• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye Engine

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
I am currently in the process of restoring a 60 Bugeye. Somehow I have accumulated 2 948 engines and 3 smoothcase transmissions. At this stage I am undecided as to what engine and trans to put in. I am inclined to find a 1275 and a ribcase to rebuild. Anyone have any suggestions regarding the pros and cons of tweaking a 948 during rebuild or opting for the larger 1275 & ribcase? Any thoughts from those familiar with this dilemma is greatly appreciated.

MattP

Jedi Knight
Other than the obvious that Bigger=more power, I would only say that the rest of the decision would be a Concours/matching numbers sort of thing.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My '59 Bugeye has the original 948 motor that's been modified with period mods which raises it to about 57 bhp from the original 45 bhp. I wanted to keep the original motor so I went this route. However, the 1275 is a stronger motor, has 65 bhp stock, is easier to modify for more power and overall is a better engine. The 1275 is going to give you more power for highway speeds. I'd also forget about rebuilding a ribcase and go with one of the 5 speed Datsun conversions. If you want to go concours, stay with the 948. If you want to have fun, go with the 1275 and a 5 spd. Since most bugeyes are modified, anyway, you'll probably increase its value by putting in a 1275.

Happy Healeying,
Rick

OP
E

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
MattP, the engine I pulled obviously had been dipped, painted and possibly rebuilt. The serial number plate is missing. No worries about matching numbers, this is not a concours restoration just a project to help the boys learn what a boxend is.

OP
E

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Rick, sounds like a good idea regarding the 5 speed. Are there other options for the conversion other than the Rivergate?

MattP

Jedi Knight
That's cool then. Go for it. If you decide to dispose of that engine, at least post it in Classifieds.

I am hoping to scrape together the pennies for a Bugeye by 2008. I would like to run one in the Great Race for the 50th anniversary. Part of that will be the correct if not original engine. Plus I wouldn't mind having one to tinker with until I get the rest of the car to go around it.

bradal

Jedi Hopeful
That's a smart project to tackle with your kids. If they are or will soon be of driving age, you may want to keep the 948cc engine to help keep them out of trouble! The 1275 is a perfect swap and drops right in. I did it with mine, but I live on a hill and the 948cc wouldn't get me home with any degree of aplomb. If you switch to a 1275, I would also recommend that you switch to later MG Midget disk brakes in front and use the 1275 rear end - both ready swaps - as the rear end of the 948 is geared low and you need a higher ratio with the 1275. My mechanic friend recommended trashing the smooth case transmission, but I kept it along with the original 948cc engine and original rear end if I ever decide to put it back in original form. These changes made the Bugeye a real hoot to drive and I could get it home without selecting low gear! AL Bradley

OP
E

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
Already acquired rebuilt disc brake assembly. I assume that you are referring to a swap of the differential and not the entire rear axle housing.

bradal

Jedi Hopeful
Yes, just the differential needs to be swapped. Everything else can stay. It's a relatively easy swap. The disk brakes made a huge difference in stopping ability. I just bought an old clapped-out MG Midget for $200, cannibalized the parts I needed and scrapped the rest. You can remove all of the MG nameplates from the engine and only the 1275 plate stamped in the block will give you away. BTW, you will also need an electric fuel pump as the 1275 isn't set up for a mechanical pump like the 948 engine uses. I used a cheap solid state pump from Autozone and a voltage inverter so I wouldn't have to change the car to negative ground. We would all like to hear what you decide on and how you get along with the conversion(s). Good luck! AL Bradley

Bugeye58

Yoda
ER, go with the 1275, but unless you do a lot of freeway driving, the 5 speed isn't really a necessary expense. The ribcase will hold up fine, and if you want, you can dump the 4.22 and go to a 3.9 from the later 1275 cars, or a 3.7 from the 1500's.
I run a 3.9 in mine, but am contemplating going to a 4.22, or 4.55.
No matter what your choice, you will definitely have a ton of fun.
Jeff