• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ammeter and Fog Lamp Switch Location

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My 56 100M came with an old ammeter in parts box. In addition, a friend got me a set of old Lucas rangefinder fog lamps/driving lights at the Goodwood Autojumble. My question, where would the meter and lamp switch normally be located on the dash? I believe the ammeter was a factory option on some AH's but not sure about driving lights.

The back of the dash that came with the car has a number of repairs to it - three holes that could be switches across the top middle and one large patch that could be a hole for a gauge close to the passenger side handle. The dash was not in the car when I got it so not sure if its original or not, thought it had some Reno Red paint on it which was the original top two-tone color.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Mike, it sounds like the holes in your dash are what might typically be found when someone has either added or subtracted some items. Here is what I did with mine. Hope the pics comes thru.
Dave.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF2066.JPG
    Copy of DSCF2066.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 87
OP
MikeAH100M

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Dave. Nice looking, well sorted dash. I see that you have 2 gauges added - voltmeter and ammeter?

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yeh Mike, 2 gauges, Volts & Amps. Did it just for the heck of it. I'm not very concerned with the High amperage wire coming into the cockpit for the amp gauge. Ya know a high amperage wire has to go somewhere in any charging system and you should certainly make good connections no matter where you run a wire. I went to an alternator and the distance from the original regulator location to the amp gauge only adds about 2 feet of wire. I added a jumper across my amp meter terminals just in case the gauge would burn out sometime so that the circuit would not open. I have had an amp meter in my 1970 Vette for the last 30 years, have never touched it or moved the connections and it still works fine. But I also agree that an Amp meter is not necessary. If you have a volt meter and it reads less than 12volts, you know you have a problem. If you have devices on and the voltmeter doesn't show at least something above 12 volts you know you have a problem. Dave.