• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car cover - shower cap

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Any suggestions on where to order a "shower cap" car cover that only covers the cockpit?

Did a search but the filter did not do a good job

R6MGS

Yoda
Depending on what car it's for MOSS sells a Cockpit cover like you described....Check for a thread started by Nunyas in the MG forum.

A

aerog

FYI - the normal cockpit covers Moss and others sells isn't waterproof, and hardly water-resistant. It's better than nothing, but once they get waterlogged they'll leak and at the very least leaves you with a soggy cover to deal with.

A "Weathershield" cockpit cover made by CoverCraft is completely waterproof - to the point that the water just slides off the material, even after a heavy storm (it's neat to watch, the water looks like mercury beading away). They're also light as can be and can be rolls up to fit in a zip-lock bag.

CoverCraft doesn't have a cockpit cover listed for the Elan but you might be able to find something else that fits. (FWIW I was buying from Cal Car Covers until I found out all they were doing was ordering from CoverCraft then printing their name on it - everything down to the stenciled model-number on the cover was identical to CoverCraft, just a little more expensive).

R6MGS

Yoda
My wifes MGA is outside so to keep it dry I cover it with an outdoor cover, then when rain is in the forecast we have a plastic tarp that is cut to the exact length of the car....A few bungie cords to pull it tight and the rain runs right off....Then once the sun comes back out the tarp comes off and the car is completely dry.

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, I do already have a waterproof cover for the car (from when I lived in Boston) but I live in LA now, it does not rain much and the car is garaged when not in use, so waterproof is not a priority for this.
Mainly looking for something reasonably priced to keep the sun off the interior so the seats don't become 900 degrees when I park it. I plan on changing the rollbar that is in the car, so a proper tonneu will have to wait

I had checked covercraft previously but did not find what I was looking for, I will check again.
Thanks for the tip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

A cockpit cover with rollbar included in the design is gonna be a custom item I would guess... Ask around and find a nice person who knows how to sew, and they can probably make you one for not much more than the materials cost.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
FYI - the normal cockpit covers Moss and others sells isn't waterproof

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about one of those, would scotchguard spray be any good on it? Just to keep a shower out, not a heavy rain or anything...

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
A cockpit cover with rollbar included in the design is gonna be a custom item I would guess... Ask around and find a nice person who knows how to sew, and they can probably make you one for not much more than the materials cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the rollbar on my car was put on it in the late 60's and does not sit any higher than head rests on a Miata or similar (plan to get a proper RB made for it), so I figure a standard one would work

__hr_rear.jpg

Oh, that is short. But I'd still consider having one made. Then some tent-weatherseal-spray should keep out the light rains. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif remeber the photo now from the Lotus forum... great looking car - again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, Well rain is not so much an issue here in LA, mainly I just want to keep the sun off the interior so I don't fry when I get back in the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A

aerog

See if you can find someone with a Miata cockpit cover. I'd bet it would fit because they're made for the tall Miata seats, but it's hard to tell.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gesh, any boat canvis place can make one easly.