• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rubber Bumper to Chrome Bumper Conversion

Tom_Odom

Jedi Hopeful
Can some one inlighten me on what is required to convert a 74.5 MGB to chrome bumpers and lowering to the proper hight?
Thanks,
Tom

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hay Tom, is that thing painted now??

SimonA

Freshman Member
Tom,

I did this conversion to my '77 V8 roadster. Contact me at sdaustin at shaw dot ca and I can fill you in. Pics available.

Cheers
Simon

OP
T

Tom_Odom

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
Hay Tom, is that thing painted now??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Jack, It's painted, repainted, painted again and now cleared. Looks OK for who did it.
Tom

R6MGS

Yoda
I know others will disagree and thats fine, but I feel that if your car came with RB's you should stick with RB's...If you really want a CB car then buy one, price difference between a CB and RB MGB is not really enough to warant a swap. Of course it's your car, and the fun of owning such a car is that it's different from anything else - so do as you please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

darrenb

my car is a 75 supposed to be rb, but came sans bumpers, so for me, its cheaper to do the conversion than buy two new rubber bumpers (at the price i see in teh victoria british), i check ebay every day ofr rubber bumpers, but alas, always come up short.....

OP
T

Tom_Odom

Jedi Hopeful
R6MGS, I understand what you are saying and if I was in the market for an MGB I would be looking for one with Chrome bumpers. I am not or was not an MG person but I bought this car at a fairly good price. It was in good enough shape, (well, solid and all there) that I thought I could put a little money and a lot of time into and have a nice car. It was kind of mustard in color which I have changed to Red. It had rough black interior and I am thinking about installing Biscuit. It had rubber bumpers that I am not really fond of, So I am looking to put chrome ones on.
This is a great place for really good information and I really like to hear everyone ideas.
Thanks,
Tom

OP
T

Tom_Odom

Jedi Hopeful
Darrenb, If you are still in the market for some. I have some and I am sure Tony has a truck load for sale and his are cheaper than shipping would be for most that you would order.

Did you sell your hardtop?
Tom

Steve_S

Yoda
There are other reasons to do a swap other than aesthetics. Swapping to chrome bumpers saves a ton of weight from the car in the most critical place... outside the wheelbase! Losing this weight combined with lowering the ride height should transform the handling abilities of the car.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm not sure completely but I don't think Tony has any rubber bumpers in his stash of stuff.

You all know he departs tomorrow for Korea till about the 22 of the month. He will get new parts but used ones are out of the question. I just can't see his wife doing that. hehe.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I do have several rubber bumpers in my stash....$50 each plus shipping..all they'll need is a little cleaning & possibly a coat of satin black spray paint.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Really, you must have had them hidden. Or maybe I just am not into rubber bumpers. Foiled again.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sitting over under all those MGB fenders standing next to the stack of Midget doors.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh my gosh, guess why I did not dig under there. hehe.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I say go with the chrome ones. Lower the car to where it was designed to be and plan to build an engine with closer to 100 HP than 75. Lighter, 'stiffer' and quicker.

My two cents.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
You all know he departs tomorrow for Korea till about the 22 of the month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thursday am early, Jack...but tomorrow is my last day in the garage - Wednesday is getting everything packed & organized for the trip - flling the cars & trucks that Jerri'll drive while I'm gone & making sure there's no problem with them (her Mercedes has a slow leak on the right rear tire) - running by the ATM, getting haircut, etc....

Oh, I've got lots of chrome bumper parts & pieces also.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And you must see for your self, he has stacks and stacks of parts and then boxes of the same.

If anyone wants anything I'll run up and steal it. Oh wait he had to put in a security system. hehe.

How did the paint turn out for the TD Tony? They get it right this time?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
How did the paint turn out for the TD Tony?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was up in Kentucky all day picking up some used parts - going down early tomorrow morn...hope its right so they can get everything painted while I'm gone.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hope it is correct as well, some progress while you are TDY would be nice.

darrenb

hey tony, i would am definatley interested in the rubber bumpers, how do i go about ordering them from you, i need one of each...lol
and yes i sold the hard top.... soprt of, i screwed up and diddnt update my email address for payments on paypal, now i have sent the guy an email askign him to cancel payment and resend to correct place, i may lose the sale, and probably get a negative feedback, but oh well, sh#$ happens