• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BE Electric Fuel Pump Q

BWillis

Jedi Knight
I have my pump and need to add it to the fuel line. I want to place the pump behind the rear bulkhead where the fuel line runs down and under the car. I know this is the standard place to put it and wondered what the best path was to run power back there for the pump.

I've looked and there doesn't appear to be a way to do it without drilling a few holes! Eck!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Single wire from the starter switch to the passanger side, down to the floor, along the side to the bulkhead, over to where you mount the switch then through the floor. All done.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ben, follow the same path as the fuel gauge wiring, and you won't have to drill any holes. I'd run it from the ignition switch, so it came on when you turn the key on. If you wire it to the starter switch, you'll need a separate switch to control the pump.
You may want to add an inline fuse, too.
Jeff

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I just ran mine under the car, alongside the fuel line. Just make sure you place it where it can't get pinched, chafe, or otherwise get damaged. And, yes, definitely add a fuse.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Run it under the mats along the side, then a small hole where you need it to go to the pump. Of course the switch connection on the key switch so it only runs when the key is on. Think a fuse is not necessary as it is on a key switch.

dklawson

Yoda
Most LBCs I'm familiar with would have pulled an additional white wire off the switched coil terminal and run it back to the tank to power the pump. Typically these were not fused, nor were there any safety interlocks. I'm not saying this was smart, or correct for BEs.

A friend of mine installed an electric pump in his LBC which originally had a mechanical pump. After thinking about it he made the decision to use the electric pump as part of his "security system". Instead of pulling a dedicated power wire for the pump, he spliced it's hot lead into the tail-lights. The pump would not run if you didn't use the running lights. A would-be thief would only be able to drive the car about 1/4 mile before it might run out of fuel.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Doug, I've seen them wired to the coil terminal too, but I'd just as soon not have any additional draw on the power to the coil. The ignition generally can use all the help it can get.
As far as using the fuel pump as an anti theft device, there are a myriad ways to wire it for that.
Jeff

OP
B

BWillis

Jedi Knight
I'll get some wire tomorrow and see what I can do.

I still gotta figure out how to bolt the pump to the body. Nothing in that area to bolt to either. Man, the details will kill ya when putting a car back together.

This car actually had the electric pump on the front drivers side fender where the fuel line comes up. I didnt like it there though as its already a pretty crowded spot.

Thanks for all of the replies.

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
I am just about to do this too. When I acquired the car, it had a push-type SU pump installed (wrongly) under the bonnet and it died an electrical death soon after I got it.

After replacing it temporarily with a Facet pump I had it restored and converted to electronic innards by Dave Dubois, and am also intending to install it at the back.

Please will a later model owner with the rear-mounted original equipment pump please post a pic of where it is supposed to go?

OP
B

BWillis

Jedi Knight
Chris,

There must have been some kind of fitting added to the later rear bulk head. You know, I have a 71 in the driveway. Maybe I'll take a pic in the morning. Never thought about it LOL!

With that bulkhead being made of two pieces of steel with a 3+ inch space inside it makes it harder to bolt the pump up. I need to have this figured out myself for installation tomorrow night to stay on schedule for EuroFest.

I LOVE deadlines, the best thing in the world for motivation!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bugeye never had an elec pump from the factory.

Goes back by axle under the hump they are push pumps not pull.

bugimike

Yoda
And as far as a "security" or "anti-theft" deterrent, a simple switch mounted somewhere/anywhere (handy, but known only to you)in the feed line to the pump will work just fine!! In fact a switch for the fuel pump is handy to have when setting/tuning the ignition (when one wants the ignition energized but does not want the pump ticking away with the engine not running!!). /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
There are two type of pumps. If you look at yours, it is square, then it is a pulse type and you can hear it run. You might think of mounting it on a heavy rubber to insulate the noise from the passenger comp(make sure you ground it to the body). If it is a rotor type, you will see a round cyl. and it wil be quite. The hardest part of either installation is getting started, and you are already there.

OP
B

BWillis

Jedi Knight
Well I got the pump all mounted up today and working. I wound up running the wire with the tail light loom and drilling a hole in the tunnel for it with a grommet. I also wound up drilling a hole and using a self threading bolt to secure it to the bulkhead.

Seems to work but sure is loud with no fuel to push just yet. Thanks for everyones suggestions!

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
Please post a pic of your installation... (and/or the installation in your 71)

OP
B

BWillis

Jedi Knight
Okay, you asked for it.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 7726.jpg
    7726.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 59

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lovely, nice install.

How come your rear shocks are painted black, supose to be natural.