• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB '73 mgb and 91 ford van engine swap...

Razzoo

Freshman Member
I have a '73 mgb, (not running, body good), and a Ford Van.

I have found that the ford van I have has 4.0l variant of a 60 degree v6 Cologne engine. https://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar40123.htm.

I am thinking of transplanting engine, tranny, rearend out of the van into the 'B.

I am looking for someone who may have done this; or know someone who may have done this. I drove the 'B for 10yrs with the 1.8, but am looking for more power. I don't want to trash the handling, but what I am looking for here is a a bit of a cruiser, with some power and torque and the the persona of a retro racer (For the twisties I have a '91 MR2 turbo).

I have owned a '73 mgb for 21 years.

Steve_S

Yoda
You're looking at a major project which will result in a car with completely different character. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but there are other options. Have you considered a Supercharger? The drivetrain swap will be a major project while a supercharger can be installed in an afternoon with minimal tools. Plus you will end up with the same car you know and love, only with a lot more power.

OP
Razzoo

Razzoo

Freshman Member
I wish it were that easy; she has been parked for 10 yrs or so. Prior to that, she was using oil, and I had to run straight 50 to keep the oil pressure up at idle. If I were to keep the 1.8 a rebuild would be in order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Still much easier than a custom drivetrain. But if that's what you want, go for it. There must be hot rod or custom car guys in your area. Plan to work on the car yourself when completed since most mechanics won't have an understanding of how it all works like you will.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Right now I'm putting a Chevy 3.4 V6 in a '69 Gt....not as easy as it seems...Friday I was so depressed I thought about shooting it....today I got the engine ready to bolt to tranny....there's always something you don't think about

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
The 4.0L may be a little on the wide side for the
engine compartment, but it should be doable, I've
got the 2.6L in my GT, there are a couple things to
watch out for, the oil filter fouls the framerail,
but a remote kit fixes that, the starter, if it has
the goofy solenoid fouls the drivers footwell, a BFH
massage fixes that, the tunnel may beed the same type
of massaging if you're going to run an AOD, the mounts
for the original engine have to go, but other than
that, it's a simple job if you have the right skills...

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I am sure you have your heart set on a V8 but I would not think twice and have the old engine pulled and rebuilt or replaced if necessary. Cheaper in the long run I am sure and, being more of a purest, the car has not been altered. Last thing is the car will also have more value if that is of any concern.

Bruce

G

Just another thought for you. I asked a couple of guys with V8 conversions if they would ever go back to the 4cyl and I got an instant nope----never.
Bob

A

Americanshine

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifGreat!! I have 4 MGB's. My most recently aquired is a 73 and it is in sad shape. Here in this great state of California since we do not have to "smog" this year I am starting the V8 transgression. THis car will see a small block chevy with a turbo 350 behind it. First I will do the mock up to get the motor mounts and trans in place. I will keep everybody up to date on this project. Have yerself a great day stuffing this project together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
I agree with Bruce there are bette ways to get performance up without swaping motors, and if you ever want to sell it you might regret it.

toplesshorse

Freshman Member
Wow, as I look at the tunnel in my naked midget a side of me thinks how Carrol Shelby must have felt just thinking of American muscle in a little nimble car. Then the practicle knuckel busted side of me thinks there is not enough angle iron in the states to beef up the frame. Have you ever launched a '65 Vette with a built 427. I have. Scary man! Not to mention the trans tunnel would have to just be cut out completely. Where you going to put a 4 core radiator in the trunk? You can ya know.

Honestly I admire your fortitude. I look forward to following your project. I still have a lot of steel work to do before I touch the mechanical work. An all aluminum small block with a rock crusher HHHMMMMM! You makes me think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif