• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

?Changing BE to SU electric fuel pump

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Realized a couple of weeks back that the 1275 cc engine we've installed in our Bug-Eye doesn't use a mechanical fuel pump. I've purchased a 'pointless' SU electric pump, and the wiring harness will have a connection when it arrives. I'd like to have a fuel filter upstream of the pump, and maybe another one upstream of the carb (probably a Weber 40DCOE). I'm looked at my Haynes manual and checked some parts manuals but am confused and sure would appreciate some guidance as to how/where to install the pump and running the fuel lines and connections etc. Thanks, Doug

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Doug, I am running a mechanical pump, but, general wisdom is that pushing is better so, as close to the tank as possible. After that lines route as normal. Drew will hopefully be along in a minute to post a picture of his setup which is about as neat as it gets.

By the way I love the image of a pointless pump! :p

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The 1275 engine (plus another 1275 block and a 1098 block) aren't cast/drilled/tapped to accommodate a mechanical pump in the same spot as our 0ld 948 cc, so I'm intrigued by your mechanical: where? how? But having a pre-paid, purchased, pointless, pump.... (yeah - a lifelong weakness for alliteration and bad puns). Thanks! Doug

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I used my mechanical pump straight from my 948 on my 1275. I like it because it has the manual lever for priming which I have used many times after letting it sit long enough for the gas to evaporate. My block was tapped and had a blanking plate on it. Mine was from '72. Maybe the later blocks were different. The 1098 10CG would have a mechanical pump and the 10CC electric. I used to run a filter before and after the pump when I had some rust in the tank. Now I just have a glass serviceable filter after the pump.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
doug
Some 1275 blocks had holes and some didn't have holes for the mechanical pump- depends on the year/model engine
I have one block with a hole and two without
BillM

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The common place to mount an electric fuel pump on a Bugeye is in the same rough location as they did on later Spridgets -- on the rear bulkhead ahead of the rear axle. Ideally you want the pump as close to the tank as you can get. I don't have a photo of what I did with the Tunebug (thought that used a Carter pump).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The 1275 engine (plus another 1275 block and a 1098 block) aren't cast/drilled/tapped to accommodate a mechanical pump in the same spot as our 0ld 948 cc, so I'm intrigued by your mechanical: where? how? But having a pre-paid, purchased, pointless, pump.... (yeah - a lifelong weakness for alliteration and bad puns). Thanks! Doug

remember, mine is a 1500 (Big Block!)

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This is what I did for my 60Frog......A couple of items to mention.....I believe that the Facet pump should have been mounted at an angle per the instructions (It is still running ok as far as I know after 5 years).....I mounted the Facet on rubber mounts to reduce noise.....it should also be noted that the bulkhead in front of the rear axle is doubled, so the install is a little more involved. I always figured that one filter should be enough. I know you have an SU, maybe you could use the mounting bracket from a later Sprite/Midget. PICT0009a.JPG
Scott in CA