• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake job - need some advice

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
Hey All,

It's way past time to do a brake job on the car. It is a 67 BJ8. Rotors and drums are original and warped and/or out of round. Not any scoring, just in need of attention. Recently, I rebuilt the booster and replaced the master cylinder. The rear slaves were replaced by the PO, but don't know when. Front calipers are original, but not leaking and don't feel like there are binding. The car stops well and straight, but pulsates enough to cause neck pain ... and the squealing from the drums get me lots of attention at stops from the surrounding motorists and pedestrians!

I have read that the drums are hardened and can't be turned. Is this true? Where is a good place to get new rotors, drums, pads, shoes, and associated hardware? Do new drums come "balanced" or do I need to have them checked? Who does drum balancing near San Diego? While I have everything apart, is there anything else I should be checking?

Thanks,
Mark

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
You can get parts from any of the usual suspects.
Drums do not come balanced. In fact, they come unbalanced if original. I sent mine out to Hendrix for and I swear they had to melt down a manifold and weld to the drum to get in balance judging by the amount of metal welded on it. I'm sure the drums can be turned but seldom necessary. Have you checked the adjustment on rears? Pulsing is usually from disks. Any shop can check them for being warped. Squeal is usually due to calipers. Doesn't mean they are shot. The squeal fix is sometimes a shim like piece of metal behind the pad. A little brake grease in the appropriate places wouldn't hurt. I don't know if disks can be turned but disks are cheap.

OP
M

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Andy for the reply!

I wasn't sure if the drums are a normal wear item that could be turned to true them out. I have not run out of adjustment on the rears, just wanted to change the shoes out since it seemed that they are hardened due to age (which is where the squeaking is comming from). Normally when I change the rear shoes on other cars (which wasn't often since they don't wear like the fronts), I always had the drums turned. But hearing that the Healey drums were hardened, didn't know if they could be turned.

As far as the parts go. I will just hit one of the west coast suppliers.

Thanks again,
Mark

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Mark, don't remember which person's website but I do remember reading that the brake lines themselves need to be checked to make sure their not rusted. The article went on to say to check the lines by "rolling" the handle of a screwdriver along the length of line and "listen" for a crunchy sound, indicating a rusty line. Might be worth checking as long as you have the car up on jack stands/ or a lift.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Mark, On the big Healey The principal cause of brake squeal associated with the drum rear brakes is that the brake shoes are of the bonded type. Consequently, I suggest you find a source that will remove the old lining and replace it with new riveted ones. Similarly, have the new shoes arched to the drums by the same facility. As far as parts go I send the originals to WhitePost Restorations for a rebuild and keep a set of spares. Otherwise I think parts is parts---Fwiw---Keoke

OP
M

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
Thanks guys for the info...

Keoke, who does drum balancing out this way? Also, who has the better brands of brake parts to order from?

Thanks...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I do not have the source of the work but if you can locate a Group in your area called "Under Car Parts" they get it all done for me and stock most steering and brake replacement parts. As a last ditch stand check with the crew at the Auto Museum in the restoration dept.
they probably know of a local source. As for parts I send the originals to White Post Restorations for a rebuild and keep a set on hand as spares. Otherwise I think Parts is Parts--Fwiw--Keoke