• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake Pad Noise

richards

Jedi Hopeful
On my 1974 TR6
I had my mechanic install new, sloted and drilled front rotors and ceramic pads, along with new wheel bearings.

The car stops great, I sure much better than before with stock rotors and pads.
But the pads make a clicking sound as the rotor spins, which I think is from the slots going past the pads.

I jacked up the car, removed the wheel and spun the rotor as fast as I could, and yes the noise is from the pads as far I as can tell. The wheel bearings seem to be adjusted correctly.

The pins holding the pads are the correct 3/16 and the holes in the pad backing look to only fit 3/16.

Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks
Richard
RMS TR6

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Richard,

Years ago, we added a very thin shim top the back of each pad to stop the high speed vibration of the pad, which created the infamous brake squeal. I think that they still come with most pad kits or are available at parts jobbers everywhere.

I'm not sure if that fix would help this issue.

Hmmm, a very good question indeed.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
There is also a coating that can be applied to the back of the pads, this though is to alleviate squealing. On disc brakes there is a slight pad/rotor contact maybe the grooves create the noise and it's normal.
Anyone have this set up? What do you find?
Bob

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
I have the stock rotors but my car does this too. I have had other cars do it as well. A dirty spot, a slightly warped rotor or the grooves will pick up the pad and raise it in the caliper. Then the pad will fall back down. Each cycle makes a click. If I touch the brake pedal very gently the noise stops. I have not tried it yet but I believe that some of the anti-squeal spray will solve the problem. In most cases the spray more-or-less glues the pad to the piston in the caliper. That should stop the pad moving and making noise.

Bryan

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Don't you guys use that blue rubbery stuff to coat the backside of the pads before you install them? It’s like silicone sealer except it is blue in color and forms a pliable coating on the backside of the brake pad (NOT THE FRICTION SIDE THAT CONTACTS THE DISK). It fills the space with a cushiony shim and usually stops sequel and rattles from the pads.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
That might work if the pad is moving back and forth as the slots pass... but possibly the noise is produced because the pad is lightly in contact with the rotor and the slots are catching the edge of the pad as they pass.

In the latter case perhaps a chamfer on the leading edge of the pad might help (for awhile).

Does the clicking go away if you do a couple of hard lefts & rights w/o braking? That maneuver usually knocks the pads back a bit so they are not touching the rotor. Might give you a clue how to resolve the nuisance noise.

Tomster

Jedi Knight
I can't offer anything specific to the possibility of drilled rotor-clcking issue. The sugestions above are all good.
If you have a rotor + pad noise or glazing issue you can sometimes fix this by braking gently and steadily while reversing in a straight line. This may sort of plane off any feathering of the pads and move or loosen dust.
Be careful to not hit anything!