• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Aftermarket Fuel Pump

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I got a Mr. Gasket #42s fuel pump that's rated at 2-3.5 PSI as a replacement for the orignal SU on my 74. I plan on mounting it in the same place the SU is in. Is there a need to drop in a pressure regulator too? I've got rebuilt HS2 carbs that have not yet had fuel in them since rebuild. Also going with a new fuel tank.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Should work just fine without a pressure regulator as the rateing is 2-3.5 which is just right. In fact I understand anything up to 5 lbs is ok.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
"""""""I've got rebuilt HS2 carbs """"""

"""""Is there a need to drop in a pressure regulator too?"""

""""""#42s fuel pump that's rated at 2-3.5 PSI """""""

The "rated" pressure sometimes is other than the actual pressure.

Check the pressure at the carburetors with the pump and the engine running and with a pressure gage. Anything more than 3 psi and you should use a regulator up by the carbs.

If I were you in any case I'd run a Holley low pressure reg 2-5psi adjustable and set it at 2.5 psi as thats the pressure the SU's are happiest at.

dklawson

Yoda
That's the Purolator regulator shown in the Whitney link. It's OK... I have one on the GT6. However, as JerryB said above, check the actual pressure at the carbs... (even with the Purolator regulator). That particular regulator isn't necessarily the most accurate.

That Mr. Gasket pump looks like a "curved frame" version of the Facet pump. It certainly has a good price. Please post back after you've run the pump for a while and tell us how you like it, if it's reliable, and how loud it is.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
Re: Aftermarket Fuel Pump nad history lesson......

""""""I just got one from JC Whit for $25 bucks."""""""

History lesson.....
back in the 60's there was a company called Alondra. They made a cute litle fuel pressure regulator with a dial and numbers on it. It didnt work to well but there werent very many if any other regulators around. They wer cheap also.

Fast forward to the 70's and they sold to Chicago Rawhide who doubled the price and added a fancy package with 2 barb fittings and a piece of hose. the regilator also got the ball burnish treatment and cast in numbers for looks.

Purolator then bought the regulator deal from CR and the price was almost doubled again. It continued to sell but there was more of a selection availiable by the 80's.

So what we have today is a little toy with numbers that are hardly acurate and a high failure rate unit. A bonus is that the adjusting knob sometimes come off and leaks fuel. In addition there is one huge restriction in the reg and it wont support much fuel flow but its fine up to 150 hp.

The Holley regulator #12-804 is by far a better part and is only a fiver more...AND ..it is rebuildable with a 12-807 kit which has a new diafram/springs and is about $4.

dklawson

Yoda

That is cool information. I always thought the Purolator regulator was a bit marginal in performance. I didn't realize it had been that way for so long!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
That is cool information. I always thought the Purolator regulator was a bit marginal in performance. I didn't realize it had been that way for so long!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey DK would you believe it's a piece of junk and always has been.that Jerry knows what he be going on about.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

I'd bought one of the CR ones to put on the Elan (mid-'70's). Had to go thru three to get one without a built-in leak, or a spontaneous change of the pressure "dial." By the late '80's (after duct-taping dials for too long) I broke down and put a Holley unit on it. That cured any and all ills.

...and I can't believe I'm in tacit agreement with keoke. sheesh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.
I know just exactly how far I can throw one of those dial type regulators.
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Mehheh... "perimeter established" Jeff? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
jhorton3

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

It'll be a while before I can try the pump out. I'm trying to get the car running again. New tank coming in the next week or two. I tried an aftermarket pump (not this brand) without a regulator on a 73 B-GT. The HIF carbs turned into petroleum fountains. Even with a regulator (Purolator) they still had problems flooding. Ultimately though, the issue was with worn carbs. The next owner fitted a different set and it worked fine.

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
What about the Carter electric fuel pump, I understand that it is a high volume low pressure pump with none of the pulsing issues of the facet "square" pump. All pressure reducers are restrictors of some sort, so if you have more than 95 to 100 hp it can be a problem on long straights.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
A word about the Purolator style pressure regulators from a friend of mine who knows his stuff. The better unit is the Holley one with gauge. As he says"The dial deal is just an orifice. All it does is induce a pressure drop
(aka "backpressure"). The pressure drop is directly proportional to the
square of the flow. The pressure is not regulated, it is merely reduced.
The Holley regulator has a diaphragm with upstream pressure on one side
and downstream sense pressure on the other. The regulator moves to
actively control the area of the orifice that fuel passes thorugh (I
think it's actually a needle valve) and it regulates the pressure,
somewhat constantly (all regulators droop as inlet pressure increases,
but that isn't really an issue). They work fine until the diaphragms
rip, and they do."

Peter C

dklawson

Yoda
Is this the Carter (Federal Mogul) pump you're talking about?
https://www.hillmanimages.com/912/030125-1686.html
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BZX92K/nextag-auto-20/ref=nosim

If it is, you can get them at NAPA (or at least they used to carry them). I like them. The only thing you need to remember about them is that they use the flowing gas to cool the pump. If your fuel filter plugs, or you run out of gas while idling, the pump can run dry long enough to overheat and melt internally. However, they are a quieter pump than the Facet (they whine instead of TICK).

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
No, it's the Carter 4070 rotary pump, pumps 6gph @ 4psi that way a regulator is not needed for Webers or for SU's.