• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking for a Car Cover

Tom R3

Freshman Member
I'm looking to buy a cover for my BT7 to protect it from dust, dings and such.It's never stored outside, always kept in my garage.The internet shows a number of companies that make and sell several different types of covers. I'd like to keep it under $100. There are two being auctioned on EBay from CoverZone. Has anyone dealt with them? Which type should be avoided? ie flannel plastic canvas. Any info and/or personal experience is much appreciated. Thanks.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Tom,

I have a flannel indoor cover from Moss and it is great. Thick, soft and helps prevent little dings that can happen in the tight confines of a garage. I also have a tyvek cover that is very light weight, inexpensive and packs away easily for trips. That's the only time my Healey stays parked outdoors.

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Tom, I do not know anything about "Cover Zone". However, to keep the price under $100,I would suggest you check into a Cover Craft cover at the local discount stores they have a pretty good one at about $65.00. It is good for indoor and out door storage---Fwiw---Keoke

ynotme2

I bought mine at costco. They had one I think about 40.00. It is not very thick but should keep the dust off mine. The side of the box even listed the Healey as a medium

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
J.C Whitney sells the Cover Craft line and they are custom fitted. I even got one for my A30 through Whitney....

BlackHealey

For approx. $125.00 I bought the tan flannel cover from Griot's Garage and it is great. It is made to the right specs and is padded enough to prevent dings. It is also easily washable so when pollen season is over, I just throw it in the wash and it is back to new order! I too keep my Healey in the garage, so buying a waterproof cover did not matter.

Does anybody know of a cover that is trailer safe? I only have an open car hauler, and wanted to see if there is a cover suited for use on a moving trailer.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to keep it under $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, I just saw that Moss is having a special. If you purchase over $300 worth of stuff you can get a Duravent cover free. Buy more than $450 and get a flannel cover free. This is how I ended up getting the flannel cover about 4 or 5 years ago. www.mossmotors.com has the info.

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wall Bob, here is what I would do to protect the car on an open trailer. I would purchase a "TY-Bond waterproff cover from Pep Boys. Install your flannel cover first. Place the TY-Bond over it and cinch it all down with 8 heavy rubber bands. One over each spinner and one over each over rider. A Bungee could be fitted under the car using the side grommets if you felt it necessary. Cost $ 39.00 with $10.00 Mail in rebate.Of course now Im a bit cheap.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BlackHealey

Keoke,
That is actually a very good idea. I am impressed. You never cease to amaze me. It is as if you are sitting there with a thesaurus of good ideas for every purpose!
Thanks for the tip.

Louie

Country flag
On a moving trailer, leave the cover off.
You don't want the wind flapping the cover against the car.
much info in the archives on this...

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When travelling I carry a TYVEK cover in a compression stuff bag which squeezes down to about the size of a football and stows neatly inside a fender bulge. I could be wrong but I believe that TYVEK's magic property of not letting moisture in while letting vapor out makes it important to put the cover on right-side out (sort of like that joke about the thermos bottle "It keeps hot things hot and cold things cold but how does it know?").

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Keoke,
That is actually a very good idea. I am impressed. You never cease to amaze me. It is as if you are sitting there with a thesaurus of good ideas for every purpose!
Thanks for the tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH! I forgot to tell you that strong rubber bands can be cut from an old innertube and they won't perrish in the sun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif---Keoke

OP
T

Tom R3

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the responses, I looked at the Cover Craft covers at PEP Boys and the top of the line is $99. The small size fits a BMW Z3, I believe that is about the size of the 3000. I'll probably go with it.
Tom

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK Tom,look on the box and see if the size you picked is a "B" this is a little bit large for the Healey but it allows the wheels to be covered too.If they have the $65 one its just as good.---Keoke

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tom, one of the Healey Listers has a couple of used car covers for sale at around $20 or so. I purchased a very nice cover from him. His name is Hal Carter and email is carterh@cox.net. You might check and see what he has left. He sold his BJ8 and is clearing out his leftover parts.