• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another interesting eBay item

T

Tinster

Paul-

Should I be looking to purchase these types
of components to make Crypty more reliable?

Almost anything has got to be better than what
I have now for reliability. That E-bay setup
doesn't look like it would break down any time soon!

thanks,

dale

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That would be "no"

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I saw just looking at one of those rare GT6's on E-bay, you know the ones... the ones that come with "a straight inline V-6" I have been loooking for one of those motors for a long time...

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm:
Thats a bunch a Carburetor for a six cyl.
I run an 850 Holley D.P. On my M.H. Ford 460 Cu.In. 400++ H.P. engine. Even on it, the 850 is plenty of carb.
I can`t imagine putting one on a six cly engine.
Some might say jet it down, well if your gonna do that you might as well use something smaller in the first place.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Ive wanted to do a Holley four barrel for a few years, but never could figure out where to have an adapter manifold made. I think a 650 would work good. That manifold must be home made, it looks like it sets a little high--it might have interference with the air cleaner and hood.--------- It was either Victoria British or Moss who just came out with a new Weber 2brl and adapter manifold for a 6, I think it was a larger 2brl than the 2 weber set up.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tinster said:
Paul-

Should I be looking to purchase these types
of components to make Crypty more reliable?

Almost anything has got to be better than what
I have now for reliability. That E-bay setup
doesn't look like it would break down any time soon!
I think if that car were running fine, this seller wouldn't be parting it out. But who knows?

Dale, I'm really nowhere near being an expert on these things (I, like you, consider myself a beginner and am learning little by little as I go along), but from personal experience I'd have to say that the original design and equipment has the potential to be very reliable. I have had my 6 for 5 years now. For the first year it ran pretty well with occasional distributor issues (loose wire or cracked rotor) and some mornings I had to rely on a can of starter fluid to get going. After that year I had electronic ignition installed and the carbs tuned a bit and for the past four years it has run relatively flawlessly. Everything is original equipment except the electronic ignition. I feel bad "boasting" about my good luck so far because I definitely feel for you with the phenomenal bad luck Pedro has passed on to you, but I think somewhere within the Triumph components you have is a reliable set-up waiting to be reborn.
I still think slipping DPO Pedro a Mickey and selling his organs on the black market to fund your repairs is the way to go! He owes you! But the more I think about it, knowing Pedro, if you opened him up you'd probably find some cheapo aftermarket baboon heart, only one kidney held in place with coat hanger wire, and half a liver with an old gym sock bondoed to it and painted red to match.
Keep your head up and don't buy any Holley carbs for your car!

T

Tinster

"if you opened him up you'd probably find some cheapo aftermarket baboon heart, only one kidney held in place with coat hanger wire, and half a liver with an old gym sock bondoed to it and painted red to match."

I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt!!

Made my day!

Thanks for the boost in spirits.

dale

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
I've driven a lbc for many years and hve found that if you get the carbs right and don't mess with them, they will be OK. The issue is we want to "adjust" them and they get out of wack. A buddy had a weber on his bugeye and it was to much carb for it. The advantage we all hve in the forum is the advise of all our friends and go with what is best. Good luck.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Holley carbs are reliable, easy to work on, rebuild, rejet, change the power valve, and tune ETC. BUT .... I think an 850 Double pumper would be a bit much for a stock 6 cyl Tr engine.
If you like flushing raw gasoline out your exaust pipe then an 850 D.P. is the way to go! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
I agree with the general consensus here, stick with O.E.M., get em working properly and likely you`ll have a happy economical engine.

roofman

Jedi Knight
About 10 years ago I put a Mustang 302 in a Ford ranger pickup and installed a 750 carb. I reget doing so and if were to do over would have installed a 650. An 850 on a six cylinder seems silly.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
That a fairly small Holley carb on that Tr engine. It's a single feed, vacuum secondary style...maybe on 600 CFM at best. Still way too big for the engine.

My last SERIOUS dirt car ran a 650 on a 351C Ford engine. We only ran about 6000 RPM down the straights so we calculated that a 650 was the maximum we needed. We were right.

I also had a Holman-Moody prepared 427 FE Ford in an earlier incarnation of the same car. That engine ran a 700 CFM Holley. We also ran it no more that 6500 RPM and it ran five seasons without a rebuild. We weren't the fastest but we were [censored] close and the car was cheap to operate, too.

Overcarburation is a big no-no for me.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Yankee TR, I ran an asphalt Ford(late model)here in California, we were restricted to 500 2blr Holley but still managed to get 6000+ rpm, but the engine really needed alot more carb. I dont think a 600 or 650 would be too big for the six if it has a standard performance build. Im running tripple Webers, I dont know what the cfm is of the Webers but Im guessing they have to be at least 600cfm and they ran great even when all I had was a stock motor with 10-1 compression and headers.---------------Anybody have any ideas on the manufacturer of that 4brl adapter manifold or do you think its homebuilt?

AweMan

Jedi Knight
If it`s home made someone did one heck of a good job on the Manifold fabrication. {I would guess, NOT Home Made} Looked at that carb again and yea it`s probably a
Holley 390cfm Vacuum Secondary 4-Barrel Carburetor. Which would be ok for a six cylinder or small stock V8, 260, 289, 302 ETC.
I jumped to conclusions assuming it was the 850 Double Pumper, {It isn`t even the right shape} {float bowls} anyway.
I should a looked closer the first time.