• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Abandoned Engine

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
While dropping off my engine bits at the machine shop yesterday, the owner asked me if I needed a 18V engine. I don't remember what year it was from but the engine tag was 18V584Z-L18213. He has the block 0.030" over, crank 0.010 under, rods (resized) and flywheel. He says the owner abandoned it a while back and only wants his bill out of it. I don't think the shop has but about 300 bucks in it so might be a tastey delight for someone looking for that particular engine. He has the stock pistons as well but I don't think they are worth shipping personally. Anyway, if there is anyone that is interested, I would be happy to get you the shop information.
JC

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
JC, Acording to my info. the numbers indicate that it's probably a 72 to 74 engine.The Z partially indicating that it came with twin carburetors and the L says it was originally a low compression engine. If my info. is wrong, someone please correct me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif PJ

GTsRFine

Jedi Hopeful
I went by and had a look at it yesterday. The pistons are toast, but the rods, crank & block are fine. They've already been cleaned & machined out to 10/10 on the crank and +30 on the bores. The flywheel's there also and has been resurfaced.
I took the parts home. I owe you a beer sometime JC. Also give me a call on that 1500 engine you are working on.

OP
jcatnite

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I'm glad that it worked out bud. That machine shop is a trip isn't it? The one thing about him is he is the only machine shop that the local racers at the dirt tracks and drag strip will use on this side of the river. I'll give you a buzz when I get back. I'm in Cullman, Alabama right now. Going to the Lufkin machine shop tommorrow to witness them cut and harden a intermediate pinion for me. It is for a gearbox at work. The bull gear on this monster is around 5' in diameter and it's one of my small ones...lol
JC

You're just outside the woods from me right now! I've been to cullman tons of times! Yes there are lots of good little machine shops 'round here!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It's sold. I missed it by 2 hours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif PJ

OP
jcatnite

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Yeah but I found out last night what it means when they tell you it's in a dry county...lol. What evil scientist came up with that concept?
JC

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You don't want to know - but we'll slowly change that law...

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I didn't know that there were any DRY Counties in South Carolina? At least not around me! And, I was only kidding about missing the engine. I have two in the shed now and I really don't need another one. PJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Paul - I think the dry county he was talking about was in Alabama where the machine shop is located....

Yeah, there's lots of dry counties 'round here... Usually the best counties to get some of the homemade distilled stuff too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Heck, across the Tennessee state line from me is where the Jack Daniel distillery is located - in a DRY county! You can't buy or serve Jack Daniels in the place where its made!

You can buy it... At a little shop there in downtown Lynchburg! You just can't drink any while your there... (you can taste some on the distillery tour though - If you've been a couple hundred times and the tour guide recognises you - hehehehehehe)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That little shop was out of business when Jerri & I went up to eat at Miss Bobo's not long ago...they told use at lunch that there was no place where you could get it right now...but that the distillery was working on getting set up to sell the decorative containers...seems they're different than the regular bottles as nobody drinks the Jack in those containers!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I live in a "dry town"...my borough of 4000 people just accross the river from Harrisburg, but we had a nice State Store with an excellent sellection of wine and liquors and one of the biggest beer distributors in the area that sells only by the case. "Dry" means that none of the resturants can serve alcoholic drinks, but most allow you to bring your own beer or wine and they will provide glasses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My favorite resturant is two blocks away...great Mexican food and salted glasses and ice for the Margaritas we bring with us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif Most of my neighbors have the best stocked home bars you have ever seen!

Gotta love PA laws! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bruce

Bruce