture out but not in with a softlayer next to the car. I don't remember where I bought it. You might try a google search. Highly recommend it.

elysium

Have been using the "Mosom Plus " for the last 6 months. Kind of middle of the road $$$$ at Moss and supposed to be okay for a month or so outside and fine for indoors. Nice fit and good outdoor performance. Not positive they make one for the TR3 but have been well satisfied for my TR6
Elysium

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
I have had really good luck with CoverCraft.

https://www.covercraft.com/

The TR has a universal Technalon (custom available) and my truck has a custom 380. Take a look at the comparison page and see which fabric suits your needs and budget best.

I cannot remember which vendor I went with on their "buy online" page, but I can look that up if you need it.

NFI, but a very satisfied customer.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just a thought - a while back I asked some questions about getting a cover for my own TR3. Altho' there were several recommendations, a few guys said to stay away from covers. Seems they had experienced scratching of the surface as the cover is pulled over invisible dust and grit on the car.

Tom

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When all the muscle cars arrived at America on Wheels for the first temporary exhibit, they were under covers and kept that way until the museum was ready to open. These were the owner's covers that they arrived in. When the docents were being shown the cars two week before the museum opening, the covers were removed one at a time and after the discussion, each car was recovered before the next was unveiled. All but one of these is a pristine restoration.

I use a cover on Fagin when he is sitting for a long period so that the general dust and dirt around here is kept off the finish. I make sure I dust the entire car before putting on the cover. I did not get an expensive cover, but then Fagin does not have a "show" paint job either.

Just another point of view...

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
My TR gets dusted and touched up with quick detailer before going under the cover every time and I have not noticed any scratches. The cover gets washed every couple of months.

I have a small garage and like to have the TR covered as I am walking around with bikes, tools, etc., and like the security of the cover from the errant zipper, wrench, etc.

dklawson

Yoda
I use CoverCraft covers but I buy them through their distributors. If you choose a fitted cover the dealer link on their web site will take you to the dealers where you can look up each one's prices. It's amazing... they're all selling the same product but the price can vary as much as 30%.

Of the cover materials, I just replaced a 5 year old Weathershield cover. At 3-1/2 years it became delicate after long exposure to sun and the elements. By the end of 5 years it had a multitude of patches... but it remained largely waterproof.

I replaced the Weathershield cover with their new Ultra-Tec material. It's heavier than the original Weathershield and rated for extended sun exposure. Both the Ultra-Tec and the Weathershield are supposed to be machine washable (at home). However, this is much more plausible with the Weathershield. The Ultra-Tec looks like it might be a bit to bulky to fit my washer.

So... if you're going to expose the cover to long periods of sun, consider Ultra-Tec. If the exposure to sun is less frequent or for short periods, consider the Weathershield. Both are very waterproof but the Weathershield appears to be a little better in that regard.

The Technalon covers are OK too. I used them for a while but they only seem to last a couple of years in sun and rain. There is no way they can fit in a home washing machine.