• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Another mystery to be sloved with my spitfire

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks to the help of some of the fine forum members the mystery of my trans was solved. Now the plot thickens again and I need more help.

The serial # on my engine begines with FE and ends in E. Most of the numbers in betwenn are unreadable at the moment. In my research it appears that this prefix did not show up until 1969 or 1970. My car is a 68. Is this a large journal crankshaft or a small?

Also the engine has been modified with a Dellorto carb and may have a different head on it than stock. Can anybody tell me where on the head to find the part #. I find lots of numbers but none seem to come close to what the part # should be.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It sounds as if the engine has been replaced. As I understand it, the head of the 1296 and 1500 is the same. Rather than a non-stock head, the manifold could be modified. Sometimes unraveling the mysteries of the car is part of the fun with the old cars. When you're trying to find the correct parts is not so much fun. T.T.

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Darwin.
After asking around, the E might have a H or L in front of it, Meaning H- High compression L- Low compression, I asked this a while back on the Sports 6 and was told HE for higher grade fule's and LE for lower...ie. India and most other low octane area's.
If you get a chance to read the #'s fully it might help.
BTW Andy Mace has plenty-o-info on the Triumph range, Nice guy too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Good luck

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Hi, Darwin (and Brian)!

I don't know if I'm going to clear up or deepen the mystery.

I happen to have a complete (and likely original) "FE" series engine, which has only the "E" suffix. I've any number of 1147s that have the "HE" suffix, not to mention and early "FK" (1296 MkIV US Spitfire) engine with "HE" as well.

As to the head, the part number is, I believe, the stamped number and not any of the cast-in numbers. That stamped number can be found as you look at the top of the head from the manifold side, on the flat area between the 2nd and 3rd head studs. It might read something like 515573 (a number I found on both a "loose" head and one mounted on the complete "FK" engine).

Head numbers can be a bit difficult to track down. The above number doesn't seem to show up in my edition of the Mk3 Spitfire factory Spare Parts Catalogue; however, Canley Classics (UK) uses that part number to define a Herald 13/60 "unleaded" head they sell!

Essentially, any and all of the 10-stud four cylinder heads are interchangeable, the major differences being in size of valves, thickness of the head (determining compression ratio) and whether or not it's got holes for the emission system air injection rails on later "Federal" Spitfire 1500s.

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It seems we have heard it from the horse's mouth...as it were...

"High compression engines were either E or HE, low compression engines were LE -
however the lower compression engines in the US weren't classed as low
compression hence the E suffix.
John Kipping"

There you go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
Darwin

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I so if I am understanding this correctly, and I'm probably not 'cause I can be rather dense at times, I have in all probablility a low compression engine made for US import. The head number if I can find it will help me identify which size valves I have, correct? also is there any clue as to the journal size in the serial #. I need to order parts be fore I tear down as this is my dialy driver and I need it on the road as much as possible.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm learning but it takes time for it to get thru the concrete.

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Welcome back Darwin!
I think John was saying that there were no low compression engines in the US. due to fuel standards, Back when they made the Sports 6 they made them 2 ways for the reast of the world or USA/Canada/EU. At least that is how I took it and from what I remember from the last time I asked.
Im sure there is a way to tell the journal size...We just need to ask more I suppose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Have fun

OP
Darwin

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks all for the great responces. Gotta love this place.