• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bumper Chrome Job - Situation Going Bad

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I'm seeking some assistance with a popular vendor and turning to this forum for suggestions.

Earlier this year I sent a set of original bumpers and overiders to Britanniclassics, Woodbury, CT for replating with a estimated turn-around time quoted at 8 to 10 weeks. On my regular phone calls, the proprietor was very professional but always requested more time to finish the job. Now, five months later, I have yet to receive the parts and in the past three weeks this proprietor has become non-responsive to my e-mail and phone call inquiries. I'm now extremely concerned.

If someone could please share any recent contact with Britanniclassics (aka britboy on e-bay), it would be greatly appreciated by me and my bumperless Healey 3000! I certainly would like to resolve this amicably as Britanniclassics generally provides some great parts and services for our LBCs

I hope this post is appropriate - Perhaps this could continue via PM.

Thanks all for your help

GONZO

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
gonzo said:
I hope this post is appropriate
Hi Gonzo,
Sorry about your problem, but no, it isn't really appropriate. On the left side of the page under "Help and information", you'll see "Forum Rules". Here is #6.

6. No vendor bashing! If you have a problem with a vendor (whether supporting or otherwise), take it up with the vendor. Don't use this forum for registering complaints about any vendor or business.

R

RonMacPherson

Greg,

I dunno if this is really vendor "Bashing"...

Gonzo is asking if anyone else has had any concerns or difficulties with one plater.

Even suggested taking correspondence the PM(off forum) way.

So, to me, it raises awareness of a problem with a vendor that if I were going to be getting some plating done, I would like to be aware of...

So, I would have to rule in Gonzo's favor here.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Your right Greg. No vendor bashing.
I don't think that is what Gonzo is doing.

The only assistance I can offer you Gonzo is to acknowledge how busy Brad, aka Britboy, Britanniclassics is. And stress to him how important getting your product back is. My dealing with Brad is that he seems to be overloaded all the time. It may be the person Brad is subing the work out too? If time is of the essence in getting any part, or service provided I would look to other vendors. Not bashing here. Just a heads up. Some vendors have the good stuff, some have everything in stock, some send your order out the same day. Some vendors have a good reputation that you can count on, just as some don't.

Good luck with your bumpers.
Happy motoring!
Roger

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
RonMacPherson said:
Greg,

I dunno if this is really vendor "Bashing"...

I think Gonzo worded things in a cordial fashion, but it shows a vendor in a negative light. Things could go South quickly.

RonMacPherson said:
Gonzo is asking if anyone else has had any concerns or difficulties with one plater.

Even suggested taking correspondence the PM(off forum) way.
I agree, PMs would be the way to go.

RonMacPherson said:
So, to me, it raises awareness of a problem with a vendor that if I were going to be getting some plating done, I would like to be aware of...
In there lies the problem, Basil has been threatened with a lawsuit in the past for posts written by a member.

RonMacPherson said:
So, I would have to rule in Gonzo's favor here.
I don't think that is up to you, nor I. :wink:

canam1212

I had sent a set of guages into briboy to be rebuilt. They did take over six months to be done , but in britboys defense they do look perfect.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Suggestions for use with any vendors:

It's best to work directly with them. Try negotiating a lower price for your inconvenience, or free shipping, or something to make it worth your while to continue to use the vendor.

I'm sure he doesn't want to lose the business. You might suggest you'll be stopping by while you're in the area, or have one of us go by for you, to expedite the process.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree, it's not vendor bashing. If it's ok to speak well of an experience with a vendor then why shouldn't it be ok to report a less than satisfactory experience. Vendors are vital to the restoration and maintenance of our Healeys, and as such an appropriate topic for discussion.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
In defense of the no vendor bashing rule, the problem for Basil is that there is rarely more than one side of the issue presented. That's fine if there is no question of the absolute truth of the side presented. The legal problem is publishing incorrect information. We can be careful in presenting factual information, but there's always another side of the story.

I recently had a big problem with a well known vendor, and would have loved to share with all, but ran it by Basil first, and obeyed the no bashing rule.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I would agree with submitting a post of a particular problem a person is having with a vendor, but not to mention the vendors name or location.

I think a person should run it by a moderator first for guidance before posting.

Country flag
Hey, Gonzo. Get them parts back! If you remember a conversation we had, the chrommer I used in Carson City, NV had my stuff back in 5 days (I dropped it off and picked it up) and it was very reasonable and perfect. Your guy is probably sending the stuff out of country where chromming is cheap due to no EPA. I wouldn't use any chrommer where you cannot see the tanks and see the kind of work he does.
Asking for it back may push him to hurry.
If you PM me I will be happy to take the stuff in for you when you get it back.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I think there is a broad definition of what “bashing” is or isn’t. The two opinions that matter IMHO are Basil’s and a vendor in question. If the vendor views it as libel, he may decide to file a lawsuit. That could spell the end of this Forum, which is the reason for my first post (I don’t want BCF to go away). Personally, I’d like a vendor feedback forum, inviting the vendor in question to respond allowing for a more complete view of a problem. While it might push some vendors to do the right thing (if they are in the wrong) in a public arena, it could also make tempers flare more than they need to. Complicating an issue even more.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Cutlass said:
In defense of the no vendor bashing rule, the problem for Basil is that there is rarely more than one side of the issue presented. That's fine if there is no question of the absolute truth of the side presented. The legal problem is publishing incorrect information. We can be careful in presenting factual information, but there's always another side of the story.

I recently had a big problem with a well known vendor, and would have loved to share with all, but ran it by Basil first, and obeyed the no bashing rule.

I didn't know this thread existed until just this morning, but what Cutlass said is spot on. It's really not so much about "basing", but the sad fact is, I have been threatened with a lawsuit(s) in the past over what someone said here regarding a vendor or private transaction. If you want to see this forum shut down in a New York minute, a lawsuit would do it.

I'm not saying that in this case there is necessarily an issue, but once the door is open to discussing problems you may be having with a vendor, it would be very difficult to keep tabs on things and the possibility for problems would increase.

It is a good point that has been made that shared experiences regarding vendors can be helpful, but at the same time, there is always the possibility of the discussion turning south and people engaging in slander.

However, this happens to be a topic I've actually been thinking about for a while now and am working behind the scenes with the mods to see if we can come up with a way to document our experiences with vendors in a way that is fair both to the BCF member and the vendor. Film at eleven.

56freebie

Freshman Member
Country flag
I also sent my 100-4 bumpers to Britanniclassics on Feburary 29 2008
Have received no response from emails and phone calls go straight to voice mail
Not vendor bashing Just suppling facts

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
Guys, I had a problem with a paint shop on my motorcycle parts. Months. They keep saying they they were stripped and were working on it. I finally went there and told him I needed to see the parts. They hadn't been touched. I suggest you go yourself or send someone with written authority to retrieve your property.