• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another Impulse Car Purchase!

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Picked up another car last night-- a 1984 Porsche 944. I loved these cars when I was younger. This one was advertised for $1500 because the clutch master cylinder is shot ($50 part.) Also, when I first went to look at it, the car wouldn't start -- but I figured it was something minor.

My buddy Adam and I picked it up last night for significantly less than the asking price (a three figure amount!!!) We pushed it down the street to get it in a place where we could put it on the trailer -- then Adam says "I can get this to start." He leans under the dash, gets back up, cranks the key a few times and brrrr -- it starts. The solenoid connections are bad, but it was the clutch safety switch.

It was running low on gas, and one of the tires was low...but otherwise Adam was preparing to just drive it 70 miles back to Olympia (with no clutch!)

I don't have a place to put it, but I'll replace the clutch master and fix the starter, and then figure out what to do -- maybe I'll get rid of the '89 Corvette...or maybe I'll just put this in my neighbor's garage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

944small.jpg

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
only 3 figures? wow... looks like you got yourself a good find... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I forgot to mention that the owner left several dollars in change in the car too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Nice buy, congrats Sammy. I love those cars also. I was a kid in high school when those were all the rage. A friend of my mom and dads had one and I was in awe of her and her car. One night she asks me if I know how to drive stick. I had just gotten my learners permit a few weeks before and I had been driving my fathers Cobra Mustang w/ stick every waking moment since then, so off we went. What a blast for a 16 year old kid, to be driving a real Porsche! Wow, three figures for that. Hey man, can I buy you a plane ticket out here to Jersey so you can help me haggle down the seller on my next car? Even paying for the ticket I think I'll still come out ahead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I had a chance a few years back to pick up a 928 for a song. A friend was selling it, it was basically the risky business car, same year, same wheels, same color, everything. It needed a fair amount of work though, seat upholstery, battery, tires, a few mechanical odds and ends. The high cost of parts for the car and the high insurance were what finally scared me away, but oh man, to have that 8 cylinder screaming, boy do I regret having passed on that car. I find myself looking at ads for 928's all the time, especially the later S editions.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I also like 928s. I've driven them quite a bit. Never buy one that hasn't had a ton of work, because a $4000 928 can turn into a $10,000 928 pretty quickly.

As for buying/haggling, it's not rocket science. It takes persistence in looking at ads, and then realizing who needs money fast...then setting a price and sticking to it. It's that simple.

My current favorite site for car ads is www.craigslist.com. That's where I found this Porsche.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
yeah, I remember the 944s when I was in high school too... one or two rich kids drove theirs to school... then I saw the 2nd gen RX7 (another rich kid drove it to school) and couldn't help notice the similarities...

I like the creased "fat fender" look that many of the sports cars/coups had back in the 80s.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
congrats Sammy. If you need to unload it due to room, I'd gladly toss the generous sum of $1000 at ya for it.

G

[ QUOTE ]
As for buying/haggling, it's not rocket science. It takes persistence in looking at ads, and then realizing who needs money fast...then setting a price and sticking to it. It's that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the theory of all this, but the application is where I have the problem. Honestly, it's something about cars, I get so hopped up over the prospect of a new set of wheels that the seller can see me coming from a mile away. I don't have this problem with anything but cars though, send me out to buy a washing machine and I can go in with a poker face and get the lowest price in town, but cars, I'm like a kid in a candy store. Thankfully I get a deal through my employer on new Fords at a few local dealerships, so I should be able to get my new Mustang at invoice, otherwise I fear that I'd pay more than I want to just to get the car. I guess I'm not alone though, there's alot of people out there paying 3-4K over sticker for that car right now, which is insane. In a year or two there will be a glut of them on the lots and people will be getting good deals. I guess it's the "gotta have it now" syndrome. Must.....resist.....

