• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

aftermarket fuel pump mounting help?

Moose33

Jedi Hopeful
can I get some advice / help from anyone using an aftermarket fuel pump? I finally located a facet fuel pump and am having a difficult time finding a suitable place to mount it, clear the brake lines, and attatch in/out fuel lines. Do I need to bend the steel lines too?

perhaps I should just connect the lines under the car and put the pump in the engine bay?

if anyone has photos of their mounted pump that would be a HUGE plus! Thanks (again) in advance.

Guy
'71 B

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
That's an interesting question. I've just acquired an after market fuel pump too, and have pretty much the same questions. I thought about mounting it near the original fuel pump and just connecting the new one 'in line' with the SU that's still in the car. However, the 'under the hood' position sounds interesting too, but connecting it to switched power lines would be a bit more difficult I would imagine. If it's near the original location you can use the original wires to power the pump, at least. Under the hood you's probably have to run new wires... I'm guessing here. I'm sure someone knows better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DonPete3

I put mine in the trunk behind the "back seat". You will probably want to mount it on some rubber gaskets as it rattles when you turn the ignition.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
It can be mounted either way. If you mount it under the bonnett then just ground it at one of the mounting fasteners, and connect the switched "hot" wire off the fuse that originally powered the old pump. Be very sure to mount it on some kind of insulator as aftermarket punps tend to be very noisy. I had one that a PO screwed directly to the firewall! all I could hear was that durn thing ticking away. Mounted it on a pair of muffler insulators and took care of 90% of the noise.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
When you say " and just connecting the new one 'in line' with the SU that's still in the car" I hope you do not leave the malfunctioning pump in the line...it will serve as a block and will cause the engine to starve for fuel at cruising speed. This is a very frustrating situation, as the engine gets enough gas a slower speeds (when you first start it or after it stalls out on the road and refills and is very difficult to diagnose! Don't ask how I know, but trust me, take the old one out!

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
Moose33

Moose33

Jedi Hopeful
thanks for the replies. what I thought was going to be a 20 minute swap has now lasted 2 days (of various running to parts stores and cursing) but I have the new pump in and She's getting fuel w/out leaks now (hooray).

I really want to thank everyone for lurking and posting alike! What you guys and gals have to say really DOES make a difference.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you do not leave the malfunctioning pump in the line...it will serve as a block and will cause the engine to starve for fuel at cruising speed. This is a very frustrating situation, as the engine gets enough gas a slower speeds (when you first start it or after it stalls out on the road and refills and is very difficult to diagnose! Don't ask how I know, but trust me, take the old one out!

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrr... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I already did it, and uhm... the engine is still acts like it's starving for fuel the same as it was before... Only took me a couple of hours to get it in stalled. I'll have to revisit it tonight when I get home from work. I should be able to by-pass the original pump fairly easily.