• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone for an MGF

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ooo... that could be fun... would definitely get ya in to the "different" club... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm fairly sure that this car cannot come into the US legally, except as a "track only" race car.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
aeronca is correct...

I've been to Mexico to the MG dealer in Quadalahara (probably spelled wrong) & talked with them...1st, they can't sell to an American who isn't a permanent resident...so, I went to a garage/auto rental place....they also can't sell to me...however, they can sell me "car parts"...so, they'd buy the new car (using my money) & sell me the auto minus the drivetrain putting it in a truck bound for Alabama...then, they'd sell me the drivetrain, putting it in a sepaate container bound for America...

...then, I'd put it together....

...it could never be registered as a 2005 MG-TF (though I could probably do so with my contacts) nor insured as no 2005 MG-TF's were ever imported to the states so there's no "line" for an insurance company to insure it against...

...I could put a 1965 MGB VIN on it & register it that way but were it ever in an accident, my insurance would invalidate my policy & I'd be on my own.

...I could register it as a homemade car & call it whatever I wanted & go the kit car route but then it would be devalued tremendously

...trust me on this one - I've flown to Mexico, talked with license registration folks & insurance folks, gotten an attorney to delve into it - most everything

...& you don't see me bidding on it!

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I have wanted that car for 3 years.
~sigh~

Country flag
Its a high risk... as other s have said it seems virtually impossible to do in any legal way.

Besides which ITS extortionate money. One in the UK could be ahd for significantly less:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-MG-TF-GREY_W0QQitemZ4605817931QQcategoryZ18262QQssPageNameZ

and older/higher mileage ones could be had for much less yet again, if anyone were interested....

I'm kind of thinking about getting one myself... once the current AH project stops bleeding the old bank account, and the wife turns her back, and I could pass it off as a car for the kid....

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Was wondering why I did not see your name on the bid list Tony. Now I see why.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, I did send katez3418 (0 feedback ebay member since March 05 - never sold or bought anything on ebay before) a message asking him:

1) how can you guarantee me we can get it registered & licensed for road use in the USA, anf
2) how will I be able to insure it through USAA

Guess what? I've not heard back from him - mymymy

mattmacklind3

Jedi Hopeful
Those cars are kind of pretty. I've never seen one in person. There was a Fiat Barchetta for sale in my area, though, and made me wonder how they managed to license it, etc. I thought the Fiat was pretty, too.

kbash

Jedi Trainee
I love MG, and Ive looked at some of there new ones before they went out again. But to me , I'm in it for the old class. if i wanted modern I would have bough modern, I love the older sports car and cars. Speaking of that nice Jag on Barret Jackson, yesterday night.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bidding has ended for the MGF - here's the answer I go from him:

"I am with customs. If and when there is a clear and US title I will put it back on Ebay"

MGretired

Pity,
I rented an MGF in the UK about 3 years ago...great car! Ballsy acceleration and fun to drive...would have done well in the US I think..

swift6

Yoda
The last generation Toyota MR2 Spyder is nearly a dead ringer for the MGF. A friend of mine has one and simply wants to put MG badges on it. Sort of his own form of "badge engineering".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
So, I'm not the only one that's noticed the similarities between the two cars, eh? Wish I could the two parked next to each other to see how closely the chassis resemble each other. Yer friend might be able to take it another step further by getting MGF body panels and engineering them to fit the MR2 Spyder chassis... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

swift6

Yoda
I'm afraid to even suggest that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Actually I like the dody design of the MR2 a little better. Then again, I am a rumfie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif