• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gimme a Brake..............Pad

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I have them on my TR4 - I like them, nice and quiet, firm, but can't say if I'm stopping better now than before as I changed out a warped rotor at the same time. For your wires, though, be prepared for a lot more brake dust, for some reason the pads seem to put out more than what I had on before.

Randy

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
it says they put out less brake dust...

I'm trying to get rid of the sqealing sound thats coming from my front brakes.

I did change the rotors...

EBC GREENSTUFF 2000 SERIES PREMIUM BRAKE PAD SET -- Made From Select Non-Asbestos Organic Formulation Using Aramid Fibers Without Steel Fibers Or Carbon Particles Which Produce Dust, Designed For Premium And Spirited Street Driving, Offers Better Brake Effect Up To 600?C (1100?F), <span style="font-weight: bold">Designed To Minimize Brake Dust Up To 40% Better Than Standard Pads</span>, Engineered To Resist Fade And Reduce Noise Under Extreme And Normal Braking, Features Center Line Slots To Prevent Cracking And A Coating Which Cleans Up Rotors And Accelerates Pad Break-In, Set Includes Left And Right Brake Pads, Recommended For Cars With Up To 200

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
FWIW -- I'm using the semi-metallic pad offered by Moss and "guaranteed not to dust, squeal or fade".

Thye do not squeal and there is very little dust (much less than with the stock pads I had before).

This is on a TR4 though likely a similar pad is offered for the 6 (or perhaps it is the same pad?).

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Hmm, well you are right about the advert, but my alloys have needed significant cleaning since I installed the pads - maybe it is heavier due to bedding in and will get better. I don't think it will ever be dust-free though.

I also saw where others have complained about squeels, so the pads may not be immune to that either.

On Geo's note, the late TR4 pad is the same as the early TR6 pad.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Friends have the Green Stuff pads in a Porsche or two they flog around on track days, they've told me they DO give off more dust than the semi-metallic ones, and seem to fade a bit with REALLY hard use.

Personally, I'd be putting standard pads in, anti-squeal compound and a ~trace~ of anti-seize on the calipers at the travel/contact points. If they squeal mow, pull the pads and clean everything well (get all dust cleaned from calipers), treat 'em with an aerosol Permatex anti-squeal compound and try again.

MadMarx

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I started with green stuff for normal road cars and now using yellow stuff on the track.

They don't dust much if you brake them in properly.

They give good results.

Cheers
Chris

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
It's kinda strange that they advertise them,

"Designed To Minimize Brake Dust Up To 40% Better Than Standard Pads"

Well thanks guys, I guess I'll go with a semi metalic pad, and lots of aerosol Permatex anti-squeal...

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
I talked to Kai Radicki and Ted Schumacher about the best pad to use for everyday driving and both recommended Kevlar over Green Stuff. I've only put about 125 miles on the car since getting back on the road so I can't comment on brake dust but they sure do stop good! https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/BrakeUpgrade2.htm

swift6

Yoda
kodanja said:
It's kinda strange that they advertise them,

"Designed To Minimize Brake Dust Up To 40% Better Than Standard Pads"

They don't tell you what they consider the "Standard Pads", so its really a non-specific claim. Especially since they use the same material for many different applications.

FWIW, I am using EBC Green Stuff pads on my TR8 right now. I wash it pretty regularly so I haven't noticed an abundance of dust, though anecdotal tales state that they are very dusty pads.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Along with eliminating the squeal, I really need to avoid the build up of brake dust with my Dayton spokes.
If youv'e ever try to clean them, you know what I mean.

Here's another question, Does someone make a dust shield for knockoff spokes?

I have them on my Jeep....

tr4.jpg

martin_burtt

I had a problem with squealing brakes and the metal anti-squeal shims (from TRF?) cured the problem.

I've since switched to Green Stuff (without the shims) and they work fine. I noticed a small improvement in braking performance but not sure if it's really that significant. Can't say I've noticed more (or less) dust with my steel rims.

If you're just looking to stop the squeal, I'd try the shims first.

Cheers,
Martin

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
will do!

MadMarx

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
DNK said:
Chris,long time no hear??

right - much work, no racing...sorry for that....but this year are 6 races on the schedule with such high lights as: Brands Hatch, Nordschleife and SPA.

From what I read here about dust:

If you bake those pads in like you would do with normal pads....they will dust and wear away very quickly (okay - in USA with those slow speeding thy might last a while)

To make these pads last - forget all you know about braking in:

1. brake down from 40 mph to a nearly stop at about 80% emergency brake - do this 7 times
2. brake down from 60 mph to a nearly stop at all what you can do, but don't lock the wheels - do this 10 times.

After this procedure let the brakes cool down at cruising speed.

NOW - they are ready to bite and are toasted through to last for long, and they won't dust anymore.

Cheers
Chris