Sammy, you need a new banner pic now with your new aquisition in it. Did anyone see that Delorean on the first page of the Craigslist, the one painted red? I hate it when they paint those cars.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, it's something about cars, I get so hopped up over the prospect of a new set of wheels that the seller can see me coming from a mile away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely the key is to be able to walk away. Unless the car is unique (and they almost never are at the level of cars that we all can afford,) you know there will always be another opportunity. Time always is in the buyer's favor (and is a noose around most sellers' necks.)

The best thing to do is to walk into looking at a car and tally all the car's faults in your head (ALL OF THEM,) that helps you actually get unpsyched and even consider not taking a good deal. Most sellers will get discouraged when a seller walks away, especially when they point out a few of the faults (don't point out everything -- just the main issues,) but leave the door open for buying at a lower price to justify the faults. Often I get calls less than 24 hours later with a significantly lower ask.

And the car is down at my buddy's shop. Once I have time to get a new clutch master and get it installed, I'll bring it home.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
maybe I'll get rid of the '89 Corvette...or maybe I'll just put this in my neighbor's garage!

[/ QUOTE ]If you want to change that "8" to a "6" before the word "Corvette", I might try to take one car off your hands!

Where do you find neighbors that will do that for you? I need to find a neighbor like that--I saw a Tiger for sale in yesterday's newspaper and mentioned it to my wife. I then said "I just need more garage space, like Sammy!" (she has seen your garage photo). She responded with "Maybe there is room for a new double-length garage next to the house."

That was a first! In the past, it's always been "You have too many cars already." But she knows how long I have been looking for a Tiger (since before I bought the MGA). She also knows that the only cars I would sell the MGA to buy are a Tiger, a '62 FI Corvette, or a Cobra. So, progress is slow but still alive. Maybe there is hope yet!

Oh, great buy on the 944, by the way. My oldest son wanted one in high school but had to settle for a 914 2.0 instead (much more practical in Colorado snow than a 944, according to Dad at the time). And I had a ball driving the 914, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
... And I just need the cash for an impulse buy in the first place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif Some of the truly unique cars I crave only come around so often (unlike the zillions of MG Midget's, Spitfire's et al out there)

I did just spot my dream car for sale in Vancouver, B.C. - a 1966 Triumph 2000, for $5,000, out of my present budget range unfortunately, however these 2000's rarely show up for sale here in North America.

I suppose it's my fault for my taste in vehicles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Nice find, Sammy... I thought I lucked into a $2000 1986 944, until I got the front half of the engine rebuilt. It was well worth the money, until I cracked the block a few months later... sold it for $1000, had $5000 invested. CHECK YOUR COOLANT OFTEN! Enjoy, and once again, green with envy.
Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

Eric

Jedi Warrior
Lovely cars - one of my favourites. If you aren't already aware, the timing belt/idlers/water pumps on these cars aren't long lived and will turn the interference engine into a nicely machined alloy paperweight if they fail. There's lots of info on the web about this. Not a tough job, but you will encounter Porsche parts prices......

Enjoy!

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Eric,
Exactly what happened to mine... thanks for spelling it out, couldn't think of the order of problems that led to its demise, but you said it all! Sammy's a car nut though, I was just a nut. He'll check it and get it straight before the road testing (I couldn't wait, unfortunately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)... The few times I put it to the limits were some of my best driving moments.

Brian

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
When I asked the previous owner when the last time the timing belt was changed, he didn't know. So I'm definitely going to be, as Bob Dylan would have said if he were a car nut: "Oh the timing belts, they are a-changing!"

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Great purchase. I have always wondered why I have never owned one of these cars...I like almost everything about them (I have owned a 356).
A racing buddy of mine bought a 944 for the same price as you about 6 months ago...well-worn but in decent overall shape. I was just walking around under it the other day (it was on a lift). He's gutted it and just welded in a cage. He's going vintage racing with it (first event is planned to be the Jefferson 500 at VIR in a few weeks). Just adding a timing belt...otherwise, the 100,000 mile powertrain will be left as is. He says the engines are pretty bulletproof.