• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A `67 TR4A-IRS on ebay for $4600 / Scam or Stupid?

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks;

Here`s another Outstanding Purchase Opportunity:

`67 TR4A-IRS in Mint Condition for $4600.00 (Item # 2801292282:

Some body please email this guy & buy it and then let me know What a Jerk I was for Not Buying It!

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
I live close to VB in KC and I am in there way to much. Anyway, there is a really nice TR4A on the board for $11,000 if anyone is interested. You could call the city desk and get the info.

D

Deleted member 7471

This one has SCAM all over it. Right after the auction opened I asked the guy if I could come look at it. So far - no respondo.

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks:

Its still there and the Bid is @ $3850.00 / 4days to go / 13 Bids / Seller has never had a Transaction before:

Sorry; I missed a couple of Numbers in one of my other posts relative to the Listing: Here it is again: 280129228293:

I agree; Somebody let Tinster know about this if its legit? I doubt It!

Regards, Russ

PS: I emailed the Seller to Confirm his Cost of $4600.00 and "No Reply"?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

TR4

Jedi Knight
The reserve has not yet been met. Wonder if he set it higher than the $4600 cost in the text. An interesting auction to watch. I would guess it goes for around 10K. Several bidders already battling for it.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Personally TR4; I would expect a TR4A-IRS in this cond. to Sell for over $15K without thinking about it: Just look @ the Engine Bay; Sparkles like the rest of the Car: The only thing I see missing is the Orig Steering Wheel and I did`nt notice the Radio, Yet:

"I Wonder"? Does the Girl in the pic go with the Car for $4600.00?

"TINSTER" ARE YOU READING THIS THREAD? IF NOT; PERHAPS YOU SHOULD BE OR ARE YOU ALREADY BIDDING ON THIS ONE?

I`m watching it for sure & waiting for a reply from the Seller: Its been too long now!

See Ya Later;

Regards, Russ

PS: I just took a quick peek & we`re @ $4050.00: Can`t wait to see what happens when It hits the $4600.00 mark: /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks;

Just took a fast peek again: She`s hit $4680.00 and the Reserve Has Not Been Met:

Is this Legal by ebays standards? When someone posts something For Sale for a given Price (Not a Buy It Now Price); Are`nt they Legally Bound to Sell It for that Figure?

This is an Interesting Auction!

No response from the Seller as of yet?

Keep on watching the action;

Regards, Russ/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
"Interesting":

I just emailed ebay about the Cost of this item & If It`s a Legally Binding Contract for Myself to purchase this item for $4600.00 since the Seller shows it in his text:

Ebays reply is: The item no longer is avail. or its gone; been removed or something like that?? Yet; Its still shown & accepting bids??

Maybe someone on ebay is part of this Scam??

I just can`t believe it! Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pukeface.gif

4aKen

Jedi Trainee
I think the seller just left off a one.
I think the text/photos could be better thought out and presented. It has a nice body. The interior is rough by 4a standards.
What prompted me to write this is more and more I'm seeing these jacked up rearends on the irs 4a. I've owned my 1966 since 1966...independents came in low on the back fenders...healey in stance...I liked it then and I like it now.

I get a kick out of your posts Russ.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
toysrrus said:
Is this Legal by ebays standards? When someone posts something For Sale for a given Price (Not a Buy It Now Price); Are`nt they Legally Bound to Sell It for that Figure?

Not when the reserve has not been met.

Obviously, the $4600 comment is a mistake. The actual reserve is obviously higher than that.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
"MORE INTERESTING STUFF";

I can`t wait to get up in the AM & see what`s happening in the World these days!

This TR is "DOWN" to $4650.00 as of this AM??

I sent ebay a letter asking If the Seller is infact Liable to Sell Me the Car due to the fact that the Selling Price is listed in the Text and there is "NO RESERVE"! Cause I`ll Buy It before "Tinster" does!! Ebay is Investigating:

Thanx 4aKen; I do not speak with "Forked Tongue":
Randall; Please note: "NO RESERVE" on this TR:

I`m quite certain that the Seller forgot to put a "One" ($14,600) into his/her Listing: This is their 1st Listing with ebay: Strange Part is; No reply from the Seller relative to "Any Questions Asked"?

Well; Lets see what happens Today;

Gone Golfing;

Regards, Russ

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If you look at the bidding history you'll see 10 bids that have been retracted... including a couple that were clearly trying to test if the reserve was in fact $4600.

I don't see anything here that looks clever enough to be a scam, more likely a first-time seller who made a dog's breakfast of his ad with an incorrect 'price'.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Correction -- the bids in question were 'cancelled' not 'retracted' and all were cancelled at the same time (about 90 minutes ago).

Does 'cancelled' mean the seller removed them?

Maybe this guy should end the auction & start over.

Okay, I think I get it. The guy wants to change his listing (we can guess what/why) but cannot do so once there are bids. So he cancels all the bids so far with a message to the bidders 'Email me'. Problem is he immediately starts getting more bids before he can revise the listing.

Wouldn't have worked anyway as per eBay:
"Note: Removing a bid does not enable you to revise the listing."

roofman

Jedi Knight
There is no buy it now actually set up on ebay, so if it passed $4600 it can go as high as it goes. A friend of mine was watching a range rover last weel with a $10,999 buy it now. The reserve was lower, and once met the buy it now disapeared, and it sold for almost 12K. I believe this is a scam myself. No 0 feedback seller will have as fancy of an ad.

D

Deleted member 7471

It's a SCAM I tell you - this one is following the same trend as a TR4A I tracked about 3 months ago and another that came up about 3 weeks ago. I don't know the exact angle, but on the first one the seller kept retracting bids up until the last minute and then started emailing the 'cancelled' bidders offering to sell the car for the 'asking' price of something like $5800. The deal was that you had to pay 1/2 down to some fence he had set up, the car would be delivered to you for inspection then if satisfied you would pay the balance, ya da, ya da. The key was that you had to pay the 1/2 down via a money wire to some character in Miami (a money wire is like sending cash as explained and warned about on eBay). All this is done via private email outside of eBay (notice he provides his private email in the description) with a lot of good story line to make it sound convincing.
Out of interest, I followed along until I figured out what was going on. While he was waiting for me to wire him the money, I emailed him and said 'I believe you're a scammer aren't you'. No response.
I don't know how this one will turn out, but I bet several people 'bought' the first car (eBay cancelled the second auction after about 2 days - I guess he got caught on that one.)
Glenn

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
toysrrus said:
Randall; Please note: "NO RESERVE" on this TR:
Hmmm, didn't save the text when I first looked at the auction, but I did not see that then, and it's not there now. However, I did see (and still do) the "<u>Reserve not met</u>" which says there is a reserve, no matter what the comments say.

roofman said:
The reserve was lower, and once met the buy it now disapeared,
Right. That's the way "Buy It Now" has always worked, the first bid over the reserve/minimum cancels the BIN offer.

Geo Hahn said:
Does 'cancelled' mean the seller removed them?
Yup, that's the distinction between "retracted" and "cancelled".

I like the theory that the seller was trying to correct the mistake without cancelling the auction. He probably didn't know it wouldn't work.

Seems a most unlikely scam to me ... what could he be hoping to accomplish ? Drum up more interest in his auction ?