• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Advice for new MGB owner?

joelodom

Country flag
Hello! I just bought my Dad‘s 1970 MGB. He was the original owner and kept it pretty nice. It runs well and is well cared for overall, I want to take good care of it Other than reading through these threads, what do I need to think about? Are there customizations I should consider? How do I make sure I don’t make a mess of anything? I’ve never owned an old car before.

IMG_4187.jpeg

OP
J

joelodom

Country flag
Thanks, Bob. Right now I'm in learning mode. Reading the manual, trying to understand what's going on in the machine to know what to keep an eye on. I just discovered that it's been operated with the overdrive lever on for an unknown amount of time, but maybe that's okay because the lever doesn't seem to do a thing.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Congratulations on the great looking MG! As we heard back in the 1980s "Trust, but verify".

"the lever doesn't seem to do a thing"

hmmm - something wrong there. Could be the OD system died. Take it slow when you're investigating.

First advice I have: find and join a local MG or British car club. You'll get some hands-on experienced advice from folks who can come take a look at problems in person. One suggestion:

It's great that you're following your dad's tradition. Good to have you with us!
Tom M.

Little1

Freshman Member
Country flag
Make it a goal to learn how to do a basic tune up. New cars are maintenance free. Old cars, however, need regularly scheduled adjustments to valves, points, timing, brakes, and sometimes carburetors - in addition to the changing of fluids and filters you would expect.

When all cars were this way, you would find a mechanic on every corner capable of diagnosing, by ear, and repairing, often by adjustment. Now, cars are diagnosed by plugging in a reader to see what the onboard computer has recorded, and repairs are often accomplished by replacing sensors that feed that computer information so the computer in the car can make the adjustments. As result, today's technicians are trained differently and experienced in different arts.

In other words, you are literally the best mechanic for your car available today, because you care and you have the time to research something that the person in the shop does not. Armed with a good service manual, model specific internet forums, and a local club, you will be amazed at how good a mechanic you really are. This interaction with the vehicle, challenge and success, becomes as much of the reward of a relationship with a classic car as driving it.

Get a little notebook from the dollar store and a pencil and put it in the car. Record the dates and mileage and part numbers of your efforts. Over time, it will be invaluable for keeping track of not only what is needed, but also provide clues for investigating solutions for things. I'm not quite as old as that makes me sound, I use screens for everything else, but the old ways for the old cars do work and have a mellow vibe at the same time.

Enjoy the journey.

Last edited:

Bob Branson

Country flag
You are blessed with a documented original chrome-bumper B, (even if it IS a Leyland and not BMC.). Don't change ANYTHING, because it will make it less collectible. Beginning with '68s, there were sometimes smog pump problems that gave everyone fits at first. All good advice above, but the best was to join an MG club. Car guys are always happy to help.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks, Bob. Right now I'm in learning mode. Reading the manual, trying to understand what's going on in the machine to know what to keep an eye on. I just discovered that it's been operated with the overdrive lever on for an unknown amount of time, but maybe that's okay because the lever doesn't seem to do a thing.

All the cars had the overdrive lever - it doesn't mean you necessarily have an overdrive transmission (they just didn't want to make 2 versions of the combined control lever). You would have to look at the actual transmission from below to see if it has an overdrive unit on the back end.

OP
J

joelodom

Country flag
Thanks! I bet my Dad purchased it without overdrive, if that was an option in 1970. I'll take a peek and see if I can tell. So much to learn...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Right now I'm in learning mode. Reading the manual, trying to understand what's going on in the machine to know what to keep an eye on. I just discovered that it's been operated with the overdrive lever on for an unknown amount of time, but maybe that's okay because the lever doesn't seem to do a thing.

Just curious, what is the "lever" you refer to? And the best manual for the car will be the Bentley Press "Official MGB" publication.

Looks like you've a gem there, BTW.

OP
J

joelodom

Country flag
Thanks! The overdrive switch is on a lever on the right side of the steering column, but it's inoperative or the car didn't come with OD. I checked on the Bentley Press book and it looks like Official MGB is only available for 1975+, as far as I can tell. I love driving it. I've gotten used to its idiosyncrasies. I'm going to post a question or two in a new topical thread after I search the forums to see if it's been asked before.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My guess is you do have an overdrive fitted. It should only work (and only be switched on) in third and/or fourth gear. I don't recall seeing the lever style OD switch mounted in the binnacle of non-OD 1970-'76 cars.

Check Ebay periodically for the Bentley manual appropriate to your year. They do come up. And a club member in your area may know of one available as well.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm going to post a question or two in a new topical thread after I search the forums to see if it's been asked before.
You won't get dinged for asking something that may have been posted in the past, this place is built to be tolerant and informative. (y)

OP
J

joelodom

Country flag
My guess is you do have an overdrive fitted. It should only work (and only be switched on) in third and/or fourth gear. I don't recall seeing the lever style OD switch mounted in the binnacle of non-OD 1970-'76 cars.

Check Ebay periodically for the Bentley manual appropriate to your year. They do come up. And a club member in your area may know of one available as well.

I found a copy of the 1962 - 1974 version. Thanks!

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I'm assuming the lever to which he refers is the windscreen wiper lever - which also functioned as the OD switch - changed with the OD switch was moved to the shift knob. I thought the same switch was used regardless of the transmission. Even that lever on my first MG ('72 Midget) flicked back and forth. I assumed they only used one switch to avoid stocking two different parts...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm assuming the lever to which he refers is the windscreen wiper lever - which also functioned as the OD switch - changed with the OD switch was moved to the shift knob. I thought the same switch was used regardless of the transmission. Even that lever on my first MG ('72 Midget) flicked back and forth. I assumed they only used one switch to avoid stocking two different parts...
P'rolly right, Joe.

OP
J

joelodom

Country flag
I took it to a car show this morning and met a very knowledgeable mechanic. He looked at the transmission and said it doesn't appear to have an overdrive. Thanks, everyone for the advice! I have a lot of fresh advice from this morning to digest.