• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

'78 Chrome Bumper Conversion

GA72TR6

First, thanks to all for their replies to "Stuck Clutch Woes." It works like a charm (after starting in gear) and I'm taking delivery this evening.

My only issue with this 78' model (and other late model Bs) is those heavy, less-than-attractive, rubber bumper covers. Granted, they probably work better at protecting your car in a low-speed impact, but they certainly hamper the classic look of the car.

Has anyone heard of a chrome bumper conversion for the 78'? I'm looking for a complete kit...bumpers, hardware, front turn signal lamps, etc... I was told that Moss Motors was working on one. I've also read about guys successfully adapting an older model bumper set to their rubber bumper models (including interesting stories about how to retr-fit front turn singal indicators). But, without alot of creative retrofitting and fabrication, I have yet to find one I'm willing to try. Any ideas?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'm just in the process of converting my '76. I actually asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and was sent this link https://npmccabe.tripod.com/mg.htm It is someone else's conversion. There are no kits but you can assemble the pieces easily enough. I've seen one done without cutting and it doesn't look quite right. The one I saw retained the mesh grill and just painted it and had the bumpers come through the air holes below the grill opening. It also had the flat spots visible below the tailights where British leyland cut them off to fit the rubber bumpers. My car was rear ended before I got it so I'm ordering a pre '74 valance to replace the dented one. That gets me the curved rear end back. I'm also getting my body guy to fill in the big rectangular holes on the front fenders and will probably actually use Bugeye turn signals as I think they will look better. I'll also have him cut the front rubber bumper brackets back to fit the grill (something the guy in the link I gave you doesn't seem to have done.) It's going to cost me a little more to do it that way but at least it will look right. (And its my car, I have no plans to sell it) Actually my body guy wants to cut radius rear fenders out of the rear fenders also. But hey, it's only my money right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Another option would be no bumpers which I think would actually look better than rubber though it still leaves the problem of the holes in front and the flat spot in back. Good Luck! let me know how it goes.

JP

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I like the no bumper look. Wonder how long I could get away with it here in the states?
JC

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Depends what hits you, a hummer or a jacked up F350 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously with all the jacked up trucks defying bumper standards and all the rice rockets with body kits I can't imagine anyone is going to get too excited about a Spridget with no bumpers especially if no one knows if they had them in the first place.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
LOL...too right. I don't think anyone around here would notice anyway. If one of those wanna be monster trucks (I have one parked next to my LBC) hits you, no amount of bumper is going to slow them down anyway. I usually maintain the same caution in my LBC as I do when I'm riding the motorcycle.
JC