• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Advice wanted on HF impact wrench purchase

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I finally have a compressor that will run an impact wrench. I'd like one that will remove the front crankshaft nut.

Am looking at the bewildering variety of air wrenches in the HF catalog and would like some experience-based guidance.

How many Ft Lbs do I need for the front nut? Was unable to find a torque value for it.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Forget the air impact and just buy a 1/2” milwaukee battery impact instead .
These impact wrenches far outdo anything my air impact can .

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well steveg

I might suggest that an electric powered Impact wrench is a better choice than an air powered one, whether it is rechargeable
or 120 / 240 volts AC IS INDIVIDUAL CHOICE .

BUT mop THEY ARE JUST SO MUCH MORE ADAPTABLE THAN THE AIR POWERED DEVICES.--just A THOUGHT

I am not at my shop and I am heading out of town, But I vaguely think it is 750 ft. / Lbs.

However. It will remove the crank nut in a split second.

Last edited:
Country flag
... How many Ft Lbs do I need for the front nut? ...

All of them.

I got HF's 3/4" wrench, but couldn't find an impact socket in the right size so used a regular socket (carefully). The problem is getting at the nut with the cross bracket (not the right word, I know), even with the engine raised. IIRC, there are some 'compact' wrenches, but don't recall if I got one. Of course, if the engine's on the bench or stand, no problemo.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Steve, I have the HF Earthquake 1" impact and it is not stronger than my battery powered Dewalt. In fact, I have not had it out for years now. Always using the battery version.
Jerry

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the advice. Will consider the electrics, too.

Some advertise "2 inch anvil" - what does that do?

Steve,

AFAIK, the "anvil" is the part of the wrench to which the socket attaches. You probably mean 1/2" anvil, otherwise you're shopping in the battleship tools department. I just bought this Rigid 18volt cordless unithttps://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...ch-Tool-Only-with-Belt-Clip-R86011B/301996008 It's very highly rated and it seems to have the juice on rusted lug nuts, anyway. Shop around and get it as part of a set with other tools, batteries and charger and you'll save a lot of money over just buying it individually with battery and charger.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Because of the cross member issue I tried breaker bars, then breaker bars with two foot pipe extensions with no luck. I ended up buying a large combination wrench, with the box end on the nut and my WW hammer whacking the other end it loosened with a few blows. The breaker bars, even the high quality ones, have some flex in them, the wider cross section of the big wrench, not so much, so force of the hammer blows times leverage go directly to the nut.

I would like to get a good electric wratchet and impact wrench, I have had air tools for years and just never got in the habit of using them much, my compressor is too noisy so I have to fire it up, with attendant noise, anytime I want to use them.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Probably 2" long, not 2 inches wide.......The anvil is called that because that is what gets hit by the spinning hammer inside. When you see how these things work it's amazing they last through more than a few uses at all.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought a plug-in Sears Craftsman impact wrench, which I mostly use on lug nuts when changing over to/from winter wheels on non-Healey vehicles. Works great. I was tempted to get a battery powered tool but wanted to avoid yet another battery to recharge and eventually replace. And since I only use it in the garage, there are outlets conveniently located.

dcarlg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Harbor Freight electric 1/2 inch impact worked fine to remove my crankshaft nut. About $40. Took several seconds. I bought the impact socket from ebay. 1 11/16". And a socket for the camshaft nut, 1 5/16".
Good luck.
Douglas